Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

It amazes me how people are so quick to believe fake news these days… Even on here..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I wouldn’t get all uppidity about it, there will be a lot more rumours about players in the months/years ahead, some may be unbelievable, and then turn out to be true. I doubt many expected John Rahm to jump so soon after the Masters, but the sums made it understandable. It’s the money mentioned in relation to McIlroy and the way he was screwed over by Jay Monaghan that at least gave pause for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Considering Mcilroy flip flops like a wet fish on most of his public utterances. Coupled with how much of a tit he looked once the proposed merger was announced.

It's not surprising the general public bought into the story. Only a fool would believe Mcilroys morals are the driving factor in his stance. Only thing he's interested in is being the main character.

Hes already the most wealthy player bar woods. He doesn't needs LIV money the way the rest of the field do.

AH I was mainly talking about the World today.. How so many rumours catch fire… Social media probably to blame.. but there is so much fake news these days hard to believe what is true or not..

Considering what has happened over the last 6 months, the negotiations between LIV/PGA, Mcilroys tone on LIV changing, murmurings of LIV events changing to 72 holes with a cut which may make them eligible for ranking points, and the money mentioned, after the initial shock, no one really would be that surprised that McIlroy changed his stance, this wouldn’t be the first time.

Had it been broken by a more reputable source, I would have believed it, but once I saw City AM, I had doubts straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Point is a nobody account released this information and news websites were reporting it as fact. That's whats worrying but not surprising.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Who reported it as fact?

Any articles I read reported City AM as the source, that was the only fact mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Any news site or paper should be verifying any news before publishing it. Crazy that they're allowed publish rumours and fake news. Lot of people are gullible and believe everything they see and read.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

I know - but lets be fair that's incredibly lazy journalism - For the Independent to put up an article without actually doing any journalism work themselves is just a sad indictment of the current state of the media - get a story up online as quickly as possible to get as many clicks as possible; then a few hours later write a piece about fake news, if there is a story do the research & break the story… Not break the story & then do the research.

• Advertisement

C’mon @Mantis Toboggan, the papers are full of articles related to rumours, it is not just confined to golf. Dont be so prissy, you are an adult and have to take responsibility for what you choose to believe.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's just AI pulling articles to populate web pages for clickbait that get rinsed and repeated

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Rumour mills/fake news etc is not new. It's been around since humans could speak.

Mediums/frequency are the only things changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Same was said of Speith and Thomas. It's hard to stay at the top forever. Rory has been doing it for 17 years. I don't there is anyone out there with that type of longevity who can compete and win the likes of FedEx or almost the US last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,528 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I get my news from Reuters. There has been nothing about Rory on there.

Never heard of that City crowd that broke it. I won't ever be looking to read anything there now. I'll put them on the list with the New York Post and the English rags in the avoid at all costs category.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭big_drive

I've a feeling a lot on here would love if Rory went to LIV, it would be another thing to complain about as regards him

I like the look.of Rory this week. I think he'll contend strongly.

lessons could be paying off 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Very impressive from Seamus as well, just a pity about a bad back 9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Am i alone in thinking butch has the kiss of death when working with established pros.. rory all over the shop..look at ricky fowler.. I think having tiger woods with him was the easiest job ever and his rep is built on 'coaching' the best ever in his prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

So hard to know what the causes and effects are when so much can change with a golfer and their game, even when they don't seem to be making substantial changes.

For example, Rory was dominating World golf for a period when he was with Horizon and under the tutelage of Bannon. And before be became obsessed with weights and distance. Who knows what would be different now if he hadn't changed any of those things.

Same for Butch. You've got to think lots of Rory issues originate in the head. It could be he needs someone to just get his read right first of all, or alongside some technical tweaks. L

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Coming off the policy board didn't help Rory end his Master's hoodoo, so he's going back on to get the PGA LIV merger over the line.

If he doesn't get the career grand slam bringing the game back together could be his more lasting legacy, it's still a complete **** show, but I definitely believe Rory wants what's best for the game, not just himself.

That’s an interesting perspective, but I’m not sure people would see his support for getting the merger over the line as being remotely consistent with his prior statements about LIV.

Maybe it would cement his legacy as a flip flopper for some.

I have to say, unless he is rejoining to oppose any merger, I am shocked he is going back to the PGA board.

He changes his mind, it's one of the things I most like about him, it's a sign of intelligence and openness.

He's been pretty consistent on wanting the top players playing together. By his own account he is partially responsible for the Tour first meeting with Yasir. I doubt he'll be fighting to keep LIV as is in the merger discussions, but he'll be looking for a way for everyone to co-exist and bring the game back together imo.

It's pretty unpalatable to me that the majors will begin to weaken if something isn't done soon enough. There's obviously a lot of other unpalatable stuff but we're not particularly allowed to discuss that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭bren2001

I dont understand the logic of "he previously made comments against LIV but now supports the merger, what a flip flopper". He clearly doesn't like LIV or the idea of LIV but accepts that there is going to be PIF money involved. If thats through the PGA Tour, then at least they have some control over it. It seems like a balanced opinion:

“Whether you like it or not, the PIF were going to keep spending the money in golf. At least the PGA Tour now controls how that money is spent,”

I have an almost identical opinion. I don't like LIV. I don't think that type of money should be involved in any form of sports. However, it is and if the choice is to have LIV in its current form dividing the sport or have the money invested through the PGA Tour, I'd prefer it through the PGA Tour. PIF will continue to spend money and the longer the divide exists, the worse the outcome will be for the fans. The PGA Tour doesn't have a bottomless pit like LIV and they will eventually lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Rory played well coming down the stretch tonight. Hopefully he will gain some confidence out of that ahead of the PGA

It's great for both of them, a real positive. I'd expect to see both play well after it.

Love watching Rory and you just see how he's different gravy to the regular tour guys in a tournament like that.

Hopefully a springboard to that elusive fifth Major

• Advertisement

It’s foursomes. Even McIlroy himself said it was all about having fun “Obviously, it feels like winning at the end is just a bonus”

Get a grip.

Advertisement