Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭coillcam

I think we all agree that the toothache one was a bit of an IDGAF and GTFO moment but that's mid-round. I'm talking about pulling the handbrake before the event begins.

It's unlikely that a big player will let their sponsors down and Rory is even more unlikely to do something like that. Especially with him being world #1 while also standing as the voice and face of the tour vs Liv. 100% the sponsors have incredible pull here, there's a lot of $$ at stake. You can be sure they'd not tolerate anything sus. The same applies to any major sport.

On the other side of the coin, I may be harsh on this as I don't know the full details. However, Paul Casey was a bit of a waste of space several times before shipping off to Liv. He withdrew from a bunch of events with the same back injury and sometimes took the place that a qualifier or new player would have died for. I dunno if he was getting sponsor heat to play or not. I'd still give him the benefit of the doubt that he thought he could play.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Sentry is an exception as not all PIP players are eligible so him skipping it doesn't mean he has to play all of the rest of the elevated events

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I think his absence is more symbolic, he was vocal in the stance against LIV and then they come up with these elevated events to combat LIV and he misses the first one.....

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

In fairness, this is probably the least important one to miss. It has always been seen as a bit of a jolly and not taken that seriously by the players. If I recall, Phil rarely played in it and only played recently because of the rule where they have to add a new event. Did Tiger play it much? Rory only played in it once. And they're allowed to miss one so I don't get the big deal being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭Trampas

Patrick Reed upset Rory didn’t shake his hand and threw a tee at home 😂

I presume a claim will be in the post for a few hundred million

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Reeds lawsuit against Chamblee/golf channel regarding cheating was dismissed by a judge on Friday so he’ll have to pay all costs I suspect, that’ll cost a lot of dollars, he also threatened CNN last week, even though they didn’t even mention him in a segment on LIV sports washing. He is a mad for the court battles.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10056163-patrick-reed-defamation-lawsuit-vs-golf-channel-dismissed-by-judge.amp.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭Trampas

He’s attention seeking person. I guess playing the villain he prefers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭ForestFire

That's going to put a lot of pressure on him to pay these extra bills, meaning he's going to have to win......hold up....I mean, turn up at a few more tournaments now!!!😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭benny79

How was it not captured on telly? Taught the range etc is all recorded mighten be live was Mcilroy even questioned about it in any interviews?

The reporting of it is weird. Reed greets or acknowledges Harry D while Rory is apparently hunkered down looking at the ground for whatever reason. Reed says hello and Rory ignores (or didn't hear him). Yer man gets the hump and storms off like a child while flicking a tee at him. It's playground stuff tbf.

I'd imagine it's a fairly mild interaction in the bigger scheme of things and similar stuff doesn't get reported. The media will have Reed well-marked after his recent litigation threats against their colleagues. It just happened to be Mr PGA Tour vs one of the most dislikeable sportspersons you could encounter who also is on the Liv tour. I'm not defending Reed in any way, I still think he's an absolute clown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,157 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hopefully this ‘war’ that Rory seems to be fighting won’t affect his golf game.

You need all your concentration available to win golf tournaments especially Majors, not trying to avoid other players.

He might be better off accepting the players while disagreeing with their stance for his own sake.

Let the management of both tours fight it out.

Seems to have focused his mind if you take into account his performances since he spoke out about LIV.

Mcillroy landed at doozy in the presser today, “if I threw a tee at him, I’d be expecting a lawsuit”

https://www.rte.ie/sport/golf/2023/0125/1351744-mcilroy-ready-to-ignore-reed-as-tensions-rise/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Russman

Seems Rory got a subpoena on Christmas Eve.......

Ok so Reed subpoenaed Rory and a lawyer turned up at his gaff with papers on Christmas Eve.

I can hardly imagine Rory saying "Howya Paddy, hope you and the family are keeping well", the next time they met.

If anything the whole thing seems to be fueling a bit of fire in Rory for the last number of months. He'll find it hard to hold off Rahm and Scheffler for #1 ranking this year. Although if he binks a major I don't think he'll be too worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭big_drive

There's a video online of incident, harmless enough. Rory is down fixing a launch monitor or something like that, he probably knew Reed was there but it's not as obvious as that. From the angle Reed approached he could easily have not know someone was there

Reed is ridiculous really, you'd take someone to court like that, then how could you not expect them to ignore you

Pure click bait, Rory should know better than to feed into Reed's trolling

I expect one of Rory's best ever years incoming!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,783 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Reed is the loser in all of this. He's a known cheat and now he's childish and upset with the most popular golfer on tour, Tiger excluded as he's not currently playing.

It's all good for Rory and his stance against that other tour is great too. Standing against murderers, anti Women's and LGBTQIA rights, the attrocities in Yemen and the greedy, uncaring golfers who support them is the right thing to do.

I'm sure he's getting praised for his stance a lot and I'm sure the sponsors are lining up at his door to get any opportunity to be involved with him.

As said above it seems to have fuelled the fire in his belly. It's be great if he won the Masters because I could honestly see him taking off on another major run if he did.

Maybe we need the likes of Johnson, Smith or Reed to get in front early so he can chase them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Lip Out

How exactly did Rory feed into Reed's trolling? By not wanting to say hello to a chap who sent his lawyers around to his house on Christmas Eve as he was there with his family?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hopefully gets off to a good start.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Because Reed loves his name up in lights and someone best managed by not giving him what he wants IMHO.

it is such a shame though as he lifted a RC with his passion but now is loathed

and now it turns our Reed had nothing to do with the subpoena, Reed will be loving this, sad situation we find golf in

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Doesn't change the fact he is making a colossal show of himself starting these ridiculous defamation cases which have no credibility as well as suing the tour of which Rory is one of the leaders of. Any association to that Klayman clown is enough to warrant being ignored

Some finish to the delayed R1 by Rory!

Just a casual birdie-eagle-birdie close.The media will be drooling at the prospect of a Reed and Rory grouping.

And therein lies the ‘problem’ which might affect Rory’s game.

The media will focus on that scenario rather than the game and the competition.

Reed seems es to thrive on the ‘guy you love to hate’ image as proven by previous shenanigans.

If I was advising Rory if would suggest he backs off from being the PGA ‘ spokesman’ and lets the

relevant authorities sort it out.

It would be better for his golf game I would suggest.

Isn’t he on the PGA Tour’s policy Board? Doesn’t that make him part of the relevant authority?

Have you not been watching his golf game? This has stroked the fire, he has even said so himself and bar winning a Major had an incredible year!

Post edited by benny79 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

It does seem to have given him some extra drive or purpose, hopefully he doesn't tire out from it though. Tiger was intensely self-driven, maybe Rory needs more than just winning golf tournaments to really drive him - a "greater purpose" if you want to get philosophical about it!

Advertisement