Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

• Registered Users Posts: 37,867 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Obviously you don't know anything. He's won four majors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

And 10 years since the last one.

Lets be honest his career in the past decade has been somewhat disappointing considering how brilliantly he started.

I don't think anyone (least of all Rory himself) though he'd still be stuck on 4 majors in 2024.t a minimum I expect he thought he'd be past Nick Faldo record of major wins for a european golfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Not one person would believe he'd still be on 4 if you told them back in 2024.

He has underachieved major wise but still won lots of other tournaments and even no.1 for a sustained period as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

all comments about his marriage deleted? I'd think it's pretty newsworthy, even if it is a personal matter. It's not going to get as toxic as discussions about his nationality!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

If anything it's the opposite this time. With the divorce most are saying he is going to win now!

After Oakmont in 2016 I was convinced he wouldn't win another major for a long, long time.

I'm still convinced he wont* win The Masters. He must win another Major first*.

Only been in contention 2 times on the back9 out of his last 35 Majors.

LACC '23 & St. Andrews '22.

The 3 round SA defections have been a game changer.

But his game right now is better than at any time in his career.

Primarily his wedge game. Driver is back to its best. And he's holing putts.

Soft conditions suit his high ball flight OTT and his wedges. He loves this course.

Logically speaking if he beats Scheffler he should win this. I think he could win it wire-2-wire!!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GolfPar

I think in a head to head he has Scheffler if it goes that way. Interesting that Scottie will have a different caddy on Saturday as his caddy has a graduation to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Scottie is obviously great and all and without doubt the most consistent golfer playing the game currently, but to suggest all McIlroy has to do is beat him is very dismissive of all the other great players who if they turn up with their best stuff will be very tough to beat also and a lot of them are LIV guys.

Bryson, Cam, Rahm, Brooks, Niemann etc are all capable of beating Scottie themselves this week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

None were deleted, they are on the previous page, hopefully we all just respect his personal life and concentrate on his golf as this is a Golf Forum not a gossip site

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newport2

That could turn out to be a very expensive graduation

The US folks lap up things like that

All of those golfers only play 3 round golf. The golf they are playing is nowhere near as competitive as the wins Scheffler and McIlroy have racked up.

They are the rightful favourites.

Koepka was leading the Masters in 2023 by 2 after 3 rounds. Lost to Rahm by 4 shots.

Bryson was joint leader at this years Masters with Scheffler after 2 rounds and lost to him by 9 shots.

DJ was only within 5 at the US Open in 2023 after 3 rounds. Finished 7 shots behind Clark.

Stenson was the closest finisher at the British Open 2023. Finished 10 shots behind Harman.

Koepka winning the PGA last year was the exception to the rule.

However, If he or any of those other golfers are going to win a Major it will be the PGA because The Masters is only 4 weeks previous

Koepka was leading the Masters prior to that win.

Bryson is the only one I think who will contend this wk.

Big ask for them to be competitive at Majors for all 4 rounds. Actually I think the 4 week break will count against Scheffler this week.

It's McIlroy's to lose!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Xander10

The Indo is such a rag. Leading with this story and trying to pry into a deeply personal matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Pretty much every newspaper is carrying the story, that is what news media does.

Honestly, I'd put a bet on for Rors to miss the cut before winning, that bet would have been successful too many times over the years…he did great last week but this is a deep field

• Registered Users Posts: 17 animajic

I think there's a good chance Rory will be towards the top of the leaderboard given his recent form, but it's not easy to go 3 In a row and with his struggles to get over the line in Majors it's hard for me to see him winning. But I'll be happy to be proved wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

I understand where you are coming from but in all fairness last weeks field was pretty deep (not in total number of players granted) as well, it was still a signature event - yes add in LIV, Scottie & Ludvig. But on OWGR ratings it had a field rating of 290.5 with the winner getting 60.8 ranking points only 6 tournaments this year have given more ranking points (2 being the Masters & the Players).

A quick look at OWGR (yes LIV are not ranked properly) but 15 of the top 20 & 42 of the top 50 were in the the tournament.

I guess it is a long way for me to say that I don't think he'll miss the cut this week.

Neither do I, would be delighted with him getting back on the Major haul………but…….

• Advertisement

I had that hunch before The Open 2019 as well but never put money on it. I did for this PGA. Not many bookies offer direct odds but betfair exchange, you can lay the bet on him making the cut. Odds are 1.16 now so is that ~8/1 that he'll miss the cut? My maths are mad off, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Russman

I think it'll depend on his state of mind. If he's still as he was last week and able to play "free", he could well contend. If the enormity of what's going on in his personal life starts to hit him, he could shoot anything and miss the cut. I'd be hopeful that being on the course is actually his "getting away from it" and he lets his ability just shine. Not a bad draw for him with DJ and Rose either, think he has a good relationship with both over a long time.

