Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Anyone check in on @Dav010 👀?

Long, lonely evening to be crying and weeping watching rory soar like an eagle in Quail Hollow while he is bumbling round his sitting room like a turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,433 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

no course record for rory today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,823 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Well done Rory. Great win.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,786 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Crazy to think it's his 3rd win of the year despite it feeling like he hasn't fully got going. Has every chance next week.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 16 animajic

Looks like that win with Shane has given Rory a big old confidence boost. Hopefully he continues the run next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭blackcard

Rory has always been a streaky player. Just need it to last another week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

has Rory won at pinehurst? When was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭bobster453

Really impressive performance.

Hoping he keeps it going now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Dont think so, its not a course that suits him

Is only played on rotation, so chances to win are minimal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

cheers. Thought it might be home to a normal tournament during the year the way they were going on about all the stars aligning for him

• Advertisement

Well they will if Scotty doesn't play

But he is a flat track bully, like today, no one can keep up with him

But perhaps too aggressive for the likes of pinehurst

• Registered Users Posts: 37,820 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Scottie is definitely playing now and with the extra motivation of winning for his new baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Thanks for thinking of me, away for the weekend.

That is a fantastic win, I am delighted for him, and for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

The US Open is at Pinehurst, next week is the USPGA at Valhalla, which is the last major Rory won 2014 at Valhalla, he also won the WGC the week before that, hence the stars aligning comment.

Means the expectation will ramp up again next week, but hopefully he has the confidence this time to match expectations.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Mod note: let’s leave the personal comments out. Everyone can have an opinion. Attack the post not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Some driver of a golf ball…..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,820 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm starting to think the the partnership with Shave really helped Rory, the foursomes in particular. You don't want to leave your partner in trouble so you make safer shot selections.

Outside of that wood out of the bunker he made good decisions all weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭allybhoy

He said in his interview with CBS straight afterwards that he really gained confidence from that win, which is strange but long may it continue, be great to see him competing up the top on sunday its been far too long.

i dunno, he seemed pretty aggressive all weekend with his shots, driver everywhere he could

his putting was on point, his bunker shots unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

https://x.com/JustinRayGolf/status/1790024671158468695

He caught a couple "fat" out of the bunker.

But the Putter, the Driver, the Irons and the wedges all looked on point! Such a dominant display.

Scheffler distracted with baby,

Rahm and Koepka T45th at Masters, Cam Smith, Bryson….all playing 3 round golf.

I know Koepka won the PGA last year after his 3rd round win but it's no where near as competitive.

Cantlay and Schauffele just dont have it.

Homa? Zalatoris? Just nowhere near his level.

Aberg only playing his 2nd Major.

Thomas and Spieth look broken.

Same for Hovland right now.

Surely now is the time he wins that major.

Off the back of a really dominant win. Back on the course where he last won a Major. Everything is in his favour. Surely this is the one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭big_drive

Obviously in a strong position going into a major week. But still nothing is a certainty, Rory could play great this week but all it takes is just one other guy to have the week of his life and it could edge McIlroy out. Would love to see it happen for Rory, I think if he could get one that a few more would follow over next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Russman

Exactly this ^^^

They're mostly all so good at the very top, one guy holing a few putts on Sunday or a lip out from someone else, the margins are very fine. Still, I do think a confident Rory is very dangerous, hopefully he keeps that bounce in his step and plays "free" this week. I actually who he's drawn to play with could have a tiny bearing on things. Last thing he needs is to be with Spieth and Tiger on Thursday !

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭poppers

With the caliber of players on tour the chances of winning 3 weeks in a row are slim

• Registered Users Posts: 17,786 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Very hard to win back to back, nevermind in 3 events in a row. Hopefully he contends but I think top 10 is realistic with an outside chance of a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

LIV makes it a lot easier to win multiple weeks in a row, just look at Scottie and now Rory.

Regular PGA Tour events have hardly ever been easier to win especially with these limited fields with quite a few limited players. Look at the separation involved, Rory winning by 5 but could've been 7 and almost double digits ahead of third.

Scottie won the AP by 5 also and these are supposedly the signature events but they are actually far weaker than regular PGA Tour events just 3 years ago.

Well he did exactly that 10 years ago at Valhalla!

Scheffler form: Win, Win, 2nd, Win, Win

So if Scheffler won’t win and McIlroy won’t win….then who?

The 3 round golfers are at huge disadvantage. The logic doesn’t stack up that he only has an “outside chance of a win”.

This is a massive opportunity. Esp with SS baby on the way/arrived… He’s clearly the next best player on the PGA tour right now.

As has been pointed out. The strongest field wasn't at Quail Hollow and the victory before that was a team event with not many top players. People are reading too much into it. Myself included. If he plays like he did from the 8th hole yesterday then yes, he'd have a great chance but he's been quite poor so far this season so last week can probably be written off a bit as him playing against a weak field on one of his favourite courses. I think top 10 is realistic and if he's in with a chance going into the last day, that's a bonus.

Well that’s a different argument you are now making!

And Quail Hollow was almost the strongest possible field (excl SS) and the 3 rounders.

His strokes gained figures are so good right now because the driver is on fire and finally his wedges look dialled in. And The Putter.

Back on one of his favourite courses…there’s a reason he’s a favourite to win this week.

If SS doesn’t win he will consider it a failure if he doesn’t win himself.

• Advertisement

No, the same argument. It was a weak field without some of the best players in the world as you pointed out. He had one good week after some very poor form. As I said, it can be explained away as him loving the course. He hasn't won a major in 10 years. No way should he be favourite. A major with all the best players is a completely different event. Of course he's aiming to win but as spectators, if he's in contention that's the best we can hope for.

Advertisement