Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s the best diet for weight loss ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,320 ✭✭✭Macy0161

markmoto wrote: »
    For you, fit and healthy would be hard to understand. Changing lifestyle for obese people absolutely different game. What works for you and people who got a little overweight wont work for people who grow up being fat.
    Overweight from childhood, always "big boned" (school boy prop forward), peaked at 140kg-ish. Have held at around 70kg for over 3 years, after starting to change my diet in my 30's. I never cut carbs, and indeed fuelled cycling and triathlon workouts and events with maltodextrin/ fructose pure sugar (and continue to do so).

Notwithstanding you or I have no clue of the histories of individuals on here, pretty big assumption that everyone on here has been fit/ active/ healthy weight their entire life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,571 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

For you, fit and healthy would be hard to understand. Changing lifestyle for obese people absolutely different game. What works for you and people who got a little overweight wont work for people who grow up being fat.

So tell me how you make something sustainable in the long term?

That's the main reason 'diets' don't work in the long term. People lose weight in 6/8/10/12 weeks but then revert to their normal and put weight back on again.

For a change in lifestyle to work, you need adherence. For adherence, you need it to be sustainable. Otherwise you're píssing in the wind.

If keto isn't sustainable for an individual in the long term, tell me how you get to continued adherence.

As an aside, how could I be fit and healthy when I eat carbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Overweight from childhood, always "big boned" (school boy prop forward), peaked at 140kg-ish. Have held at around 70kg for over 3 years, after starting to change my diet in my 30's. I never cut carbs, and indeed fuelled cycling and triathlon workouts and events with maltodextrin/ fructose pure sugar (and continue to do so).

Notwithstanding you or I have no clue of the histories of individuals on here, pretty big assumption that everyone on here has been fit/ active/ healthy weight their entire life.

Congrats, really happy for you, unfortunately this approach doesn't work for majority of obese people. Hence we see obesity epidemic year after year.

Look I am not against if it works happy days but what I see majority obese people go back to square one when trying to lose weight, reason? perhaps not addressing root cause.

I tell you what doesn't work, having been that soldier, is unsustainable "diets". Me, and most obese people, don't need drastic changes in their diet. It starts with portion control. For me, that was with the kitchen scales and my fitness pal. For others that portion/ consumption control comes with IF. For some it's low carb.

I tried and failed for years on "diets" until I accepted it was the start of a change in diet. For the vast majority of people, giving up carbs is not sustainable. There's an entire industry selling quick fixes, not sustainable changes, unfortunately including some medical practioners.

I tell you what doesn't work, having been that soldier, is unsustainable "diets". Me, and most obese people, don't need drastic changes in their diet. It starts with portion control. For me, that was with the kitchen scales and my fitness pal. For others that portion/ consumption control comes with IF. For some it's low carb.

I tried and failed for years on "diets" until I accepted it was the start of a change in diet. For the vast majority of people, giving up carbs is not sustainable. There's an entire industry selling quick fixes, not sustainable changes, unfortunately including some medical practioners.

Perhaps you can tell why obesity in Ireland jumped up to the sky?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/obesity-in-irish-men-increasing-at-alarming-rate-1.3610457
    image.png

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Because people have become lazy glutinous c77ts for the most part
    Drive everywhere and do as little as possible in sedentary jobs, we don’t even have to leave the house to get fast food now with Uber eats etc

So you recon overeating is the problem?

Yes, as does the article you just linked too.
    Of course my diet also had a lot to do with the huge weight gain as I was eating a lot of takeaway food as well as crisps, chocolate and fizzy drinks

Overeating and/or eating too much calorie dense foods. Which are readily available in a way they weren't to previous generations. More sedentary lifestyles and less manual jobs.

The medical director of Safefood quoted in the article said the first thing people should address is portion size.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭bladespin

In a nutshell it is, for the vast majority, caloric demand has reduced while intake has risen, it’s not so much what you eat as it is how much, the ready availability of cheap, nasty but tasty food hasn’t helped either.

Once you’ve achieved a reasonably healthy weight then is the time to be more specific about ‘what’ you eat.

Yes, as does the article you just linked too.

Overeating and/or eating too much calorie dense foods. Which are readily available in a way they weren't to previous generations. More sedentary lifestyles and less manual jobs.

Are you referring to hedonic hunger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,137 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hold on, are you trying to say that the spike in obesity in Ireland is carb related?
    Because Irish people famously only found carbs in the late 1990s.

What were obesity rates like in 1840? What % of intake was carbohydrate?

The medical director of Safefood quoted in the article said the first thing people should address is portion size.
    And there is a problem, in my opinion, in the packaging labelling in this regard. A 12 inch frozen pizza is serves 2, all the nutritional information is based upon that. The microwave sachet's of rice (and other grains) are serves 2. Pasta nutritional info given on cooked weight, so even if you want to weigh out a portion dry before you cook it, it's a pain in the arse.

