Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s the best diet for weight loss ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I have found keto good for me - I don't say it's the o ly way to do it. And I'd think there are loads of factors in why Americans are so overweight. I'd be interested to see how their diet breaks down overall l, not just carbs. I wonder where things like unprocessed veg are in the equation. And the ratio of sugary things and refined carbs.

I don't eat porridge or chickpeas at the moment, but I don't think they have the same impact as refined carbs and sugary drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,569 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

markmoto wrote: »
    Oh yes. Have you read any religious books and what they say about fasting?

Obviously the Bible is the first port of call for any scientific data.

bladespin wrote: »
    If you've ever been there then it's easy to understand, bad food is cheap, pretty much every food court has an 'all you can eat', it's painful to watch the mobility carts going from one to the other all day!
    In many fast food outlets it's often actually cheaper to go for the 'large' portion than regular (already as big as a large here), there's competition in the food industry to provide the 'best value' deal, yes they eat a lot of carby food but that's why.

Yep. But I was asking markmoto for an explanation to the part of the graph where carb intake dropped but obesity continued to grow. Because what could the issue possibly be if carb intake was reduced?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Yep. But I was asking markmoto for an explanation to the part of the graph where carb intake dropped but obesity continued to grow. Because what could the issue possibly be if carb intake was reduced?

What is you thought on obesity ?
    Let me guess calories control ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,134 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Carbs%2Bvs.%2Bobesity.jpg

That doesn’t remotely seem related to obesity in Ireland in 1800s. Which was the question you were asked. I think we all know the reason for dodging it.

And that graph doesn’t back up your point at all. If anything it shows the opposite. Obesity levels rising despite carb intake falling.
    I’d be interested to see if the source of that data also compares obesity/fat and obesity/energy.

• Advertisement

It's a multifactorial problem.

Not one caused by carb intake, as your graph showed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Patsy167

National Weight Control Registry

The National Weight Control Registry is a research study that includes people (18 years or older) who have lost at least 13.6 kg (30 lbs) of weight and kept it off for at least one year. There are currently over 10,000 members enrolled in the study, making it perhaps the largest study of weight loss ever conducted. Members complete annual questionnaires about their current weight, diet and exercise habits, and behavioral strategies for weight loss maintenance.

The research has shown that members lost weight by a wide variety of methods. However, 98% of people modified their food intake and 94% of participants increased their exercise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Weight_Control_Registry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Patsy167 wrote: »
    National Weight Control Registry

The research has shown that members lost weight by a wide variety of methods. However, 98% of people modified their food intake and 94% of participants increased their exercise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Weight_Control_Registry

Seems kind of obvious, I reckon.

Which brings us all back to the question of "what is a calorie" and how it's measure in a Laboratory compares to how energy from food translates in a body"?

As above, 98 % modify food intake and 94% increase exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Lucy8080 wrote: »

Which brings us all back to the question of "what is a calorie" .

No, you are the only one bringing us back there!!!

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    No, you are the only one bringing us back there!!!

The scientific answer to the question " what is a calorie?" is what brings us back!

Blame scientific enquiry ,not me.

• Advertisement

If your point is that the determination of the calorie content of food is different to how its processed by the body and so the CICO model is redundant then it's a fallacious argument.

It is impossible to be exact on calories in or calories out.

But it's linked with observation. If you're monitoring intake and weight and add in context of activity, you know if you need to adjust.

Food quantity and food quality are also not independent of each other.

Improve food quality, manage food quantity and you'll do alright, regardless of whether or not what you have recorded 100 cals of food is exactly 100 cals of food

If your point is that the determination of the calorie content of food is different to how its processed by the body and so the CICO model is redundant then it's a fallacious argument.

But it's linked with observation. If you're monitoring intake and weight and add in context of activity, you know if you need to adjust.

Improve food quality, manage food quantity and you'll do alright, regardless of whether or not what you have recorded 100 cals of food is exactly 100 cals of food

You say "it is impossible to be exact on calories in/out"! Then you say "it is linked with observation!"

You also said " manage food quantity and you'll do alright..."

"Calorie" ,Eh? Hypnotic word!

You say "it is impossible to be exact on calories in/out"! Then you say "it is linked with observation!"

There's only one person here obsessed with the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭bladespin

Seems kind of obvious, I reckon.

Which brings us all back to the question of "what is a calorie" and how it's measure in a Laboratory compares to how energy from food translates in a body"?

As above, 98 % modify food intake and 94% increase exercise.

Brings us back to eat less and do more really.

I'm aware what I said.