Then again, there's a reason going three in a row is so rarely done - these guys are all bloody good and the PGA has historically always been the strognest field, even if its the 4th of the 4 Majors.

All that said, I hope think he wins going away from the field. Bet that'll come back to bit me in the a$$ 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Sweet wedge shot on the first anyway.

And started walking thinking he'd missed the putt only to see it drop in the side, omens continue to look good!

I had the same hunch in 2019….was standing on the 1stTee!

I have a different hunch this week. 1st Round leader.

71 (-1) 2015 Masters (-9, Never in contention 4th) Spieth -18

72 [+2] 2015 US OEPN Chambers Bay (E, Back door T9) Spieth -5

71 (-1) 2015 PGA Whistling Straights (-5, 17th) Day -20

70 (-2) 2016 Masters (+1, T10) Willet -5

77 [+7] 2016 US OEPN Oakmont (was a shadow of his former ultra confident self) DJ -4, MC

69 (-2) 2016 Brit Open (-4, Back door T5) Stenson -20

74 [+4] 2016 PGA Baltusrol, Walker -16, MC

72 [e] 2017 Masters (-3, Back door T7) Garcia -9

78 [+6] 2017 US OEPN Erin Hills, Koepka -16, MC

71 [+1] 2017 Brit Open (-5, Back door T4) Spieth -12

‘You’re Rory McIlroy, what the **** are you doing?’ I said, ‘Yeah’. At that point I mumbled and said, ‘Whatever.’

(Fires JP!!!)

72 [+1] 2017 PGA Quail Hollow (+1, T22 mentality and game was a shadow of itself) Thomas -8

69 (-3) 2018 Masters (-9, Crumbled in the final round T5) Reed -15

80 [+10] 2018 US OEPN Shinnecock Hills, Koepka +1, MC

69 (-2) 2018 Brit Open (-6, Never truly in contention until an Eagle on 14th. 2nd) Molinari -8

70 [e] 2018 PGA Bellerive (-2, T50) Koepka -16

73 [+1] 2019 Masters (-5, T21) Tiger -13

72 [+2] 2019 PGA Bethpage (+1, Back door T8) Koepka -8

68 (-3) 2019 US OEPN Pebble Beach (-5, T9) Woodland -13

79 [+8] 2019 Brit Open, Lowry -15, MC

70 [e] 2020 PGA Harding Park (-2, T33) Morikawa -13

67 (-3) 2020 US OEPN Winged Foot (+6, T8) DeChambeau -6

75 [+3] 2020 Masters (-11, T5) DJ -20

76 (+4) 2021 Masters, Matsuyama -10, MC

72 [e] 2021 PGA Kiawah Isl (+5, T49) Mickelson -6

69 (-2) 2021 US OEPN Torrey Pines (-1, T7) Rahm -6

70 [e] - 2021 Brit Open (E, T46) Morikawa -15

73[+1] 2022 Masters (-7, Never in contention. 2nd) Scheffler -10

65 (-5) 2022 Southern Hills (-2, Never in contention. 8th) Thomas -5

67 (-3) 2022 US OEPN Brookline (-2, T5) Fitzpatrick -6

66 (-6) 2022 Brit Open (-18, 3rd) Smith -20

72 [e] 2023 Masters, Rahm -12, MC

71 [+1] 2023 PGA Oak Hill (-2, T7) Koepka -9

65 (-5) 2023 US OEPN LACC (-9, 2nd) Clark -10

71 [e] 2023 Brit Open (-6, Back door T6) Harman -13

71 (-1) 2024 Masters (+4, T22) Scheffler -11

66 (-5) 2014 PGA Valhalla -16 WIN

65 (-6) 2024 PGA Valhalla -15 WIN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Extremely early but opening few holes are extremely encouraging. Already -2 and joint leader and putter looks 🔥

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭big_drive

Super opening round

• Registered Users Posts: 37,867 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

None of them are capable of beating Scottie if he's at 90%, he's way ahead of everybody else.

Scottie is no.1 off the tee, T2G, approach, proximity to pin and putting average. He's not no.1 in sg around the green, that's his weakness, he's only no.5 in that category.

There's never been anybody with those stats.

Rory and everybody else need him to be well below his best

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭bren2001

If Scottie reverts to his usual putting, he's very beatable. That's all it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Very nice opening round. If he can just improve off the tee he should be able to keep up with Xander & Scottie

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
Advertisement