But that doesn't change the bottom line that portion control is a massive problem. I've said many times on here, the first month at least of me changing my diet actually wasn't a change in my diet, just modifying portions.
    Are you referring to hedonic hunger?
    No, just readily available tasty foods. I think all of us eat foods just for the pleasure of eating them at some point, but in overall population terms it's just people taking the easy, tasty option.

Are you really suggesting a nice indian, or chinese, or pizza isn't tasty as f*ck? Which is grand in moderation, but too many people are eating this stuff multiple times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

And there is a problem, in my opinion, in the packaging labelling in this regard. A 12 inch frozen pizza is serves 2.

That will entirely depend on my mood.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    That will entirely depend on my mood.
    Me too, 100%. But these are being dished out multiple times a week in some households.

And there is a problem, in my opinion, in the packaging labelling in this regard. A 12 inch frozen pizza is serves 2, all the nutritional information is based upon that. The microwave sachet's of rice (and other grains) are serves 2. Pasta nutritional info given on cooked weight, so even if you want to weigh out a portion dry before you cook it, it's a pain in the arse.

But that doesn't change the bottom line that portion control is a massive problem. I've said many times on here, the first month at least of me changing my diet actually wasn't a change in my diet, just modifying portions.

Agree on labelling. There are times I would have to identify as a family to justify a portion on my plate. Which brings education/awareness into the equation.

And as well, people eat with their eyes, it's only a half dinner if the plate is only half full.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Because the amount of calories eaten went up and the activity levels went down

Are you saying that ireland was a lo carb nation before the 80s ?

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Because the amount of calories eaten went up and the activity levels went down

Are you saying that ireland was a lo carb nation before the 80s ?

Two words: Batch bread! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Just on the topic of keto, found this very interesting.

Bangladeshi people eat a diet focused mostly on processed carbs. They eat over 440 grams of white rice daily, on average. Which is almost 600 calories daily from white rice alone. Milk and meat are consumed very rarely.

Bangladesh has the SECOND lowest obesity rate on the entire planet, just after Vietnam, who coincidentally also eat massive amounts of processed carbs daily.

And funnily enough, Americans eat the most animal products per capita of any country on earth..12th highest obesity rate in the world.

So..what was that about calories in vs out being nonsense :rolleyes:

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Just on the topic of keto, found this very interesting.

Bangladeshi people eat a diet focused mostly on processed carbs.

2015 Bangladesh over 7.1 million people had diabetes, 3.7 million cases were undiagnosed and about 129 000 deaths were attributed to the disease. 10 The prevalence of diabetes in Bangladesh, based on published studies, ranges from 2.21% to 35%.

Mellor wrote: »
    Hold on, are you trying to say that the spike in obesity in Ireland is carb related?
    Because Irish people famously only found carbs in the late 1990s.

What were obesity rates like in 1840? What % of intake was carbohydrate?

Carbs%2Bvs.%2Bobesity.jpg

• Advertisement

Even though that's the US and not Ireland, as asked, what's happening post 2000?

Bit of an own goal there no? If Carb intake is as important for weight loss as you claim then Americans should have at the very least seen a fall off in growth in obesity rates since the proportion of carbs in the diet dropped so much from 2000 onward

Even though that's the US and not Ireland, as asked, what's happening post 2000?

Google. It's even worst at this stage

Google. It's even worst at this stage

Well, no, I'd like your take on why obesity continues to grow in the US even though its decoupled from carb intake.

Well, no, I'd like your take on why obesity continues to grow in the US even though its decoupled from carb intake.

Google it and you will find the answer. Gym time now.

According to scientific and religions data.

Nonprocessed carbs diet fine as longer as you do periodic fasting and that's what missing I guess.

According to scientific and religions data.

Nonprocessed carbs diet fine as longer as you do periodic fasting and that's what missing I guess.

Religions data?

If you've ever been there then it's easy to understand, bad food is cheap, pretty much every food court has an 'all you can eat', it's painful to watch the mobility carts going from one to the other all day!
    In many fast food outlets it's often actually cheaper to go for the 'large' portion than regular (already as big as a large here), there's competition in the food industry to provide the 'best value' deal, yes they eat a lot of carby food but that's why.

bladespin wrote: »
    If you've ever been there then it's easy to understand, bad food is cheap, pretty much every food court has an 'all you can eat', it's painful to watch the mobility carts going from one to the other all day!
    In many fast food outlets it's often actually cheaper to go for the 'large' portion than regular (already as big as a large here), there's competition in the food industry to provide the 'best value' deal, yes they eat a lot of carby food but that's why.

Americans don't particularly eat a lot of carbs as a proportion of their diet, American diet includes very high amounts of protein and the most animal products eaten of any diet globally. But yes it is the quantity which is the issue, which brings us back to what many people have been saying forever on here, that the calories are of far more importance to weight loss than the carbs

• Advertisement

Religions data?

Oh yes. Have you read any religious books and what they say about fasting?

Advertisement