Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

You could argue that the majors are even more interesting this season with the added LIV factor.

They're both almost playing for their tours as well as themselves, as it'll be huge for either tour to win the majors.

PGA Tour really need a clean sweep of them. Any LIV win would be quite damaging you'd imagine from a prestige perspective and I'd say they can't quite contemplate the unthinkable of LIV winning the most or heaven forbid sweeping the board!

If you were a conspiracy theorist you could argue that this whole conflict could increase interest in golf/majors and increase the profile of the big name players on both tours.

Interesting season ahead either way, which is all we want form a viewing perspective anyway 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Great win by Rory under pressure. The greatest player from this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

Rory ignored him the other day why would Reed offer to shake his hand. And why would Rory want one.

Great win for Rory , showed serious bottle! Hopefully he can transfer that bottle to the majors. Can't see it sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Nice seeing Rory win it like that

That twerky voice of Laura Davies is an irritation

He can't talk to Reed anymore once it goes legal

Well that's not true. why would they be shaking hands. Was a daft comment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There's nothing legal between Reed and Rory. Reed's lawyer acts for another party taking a case against PGA/McIIroy, nothing to do with Reed.

Had this been the other way around the press would clarify but it sells more advert space to leave as is...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Well what's that on sky sports this morning

Rory said Reed served him a supponae on new years eve according to commentator

Must just be twisting the facts for the drama then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Rookie mistake! All of the recording boxes record per the program guide. To my knowledge, none of them will adjust when something overruns or doesnt begin on time. Best to set it up so recordings add 1 hour to anything you record, assuming you have enough storage space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭coillcam

Some B game to finish -19. His short game took the pressure off any mistakes but he tempered out any excess aggression at times.

You can see the mental strain and pressure on the guy but he seemed to deal better than previously. The last year he's played better and been particularly resilient to bad shots or pressure vs the previous COVID seasons. He still won over that period but he's been a level apart since things clicked last year. Can't wait to see the next event when he squares up against Rahmbo who is the in-form #1.

Shame he didn't win more majors earlier in his career

Have to admire his resilience and fortitude to work on his game and execute with the background noise

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Comhrá

His putting has improved immensely. It's world class now. He's sinking a lot more from 12 ft and inside now, and it has elevated his entire game.

Mentally he's beefed up

Could be in for a golden run 🇨🇮🇨🇮

It was Reed's lawyer who was behind the supponae but nothing to do with Reed, a separate action.

Absolutely the press are twisting it, it was a throwaway incident.

There was super golf today and fair dues to Reed he pushed Rory and made it exciting, golf was the winner. Instead the press can't let go of LIV clickbait

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭OEP

With this win Rory reaffirmed himself as the number 1 in my opinion, Rahm a very close second. Will be great to see them up against each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Infoseeker1975

Brilliant win knowing how annoying the reaction from Reed would be if he didn't, thought he played the 18th after the tee shot really well as it ensured a playoff at least. In the last 18 months his putting has improved immensely especially lag putting when in the past he would consistently go 5ft+ away from the cup especially in the final round. I think he will win more than one major in the coming years. 18 months+ ago I would have said little change he would win another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,965 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Something changed late last year. It's like he went to a different level. Hopefully that continues because he's going to win more majors playing like that.

He should do he's got the game and the head for it, you could see that today

Have to hand it to him he's been through a lot in golf terms and now stands atop the pile

He reminds me of Ronnie O'Sullivan in some respects still there and adapted along the way to be the man to beat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭abff

My mistake was not recording the programs that were on after the golf. I used to do this routinely in the past, but it’s been a while since I recorded an early morning tournament and I forgot!

I hope you're right but if I was to give Rory that one win he needs and everything else this year a missed cut I think he'd seriously go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Trampas

Are you on Sky or a different platform? Sometimes sky would be updated but not the likes of virgin media.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭abff

Currently on Sky, but thinking of changing to Virgin media. I was due to get upgraded to Sky Q, but the engineer refused to go on the roof to upgrade the satellite dish because we have an external insulation wrap and he can’t anchor his ladder. Apparently it’s a health and safety mandate. So I’m thinking of moving to a dish free environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,269 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Not golf related, but sky have sky stream now which is satellite free. I assume its available in Ireland.

How is he the man to beat when golf is primarily about winning majors? He hasn't in nearly 10 years. I hope he gets some again but comparisons to Ronnie makes no sense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 chasingbirdies

Delighted for McilRoy and his latest win. Really showed great nerve, if he hadn't have won he would have got hammered by the nay sayers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Three shots back from the lead after round one of the Genesis Invitational. Struggled a fair bit on the greens, a lot of putts had a good look at the hole, but didn't drop. They're ridiculously fast tbf, which normally isn't a bad thing, but with the slopes on the greens, makes some putts look mad. Just giving the ball a slight tap and it running yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,965 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's just a feel thing, it affects chips and putts. He got better as the round went on so you'd expect him to have a good round today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,597 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Rory leads at Bayhill!

Advertisement