Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryder Cup 2020 [Official Thread!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Serious experience advantage for Europe

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭Trampas

or half the us team combined since 6 are rookies but doesn’t sound as good

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Rahm not bothering his A** lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Koepka tries way too hard to be edgy and outspoken. The comments yesterday were yet another example of this. He really is an XXXXX XXXX.

MOD EDIT No personal insults per Forum Charter please

Post edited by slave1 on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

So folks, any deals to get Sky Sports over the weekend?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,149 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Now TV, 10e for a month. Its the streaming part of sky, nothing dodgy

https://www.nowtv.com/ie

Can't go wrong for a tenner.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 21,149 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeah I've means to watch it, but legally for a tenner may be worth it so there's no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

I liked brooks at the start, but now he looks like he's trying very hard to be honest.

McIlroy is actually honest - to his detriment at times. He gets a lot of criticism for it. But in the case of brooks, I just don't believe him.

I'm also all slightly unsure of just how good he is. He's won 4 majors in a very short time and he's been there it thereabouts in others. But outside of those 3 years, he didn't win all that much. I wonder a little if he's gone through a golden period and made the absolute most of it. A bit like harrington. And might be go back to being more of a top 10 player than a world number one after this. Also a bit like harrington.

Super stuff, sign up and I'll cancel on Monday in case I forget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

He has won 15th pro events in 212 starts. Apart from 2020 he has won every year he's a pro. A right flash in the pan.

I think he meant performance in Majors, where Rory was there or thereabouts for a few years and has been brutal ever since

I compared him to harrington and said he might go go back to being a top 10 player in he world. Not sure how you read Flash in he pan from that.

Some of his wins are challenge tour / Japanese tour. As regards other euro / pga tour wins I think he has 5. Which is excellent, but probably not quite up there with mcilroy, Johnson and a couple of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

30 major starts. 4 wins. 12 other top 10's, 3 MC in his majors

2, 4, 6 and mc this year.

Maybe cause he doesn't win enough pga events he's not seen as good

He generally is seen as as good, but yes, any doubt that is cast on him is because of his records outside of the majors.

From the top of my head, I can't imagine he's as prolific as rahm, Rory, speith, dj, Justin Thomas. I'd say he's more on the level of bryson, reed, bubba in terms of wins.

He talks about the majors being different and that he struggles to get himself motivated for the regular events. I don't remotely believe that. I think other people just beat him in the regular events. I wonder is it a bit of luck that his wins have come on the biggest days. I suspect there's some truth to what he says about others- that some guys talk themselves out of competing for a major before teeing off on the first day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

In 30 majors, Koepka has finished top 5 in 16. That's nothing to do with luck, maintain that level of consistency and your day will arrive more often than not. Would be very surprised if he doesn't add minimum 2-3 more to that total and ultimately his legacy as one of the greats would be assured, even without a comparable record in regular season events.

Top 10 in 16, not top 5. Which is still great.

I'm not saying he's some cowboy who keeps getting lucky bounces. It's just strange that he doesn't win more outside of the majors. One reason for this could be that he has overachieved in the majors. Or that he has underachieved outside of them. Or that he was a late developer which distorts things.

It's hard to know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Worth remembering that he had knee surgery in March, less than 4 weeks before the Masters iirc (where he was barely able to walk and missed the cut). He wasn't right for the US Open and possibly PGA for me either, the top 10s in that context are something else imo. The fact that he even played the Masters was amazing tbh.

He's a phenomenal golfer who really targets the Majors... Or if people want to look at it another way, he's a phenomenal Major golfer... Either way, pretty phenomenal to me.

He has a different mindset from most, you don't get many Americans doing what he did by going to the European Tour initially. He has been a bit different from the start.

Majors are (almost always) the currency that great golfers are valued upon and he knows that. It may not been seen in a great light by some but they all target the Majors, just some more than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

My bad. It's 12 top 5 finishes out of 30, not 16. I read the wrong column. Doubt there are many could rival him for such consistency.

They're both impressive stats, the point is the same with either.

He already has a place in golf history. Anyone with 4 majors does. Majors are the main determining factor when we compare the greats. But once we get into the conversation we start looking at other factors too. And when you compare him to the others with similar numbers of majors - Els, McIlroy, Singh, Seve, Speith, for those who have as many majors as him he has some catching up to do in every other measure. And for the two lads with one less, a lot of people would look at things other than majors and argue that their record is as impressive or even more impressive.

If he can regain his form from 17-19 for another couple of years he'll be beyond all doubt a great for me, whether it's by adding majors or regular PGA tour wins. But regaining form like that isn't easy. Harrington often talks about players peaking and it lasting for 18-24 months and as far as I can see he's spot on. It's a real test of a player to get back to that level after falling back for whatever reason.

I'm on the fence as to whether or not Brooks will get back to world number 1. I don't think he's going to fall into obscurity or anything like that, but I'm just not certain about it.

• Advertisement

Rory & Poulter

Hovland & Casey

Rahm & Shane

Sergio & Tommy

Guess for the opening foursomes

Sergio & Bernt

Rahm & Tyrell

Lee & fitz

McIlroy & Hovland

Guess for afternoon fourballs

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I don’t think (and hope) Lowry should be playing Foursomes at all to be honest. Wayyyyy too loose off the tee

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭Trampas

I think fourball also. His putting stats aren’t anything to write home about. Give him fourball and see how he goes. Lately he has started slowly also.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

A 3rd vote here for fourball.

I think Garcia with Rahm for the foursomes

And bernt with Fleetwood for the foursomes. BerntWood could be this year Moliwood. Wiesberger is extremely solid off the tee.

Be interesting to see how the practice pairings are lookings

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Furyk captain in 2018 is back as vice captain in 2021. That's odd enough!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Harrington looking nice and relaxed in the press conference!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Lip Out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

He was about average on PGA Tour last season for driving accuracy, ahead of a good bunch of Ryder Cuppers

For the foursomes I’d go with Rahm&Garcia, Shane&Rory, Hovland&Fleetwood, Casey&Fitzpatrick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Lowry Rahm Fleetwood Hatton

Wiesberger Casey poulter Fitzpatrick

Garcia mcilroy Hovland Westwood

Tuesday morning practice pairings

Advertisement