Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Comparing the GFA/Troubles to anything in normal life is just crass and naieve.

Same way you'd stay away from slavery or holocaust comparisons. Especially as a public figure.

He tends to court controversy. Either through stupidity or deliberately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

He’s not naive. He’s a motor-mouth who says stupid things.

These guys only care about themselves and money.

That’s all this is. A money game.

Me. Me. Me. More. More. More.

Can’t win anymore Majors of course.
    All that talent.
    10 years now since Valhalla.
    An empty head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

Personal accusations like saying if I don't see why people are commenting it says something about me? Or your "what is it with posters" post, which is essentially trying to reduce other's opinions that are opposing yours to being "fanboys" - which you do often on here.

Given there has been no media outrage over his comments, not even outrage on Twitter, it's probably fair to stay most thought nothing of the comments. So I don't think it says something about me that I see no issue with them. The analogy didn't put them in the same stratosphere, but you're entitled to interpret it however you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Do we really need a media outrage to have an opinion? Personally I don’t think so, like others, I don’t need the media to form my opinion.

Perhaps a truce might benefit the thread, posters should be allowed to comment, even if it is negative without personal attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

We don't need a media outrage to have an opinion and I never said we do, I was referring to you commenting that my opinion on the topic says something about me. It must say something about a lot of people in that case.

If you agree to stop the personal attacks, I'm happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭bren2001

"I sort of liken it to"….They were the words he uses. He didn't equate the LIV-PGA battle to the issues in Northern Ireland. He made a comparison about how two sides in any conflict/negotiation typically leave the table without feeling like they got everything they wanted. He referenced the biggest example of that from Ireland. There's nothing wrong about that. There's zero misstep in that.

You don't like him and like to talk negatively about him at every opportunity. Even when he wins golf tournaments. You're blinded by your own bias.

And there is the peace, posters are free to express an opinion without personal attack or accusations of animus or excessive fandom. I’m happy to sign up to that.

liken to = equating .

Well that didn’t last long, I don’t like or dislike him, he is a high profile sportsman, so what he does stimulates discussion, positivity isn’t a requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭bren2001

yeah, you're missing the massive words before it, "sort of" liken it to. You're presenting it as if he deemed them equivalent, which he clearly did not. Are you suggesting he said they're equivalent?

You do have a strong dislike of him. That much is clear. Unfortunately, you dont set the rules of conduct here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I'll admit I dislike Mcilroy. For as much as I can dislike somebody I've never met.

But such is celebrity in general. We cast a judgement.

But I dislike him for utterances such as this. So where does that leave me? 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

2 solid rounds but still 5 shots back. Trending nicely ahead of next week.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭big_drive

Great golf tonight from Rory, the driving was unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭rooney30

I met once during a private golf event, had some brief conversation with him, found him to be a gentlemen . I closely observed him over the course of the event and how he interacted with ordinary workers , have to see he genuinely came across as a normal and humble guy . No airs and graces whatsoever . My tuppence worth , for what it’s worth

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Best I've seen Rory play in a year plus

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭kyleman

3 and a half of the best rounds of golf in years for Rory. Hopefully he can finish the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭coillcam

Clinical over the last few holes while Xander begins to wither away. Hopefully he closes it out handy from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

The Rory haters not happy tonight. Magnificent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Schauffele is having a terrible time with the putter. Unbelievable how bad he's putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,208 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Not getting birdie from about 20ft fo eagle takes some doing, were awful putts. Rory playing lovely stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭kyleman

6 under for last 7 holes. Magnificent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

No surprise, a total bottler, Mcilroy passed him easily. Schuffle is a clone of Patrick Cantlay, the 2 of them will have a decent career, but never win. Mcilroy won the doubles thing with Lowry more or less on his own. Lowry is a clown too. All that screaming and shouting after they won, 2 year exemption for doing virtually nothing. He's turning into Ian Poulter

Everything is off, but the lines he's putting bear no relationship to the actual line to the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭4Ad

When it's your day it's your day !!

Well done Rory !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭big_drive

This is outrageous golf from Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 16,378 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

some run the last 8 holes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭coillcam

Ridiculous golf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Best player in the world on this form.

When he's like this it's such a good watch. If he could do this every week…

• Registered Users Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Roll on next week

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,890 ✭✭✭blackcard

Brilliant from Rory. Course suits him in that it is long but the rough isn't penal. His driving yesterday was exceptional. Still some poor shots with wedges but he is hitting straighter shots and isn't dropping shots. Exceptional performance

Advertisement