Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryder Cup 2020 [Official Thread!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭abff

Good article, but I have to take issue with one comment that is incorrect, but is widely seen as being correct. The comment is that Ryder Cup matches are usually very close affairs.

This was certainly true from 1987 to 1999, when none of the 7 matches was won by more than 15-13 and even 2002 was close enough at 15.5-12.5. But the next three Ryder Cups were won by margins of 9, 9 and 5 points respectively and after two close competitions ending 14.5 - 13.5 in 2010 and 2012, the subsequent three have been won by margins of 5, 6 and 7 points.

So only two out of the last eight Ryder Cups have been close. I guess it’s the close ones we remember, because they are the most exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭srfc d16

Were any of these games won early and then matches that were still on course conceded? I don't really remember how they broke down but it could explain the winning margins

• Registered Users Posts: 17,680 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

One thing that's needs to stop going forward is the home captain being able to set the course up to suit their team. Needs to be independent. Think that's why the winning margins have been increasing.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Will McDowell make captain or is it poulter after Westwood?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I recall a period of around 20-30 minutes when it looked like there might be a serious momentum switch in 2018, around midway through the singles or thereabouts. Didn't happen obviously but it was interesting for a while, so while it might not always be close according to the scoreboard, it usually does come down to the final few matches more often than not.

• Advertisement

No, they play each match to its conclusion.

As to it being due to course setup, 5 of the 6 matches with wide margins were home wins, so I guess it might be a factor.

I don't think McDowell will make captain. There have been three recent captains from Ireland and I think we might have to wait for Rory or Shane before we get another one. Probably Westwood next, but they might give the following one to someone from the continent (Stenson, perhaps) and the one after that to Poulter, followed by Sergio.

Having said the above, Graeme has been involved at the players' representative level for quite a while, has been vice captain more than once and the 2027 Ryder Cup is in Ireland, so who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭techdiver

I would say McDowell will definitely make captain at some point. Multiple Ryder Cup player and major champion. Don't even think it's in question. Could very well get it for Adare Manor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I dont think shane/rory is a definite combo, I'd love to see it though.

I think we could see Shane with Fleetwood and or Rahm at some some stage

I think Rory/Poulter could play a lot together

Also think Garcia/ Weisberger will be a partnership we see

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I think Paddy is going to play everyone each day, depth is there, maybe Westy and Poults just once a day given their age now

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Stenson is as Vice captain as expected, nice to have him involved, future captain imo.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Ryder Cup: Brooks Koepka says US v Europe contest is 'odd' and 'hectic' - BBC Sport

Zinger wants him out if he doesn't want to be there. I don't think many USA players really have any interest in playing.

Season is over for them.

If you asked Eldrick about his achievements and records I don't think Ryder Cup will be said without prompting.

Sounds like brooks doesn't want to play foresomes! Tiger wouldn't talk about his achievements in the ryder cup because there aren't many, has a terrible ryder cup record.

It's the only thing that Europe has over the US, team spirit. Will it be enough to get them over the line who knows.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

You wouldn't be very encouraged reading that from an American perspective, but at least Koepka is being straight up and honest about it, not trying to fake it and talk about how much "fun" they're all having, as they often do. A shame, though, that some of these guys can't seem to figure out that everything that's unique and different about the RC is precisely what makes it great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I’m often torn between thinking Brooks is refreshingly honest and thinking is he just a bit of a ****?

Why does he feel the need to tell the press this? Would it not be better for the team if he kept his mouth shut at least til it’s over? Why make yourself the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭finglashoop

dont think he should be bashed for being honest.

its a rare thing as most sportspeople are media trained to boredom.

Wouldn't be surprised if Stricker is secretly hoping Brooks pulls out through injury and he can get Billy Horshel or someone else unto the team.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

It’s a pity the Americans don’t have the same team spirit as the Europeans . Too much money in the pga tour now? On paper should always win but Europe normally do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

His honesty is always negative though. Seems like a sour individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Honesty is good. World is turning into don't say anything if not positive. If you criticise someone you are a bad person

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

there is a difference between being critical and being a giant douche though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Tiger Woods has won one Ryder Cup in his entire career.

The Americans don't care about it anywhere near as much as the Europeans.

The one he did win in Boston, they certainly looked like they cared that time anyway! I think they do care, most of them at least, but the chemistry has never come naturally as it has for the Europeans. And once you have to work at it, the harder it gets. I think it makes it all the more interesting but series could do with a close contest this year and, dare i say it, even a home win.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Really surprised to see Rahm playing this week, given his age and #1 he should be playing all 5 matches in less than a weeks time

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Yeah I'd something to do with money and sponsors, Harrington isn't happy.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Only level par yesterday . Maybe a missed cut coming up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Trampas

Where did you see Harrington not pleased with Rahm playing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

got a very bad stomach bug tuesday, had to miss the pro am wednesday. Said the bug was worse than anything he felt with covid. Probably still feeling the after effects yesterday for his first round

Advertisement