What bit confuses you exactly and why?

What about people with craving? They can only last few days on your advice and once willpower run out of fuel they are rolling backward.

What about people with craving? They can only last few days on your advice and once willpower run out of fuel they are rolling backward.

What advice is this then?

Do you actually read what other people say?

What advice is this then?

Well I asked you, do you have any solution for those who have carbs cravings due to serotonin/dopamine withdrawal?
    In many cases stronger than opioid drugs.

Well I asked you, do you have any solution for those who have carbs cravings due to serotonin/dopamine withdrawal?

You haven't answered - what advice did I give in the response you quoted?

Also, last time you brought up the sugar addiction thing, what you included to support that was some website commentary and sugar tax. No studies. So if you're going to make claims about "carb cravings die to serotonin/dopamine withdrawal" (noting you have extended it out to all carbs and not just sugar now), you should have something to support that. Studies. Not websites or blogs or sugar tax. Studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭bladespin

Suck it up OR feed the craving but don’t over feed it, moderation and self control are the keys to any sustained weight loss.

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    Suck it up OR feed the craving but don’t over feed it, moderation and self control are the keys to any sustained weight loss.

Many obese & overweight can't moderate carbs.
    Would you advice alcoholic to drink in moderation?
    Simply doesn't work.

Many obese & overweight can't moderate carbs.
    Would you advice alcoholic to drink in moderation?
    Simply doesn't work.

So you're saying if someone is on a diet with a lot of carbs and they switch to keto, they never have cravings for carbs and definitely won't fall off the wagon in a matter of days?

But if they were to reduce their carb intake or just simply make better choices as regards food quality and quantity, they definitely have carb cravings and off the wagon in a matter of days?

Because that seems at odds with when you said low carb isn't for everyone.

So you're saying if someone is on a diet with a lot of carbs and they switch to keto, they never have cravings for carbs and definitely won't fall off the wagon in a matter of days?

But if they were to reduce their carb intake or just simply make better choices as regards food quality and quantity, they definitely have carb cravings and off the wagon in a matter of days?

Because that seems at odds with when you said low carb isn't for everyone.

I asked you question in previous post, do you have any solution for those with carbs cravings due to serotonin/dopamine withdrawal?
    Anything valuable to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

In that case you don't go cold turkey on carbs. You reduce your intake of starchy carbs, then reduce again after a period of time (eg 2-3-4 weeks) as per how you feel, and repeat till your off them. It's a long game to change your diet from an anything goes one to a sensible one.

That's how I do it when I let my weight get out control. I've currenly got my starchy carbs down to as low as possible i.e none on a regular basis.

I have a bit of a tortilla wrap now and again and not because I crave them just when I've very little food in stock. I keep soda bread in the freezer for emergency. With the stage I'm at if I ate anything more than 2 slices of soda bread I'd feel physically ill. I mention this because that's how much you can change.

I asked you question in previous post, do you have any solution for those with carbs cravings due to serotonin/dopamine withdrawal?
    Anything valuable to say?

Have you read any of my posts? At all?

Because my thoughts are very clear.

You seem to think there is only one way. I have said there are lots of ways but what works for one person may not work for another.

You haven't answered any of my questions. At all.

So, as I asked above, does someone go from a high carb diet to keto and have zero cravings?

But well done on the valuable contributions to date. Science doesn't really rate them because of what you have done to scientific papers but I appreciate you *hugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Why do you keep dodging his question. You posted that graphic as back up to your own argument yet it seems to argue against it . Back up your reasoning for posting it or admit you were either wrong or that your a troll

yea they will be back on the porridge binges in no time

Dont cut carbs in the first place but replace the highly processed calorie toxic low nutrient food which is high in both carbs and fat and replace it with nutrient dense single ingredient foods through a healthy balanced combination of all 3 macro nutrients

Have you read any of my posts? At all?

Because my thoughts are very clear.

You seem to think there is only one way. I have said there are lots of ways but what works for one person may not work for another.

You haven't answered any of my questions. At all.

So, as I asked above, does someone go from a high carb diet to keto and have zero cravings?

But well done on the valuable contributions to date. Science doesn't really rate them because of what you have done to scientific papers but I appreciate you *hugs*

If you are overall healthy there is many ways to fix your self.

But I don't see how majority of obese people can control carbs in a same way alcoholic cant control drink portion.

Unless you know something that I don't ... food quality and calories count? Using what willpower, prison cell... :)

• Advertisement

And apparently the brain can still function fine running on ketones. This thread would make you wonder.

Advertisement