Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

That wasn't what it was about at all. It's just a very important effect of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

But that was the context in which he used it, he seemed to be referring to unifying two sides in conflict.
    For someone who sidesteps the issue of nationality (most recently with the flag last week after winning with Lowry) because of the sensitivity of the subject, it was an odd reference to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

It was a stupid reference to make. He's a total gobshite.

Not surprised Tiger, Spieth and all wanted nothing to do with him 'deciding to return'.

He'll still get his feet under the table to help his new Saudi friend Yasir al-Rumayyan (PIF). Which of course he previously had issues with. But no, not anymore.

Jimmy Dunne, Monahan and McIlroy will get their slice of the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭OEP

People with get themselves in a tizzy over anything these days

How is it a stupid reference to make? Do explain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You had unionist and nationalist subversive groups killing innocent people, army, police and each other. The GFA was about stopping all the killing and seeking a peaceful way forward.

How can you compare that to an upstart golf organisation owned by despicable people who most people have no interest in? Where is the comparison?

The large majority of PGA fans want these cretins to have nothing to do with the brand.

The only thing that's going on here is certain people wanting the big money without walking away from the PGA tour and ruining their brand.

You have read his comments? You do understand what the analogy he was using was about compromise.

I grew up through the this before and after. It wasn't just about stopping the violence, it was very much about protecting sovereignty and equal rights. People are just looking to be offended.

No, it seems you don't understand that comparing the two is very upsetting for a lot of people who lost friends and family members during the troubles. As one of NI's favourite sons it was a horrible comparison.

I lost direct family and friends. I'm not upset.

Well that makes you unique. I spoke with a friend this morning who is from Antrim and he was disgusted by it and said his brother was too.

I don't follow media very closely, I didn't even know about it until he brought it up.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭bren2001

That reflects more on your friend than Rory. Anyone who gets upset by a golfer making a comparison like that needs to take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror. It was a comparison, there's nothing wrong with using the GFA as an example for something.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,867 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Just the usual people waiting for something to be offended by, absolute scourge.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

It’s really not anyone else’s fault if you guys don’t understand why his comment is newsworthy, and being commented on.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭Russman

I think his stupid decision to try hit that fairway wood out of the bunker on 15th last night is more newsworthy tbh 😀

Apparently this is what he said:

"I sort of liken it to like when Northern Ireland went through the peace process and the Good Friday Agreement, neither side was happy. Catholics weren't happy, Protestants weren't happy, but it brought peace and then you just sort of learn to live with whatever has been negotiated, right?

"That was in 1998 and 20, 25, 30 years ahead, my generation doesn't know any different. It's just this is what it's always been like and we've never known anything but peace.

"It's my little way of trying to think about it and trying to make both sides see that there could be a compromise here.

"Yeah, it's probably not going to feel great for either side, but if it's a place where the game of golf starts to thrive again and we can all get back together, then I think that's ultimately a really good thing."

When read in its entirety I can't really see how anyone is getting their knickers in a twist over it tbh, but each to their own. People will read into it what suits their bias one way or the other.

Using the GFA as analogy for two sides coming together to make a compromise is hardly an outlandish thing to do ffs. He wasn't saying the two are similar. I wouldn't care if an English person used it, let alone from someone who lived through the GFA in NI. The only offended people I've seen are on here and Twitter, so that so says as much.

So you took a straw poll of an imaginary friend from Antrim and some anonymous person on boards golf forum (me), and concluding that my opinion is unique or in the minority? Not only this, you've admitted you opinion is 2nd hand (from your imaginary friend) and not based upon actually reading the interview in context.

Seriously cop the fuk on. Your bias is clearly driving this faux outrage 😀

Not only that, anyone using this and the memory of the people who lost their lives or affected as an excuse for faux outrage are way worse that what they believe McIlroy too be guilty off.

It says more if you can’t see why people are commenting on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭bren2001

It says more about your obsession with criticising McIlroy. There is sfa wrong with making a comparison between golf and the GFA. Nowhere has he said they're equivalent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I think Rory could have made his simplistic point by stating negotiations by definition means both sides walk away feeling half satisfied.

Simple reference to the Oxford definition of the word NEGOTIATION would have sufficed.

As usual it just shows how naive Rory is. It's obvious some people could see the analogy as trivialising the troubles.

Rory is either too naive to realise that or he doesn't care. Not great options either way 😁

Haven't seen many (any?) comments on it in the news, besides just quoting what he said - no analysis of it. Just here really, by the usual suspects. Says a lot about the rest of us alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 soverybored1878

That's certainly how I feel about it.

Using what was (and still is, in some cases) an incredibly traumatic period of Irish (and British) history where thousands were murdered or killed to make a point about two rival golf tours negotiating about money etc. just leaves a bitter taste.

Whatever national identity he has for himself, someone from the island of Ireland should know better than to trivialise The Troubles in this way, especially with the profile he has.

He didn't trivialise it though or use people being killed in his analogy to make a point. As you point out it's how you feel or ultimately your interpretation.

By calling it "the troubles" you're actually trivialising everything that went on and from a perspective more offensive. It's not like everything was fine and dandy before, but that how the British (and Irish) governments would let you believe as the truth is way more messy.

I am laughing at your attempts to insult me.

I don't believe you are from Northern Ireland.

Laugh away but the simple fact is your entire interpretation and basis for your opinions (on what is offensive) is from talking to one person you know and not even reading the full interview for context. You've picked a few soundbites and used your limited and simplistic knowledge of a more nuanced period of history to support your bias.

It's irrelevant whether you believe where I from or not. Your statement of fact that its upsetting to lots of people is based of zero evidence.

What is it with posters on this thread?

It’s as if they think other posters are commenting on their mothers. McIlroy is a sportsman, nothing more to most of us. When he does/performs/says silly things, they are comment worthy because of his profile. It’s nothing more than opinion, yet some take it as an indication of some personal animus. It’s really weird, and a little creepy.

I didn't realise we couldn't disagree and provide counter arguments to your opinion, what is it with some posters eh.

• Advertisement

I have no issue with you having a different opinion, boards is a discussion forum, we are not required to have a singular opinion. It’s when things get personal or accusations are made about disliking the subject of the thread that things get muddy. You have your opinion, I respect that, as long as you respect mine. My opinion is that equating a sports washing petrostate negotiating with rich golfers is not in the same stratosphere as the Good Friday agreement and it was silly of him, given his aversion to discussing the political situation in the North/nationality, to connect the two. It’s nothing more than that.

I’m not in a tizzy about it, offended, or trying to be a scourge, to me he is just a sportsman and a high profile subject of this thread, on which I have an opinion.

Advertisement