Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Playing devils advocate........

Some people online are arguing that Rory is only finishing so highly in tournaments, and starting to rack up wins now that a good portion of the top competition are no longer on the PGA tour. People with this argument are saying if the likes of DJ, Cam Smith, Brooks etc were playing in these tournaments then Rory would likely have finished further back.

Looking at it completely objectively, what are peoples thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

Brooks has had no form in a while, it's hard to know what to make of his LIV win because it's hard to know what to make of the quality of LIV events.

So from LIV you could say Cam Smith, DJ, Niemann are top 20 players - top 10 for Cam and DJ. That means that Rory is competing against many more players that are equally as good or not far off those players and beating them almost every time he goes out lately. Why would it be any different with them vs Thomas, Scheffler, Rahm et al?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Well 15 of the top 20 played in the CJ Cup, 6 of the top 10. That's a very strong field. Of the players you list, DJ had already slipped out of the top 10 by the time he joined LIV (was 15th). He's now 30th. Brooks was having a dreadful year with five missed cuts including two majors and The Players. Cam Smith is probably the only one of those you mention who's had form this year really.

So effectively we're talking about one player who's had a consistent year who would be challenging McIlroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Yeah both fair points. For the record, I'm not arguing one way or the other. Just curious on peoples opinions on that argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭benny79

I agree the only one imo be Cam and hes not going to win every week. Plus Rory was winning before they all jumped to LIV too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

Totally irrelevant. You can only beat those who compete against you. Those players who went to LIV decided that money is more important than prestige and they’re entitled to make that choice. But the question reminds me of an old Dublin saying “If my aunt had b*l*s, she’d be my uncle.”

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Caddy cart

Not much talk about the bold northern lad here recently. If he was playing bad there would be loads of comments. Imagine if Lowry was near to winning both tours. Ireland best in the world again at everything!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Even though he is doing well, that’s the best thing you could come up with to post?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Anyone know what he needs tomorrow to win the tour?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭paulos53

I think a top 2 is enough but may not need to do that depending on the results of other.

Fleetwood and Meronk both need to win to have a chance. Fitzpatrick needs at least a top 2. If none of those happen then McIlroy's score tomorrow is largely irrelevant.

Ryan Fox has a theoretical chance also but is currently in 26th spot on -1. He will have to shoot the lights out tomorrow to be a factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

It's between Rory and Fitz really. If Matt wins Rory needs to be second (no worse than joint) to be the season champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭AyeGer

You sound like you are just trying to rile people up for a fight.

Rory still playing well, he can’t win them all. I fancy him for the Masters next year.

Wins the race to Dubai for the fourth time.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Between Rory, Leona, Seamus and Shane golf is in a health position on the island.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

and the auld fella, Paddy

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭roverjoyce

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The consistency needed to win something like this is something else. He's had a great year.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Someone from this island winning both the Race to Dubai and the Fedex will likely never happen ever again. Unless Rory does it again.

So it's really something that should be celebrated and commended. I think we take for granted just how good Rory is. Ireland/N Ireland will likely never see a player of his quality again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭benny79

Totally agree. Not only that his level of consistency was noting short of outstanding. I think I heard him say he finished in the top 10 in every tournament bar one not sure if I heard that right but if so that is some achievement!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Well DPWT include majors so his record from last years tour finale - his 1 non-top 10 was 12th!!!:

Abu Dhabi T12

Dubai 3rd

Masters 2nd

US PGA 8th

US Open T5

Open 3rd

BMW T2

Italy 4th

Dunhill Links T4

Tour Chship 4

incredible run of form... From OWGR 2022: 22 events, 3 wins, 2 seconds, 2 thirds, 8 4th-10th finishes - 1 missed cut. So 15 top 10's from 22 events...

• Advertisement

He'd trade all those top 10s for a Major

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭boardise

Agreed -stirring times for our headline Irish golfers -Leona and the guys are doing the country proud against white hot international competition. Most of them are getting into their midthirties though -there doesn't seem to be much coming up behind for the next decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

I think the Liv tour has been the best thing for Mcilroy in years, not because good players left, i still think he's better than them on his best day, but i think it motivated him, he picked a side and stuck his head down, went back full time with his old coach and has come back to the Mcilroy of old. Swashbuckling but focused. I say all this as someone who isn't a fan of the man, but i'm a fan of the golfer he is the world number one at the moment with Rahm fighting him. Roll on the masters an hopefully a european winner

I’m surprised to see that Rory has decided to skip this week’s Sentry Tournament of Champions.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

True. But it’s one of the “enhanced” events with a prize fund of $15m and you are only allowed to skip one of these events this season, so he’s pretty much painted himself into a corner.

But who am I to second guess his choices?

I know big money and big ranking points but he usually takes a break around Christmas so probably feels he's not ready.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭coillcam

Without being overly cynical should Rory or any of the top players "need" to miss compulsory or sponsored events they'll be signed off with injury/fatigue by their doctor in a heartbeat. Even so, looking at the calendar you can see that the remaining enhanced events either bookend a major or another flagship PGA event (1 exception: The Open but he probably plays the preceding genesis Scotland for dual tour points). If he's going to miss one enhanced event, it's going to be the first one as there's no run-in to a major or big event. He's playing at least one of the UAE/DP Tour events this month, after that he might not appear on the PGA Tour until Phoenix.

He'll still play 22-25 events overall. Most established players play 25 or less and mind themselves. Only younger pros or those trying to break a rankings barrier are playing 26+ events a year. It's a long time to be on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭Trampas

He’s just playing Dubai

You can be sure he’ll get a sick note for ones and it’ll be accepted without question

• Advertisement

Sick notes are not accepted without question, he tried the toothache one and it was put back at him when he was (apparently) asked for Dr's coverage...

PGA also "worked" with DJ on his health "issues"

Sponsors rule the PGA and they don't accept this sort of stuff after putting big money in to see big names

Advertisement