Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

A quick glance at this years field shows it didn’t appeal to many of the top golfers, six of the top 50 played, four if you take out the two Irish lads who traveled to support their national open. But carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,201 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Why have you picked 2010? Rory took over the Irish Open in 2015 when the prize fund was the same as Wentworth five years previously courtesy of the government and the tour bailing it out (something that at the time was considered unsustainable). And all DP World Tour events got a bounce from the PGA strategic alliance designed to neuter LIV. The purse this year was still twice what it was back then. Which is a complete reversal of what was happening at the time.

Not "where it would have been". Especially when its future as a European Tour event was very much in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Eagle eye doesn't lose arguments. He'll get a semantics win if nothing else ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,642 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Why did you pick this year and not last year? You picked the year when DP World came in and improved all the prize funds instead of last year when the prize fund was half what it was this year.

Irish open prize fund in 2014 was €2 million, it was €3 million last year. Does that suit you better?

Well it suits that you eventually agree with what I said and stopped pulling odd figures out of nowhere. Yes.

• Advertisement

I don't agree with you. I've agreed from the start that Rory made the Irish Open a lot bigger for a few years. I don't agree that he saved it and I don't agree that the prize money now is bigger because of him.

It was €3 million last year which is €1 million bigger than it was in 2014. Do you think that's a huge difference eight years later?

This year it's bigger but that's got a lot to do with DP world sponsoring the European tour.

Yes, when the likely alternative was it slipping completely from the European Tour. In 2014, Failte Ireland reduced its sponsorship from €1.25 million to €1 million which forced the tour to cover the balance. You think that was sustainable?

I think they'd have found a sponsor. The event is going a long, long time now.

I expect Padraig Harrington would have got involved if it was in real danger. While he wouldn't have anything near the profile of Rory he's linked to a lot of big companies like Rolex, Wilson, Footjoy and Horizon Therapeutics. I'm sure those connections would have brought in a sponsor.

I'm not saying any of those companies would have become the sponsor but between them they can help get one.

I've said all along that Rory made it a much bigger event when he got involved. I'm a big fan of Rory. I'm not trying to say anything against him in any way. I just think people are being ridiculous here saying he saved an event that's been going for 45 years since it's reincarnation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,684 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

You only have to look at the women's Irish open to see how when the sponsors dry up the competition can quickly dissappear.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

This isn't a discussion about whether or not we're fans of McIlroy's, it's about the parlous state of the Irish Open when he took it under his wing and where it is now versus where it might have been had he not. The fact is that for four years, it was subsidised by the Irish government and the Tour and failed to attract a title sponsor in that time. This wasn't sustainable, not least for the fact that during a time of recession, there was a fair degree of dissatisfaction with the government investing taxpayer's money in a sport played by millionaires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Since its reincarnation is case in point. The tournament died a long time and was reincarnated by Carrolls cigarettes coming in and acting as title sponsor stepping away from a tournament they sponsored previously. Tournaments die and disappear all the time. Longevity of the tournament does not matter a damn. If its going to go, it'll go. And the irish open was in serious danger of going.

Saying you reckon padraig would have stepped in is idle speculation. There was no whisper of padraig stepping in. It was an 11th hour move from Rory that saved the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭boardise

Delighted to see Rory playing well again at the CJ Cup in SC. Leading by one going into final round he has a great chance to get the win and regain No. 1 spot in the world. Rahm is probably the main obstacle among the top groupings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Yeah he has had some season. Love watching him in full flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kyleman

Great start to round 4.

Hopefully a win and back to No 1 where he rightfully belongs

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭rooney30

Remember lads on here not so long ago claiming he wasn’t an elite golfer . Lol

Sets up for a good shoot out on the back nine. Rahmbo is not a guy you want hunting you down.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

It is a two horse race now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,156 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

3 putt by Kityama so mcillroy will keep his lead at minimum.

Extends it instead

Super putt, looks home and hosed..

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 21,156 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I thought that was a replay it cut to it so quickly after faffing about with kitayamas reaction

• Advertisement

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Caddy cart

That northern lad is doing all right for a poor golfer!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Well done Rory.

I don't follow the golf this time of year but it's a good win. He's really hit form over the past ten months or so. I've a feeling we'll see his fifth major in 2023.

Thread title needs to change. World number one again. 😎

Finished in the top ten in two thirds of the tournaments he played in this year. Top three in one third of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

He’s in a great place with his game . Bring on 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

As someone who has doubted him in the past, it's great to see him back as world number one again!

I said it at the time and it think it has been proven, his "battle" with LIV/Norman has been very positive for his game. Just seems to have given him a renewed focus/fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Obviously this means a huge amount to him. He was nearly in tears in the post-round interview. Fair play to him, he really grabbed the tournament by the scruff of the neck on the back nine, notwithstanding bogeys on last 2 holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭triddles

World number 1 again will hopefully give him the confidence to win another major.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭triddles

I'd be shocked if anyone was claiming he wasn't elite. Maybe there was lads questioning his lack of majors in the last while? Has that changed or ?

Advertisement