Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s the best diet for weight loss ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭deco72

Forget actual specific diets e.g. keto as you'll end up restricting certain food groups that are needed.

1) Find maintenance calories
    2) Reduce by 300-500 cals per day
    3) Add exercise - strength training is great for this

Also better to track measurements than weight, weight will depend on a lot of factors and is very hard to determine if it is actually fat loss. Get properly measured (tape and body fat), and get this redone every 2 weeks to stay on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Websites =/= studies

Based on studies Gov taxing sugar since

OmegaGene wrote: »
    bags of sugar are not taxed lol

As an adult you can either eat with spoon or use as fertilizer in your garden. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Excessive sugar being a problem in the populations diet, and Governments putting in place measures to reduce overall consumption is very different from Governments saying Sugar is addictive or even a problem in of itself! As has been pointed out, there's no tax on bags of sugar (when you can get it, and the sugar junkies haven't cleared out the supermarkets!)

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Excessive sugar being a problem in the populations diet, and Governments putting in place measures to reduce overall consumption is very different from Governments saying Sugar is addictive or even a problem in of itself! As has been pointed out, there's no tax on bags of sugar (when you can get it, and the sugar junkies haven't cleared out the supermarkets!)

We are getting there one step at the time same as with tobacco

Unhealthy snacks to be banned from checkouts at supermarkets
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/dec/28/unhealthy-snacks-to-be-banned-from-checkouts-supermarkets-in-england

Banning sweets at supermarket checkouts 'works'
    https://www.bbc.com/news/health-46591181

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

markmoto wrote: »
    Based on studies Gov taxing sugar since

Not even close to being relevant to supporting it being an addiction.

No one is saying excessive sugar is a good idea. Just that it's not a physiological dependence in the same way as smack or coke.

Again, it is not the same as saying Sugar is addictive. They're targeting unhealthy foods, that are high in sugar (and those that are high in fat). Not sugar itself. There's no proposed ban on bags of sugar at checkouts, multi buy offers on icing sugar* being banned, or promotions on fruits like mango or grapes!

*the best for mainlining, as it dissolves most easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Mellor wrote: »
    Birds fly by flapping their wings.
    Birds fly if they flap their wings.

Seems to be two ways to say the same thing.
    Only that latter makes less sense as a response to the previous post.
    I mean, if we’re going to be pedantic keto doesn’t need a deficit at all if you’re not trying to lose weight. ;)

I am not being pedantic at all , you didn't say the same thing since keto doesn't create a deficit . There has to be an very conscious intervention by the practitioner to eat in a deficit if your trying to lose weight on keto

And no you don't need a deficit on keto if your not trying to lose weight but the running them of this thread thus far has been weight loss

Are you looking to lose weight only or enhance & prolong quality of your life as well?
    Apparently ketogenic diet offer all that, carbs not.

Apparently? You either believe it or you don't. Which side of the fence are you on? So your basically saying if someone chooses to loose weight by including carbs in their diet that they can only loose weight but this type of weight loss doesn't enhance or prolong the quality of your life and that that benefit is exclusive to the keto dieters. Do you not realize how deluded that statement is ? I think I am going to have to check out with regards responding to your posts, they are too stupid to warrant debating. By the way I don't get into arguments with flat earth believers or creationists either

• Advertisement

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Apparently? You either believe it or you don't. Which side of the fence are you on? So your basically saying if someone chooses to loose weight by including carbs in their diet that they can only loose weight but this type of weight loss doesn't enhance or prolong the quality of your life and that that benefit is exclusive to the keto dieters. Do you not realize how deluded that statement is ? I think I am going to have to check out with regards responding to your posts, they are too stupid to warrant debating. By the way I don't get into arguments with flat earth believers or creationists either

Delusion to make post without checking facts about proven benefits running body on ketones as primary energy source. But I don't blame you are a human after all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Kinda easy, 1500 calories per day, Water and some exercise did it for me. 4 St in 6 months. No magic pill really out there. Burn more than you consume makes sense and actually works !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I add a few g’s of dextrose into my morning protein shake, street value up to 45cent.
    It hits the spot soo good man. I wouldn’t call it an addiction, it’s a habit, and I can quit whenever I want. I just don’t think it’s the right time to stop yet.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I add a few g’s of dextrose I can quit whenever I want. I just don’t think it’s the right time to stop yet.

:D lol

Delusion to make post without checking facts about proven benefits running body on ketones as primary energy source. But I don't blame you are a human after all. :)

Jesus wept

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I am not being pedantic at all , you didn't say the same thing since keto doesn't create a deficit .
    But I didn't suggest keto always creates a deficit. :confused:
    Pedantic might not be the best word at that might imply the person was correct. So maybe being petty is more accurate.

"Birds fly by flapping their wings" - there's nothing wrong with that statement, it describes how birds fly. Insisting on clarifying that they only fly IF they flap their wings is petty and bizarre.
    There has to be an very conscious intervention by the practitioner to eat in a deficit if your trying to lose weight on keto
    Not really. A deficit creates fat loss, whether it's conscious or subconscious. That's not specific to keto.

Many diet tend to create deficits subconsciously, they are better for weight loss.
    Many diets create surplus unconsciously, they are better for weight gain.
    And no you don't need a deficit on keto if your not trying to lose weight but the running them of this thread thus far has been weight loss
    And we where talking about when keto works (for weight loss).
    A deficit is implicit, hence the above being bizarre.

When you get off glucose as prime energy source you be able to control food intake without will power, no cravings or prolong hunger spikes either.

Hence keto works for weight loss regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Cill94

This thread is why you should never talk about politics, religion, or nutrition at Christmas dinner. A lot of **** being flung and no opinions changed.

I think I'll just quietly enjoy my diabetes and roast potatoes in the corner until markmoto tires himself out.

Cill94 wrote: »
    This thread is why you should never talk about politics, religion, or nutrition at Christmas dinner. A lot of **** being flung and no opinions changed.

I think I'll just quietly enjoy my diabetes and roast potatoes in the corner until markmoto tires himself out.

:) That's probably why when you go to GP s/he never talks, just write prescription, take cash and wish you all the best

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

:) That's probably why when you go to GP s/he never talks, just write prescription, take cash and wish you all the best

They should offer an avacado instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭TheRef

About 6 years ago I done keto for about 6 months. I tested every couple of days by peeing on to the keto strips as it is very easy to fall out of ketosis.
    It was not easy to stick to and while I wouldn't say it was hard to keep a calorie deficit, that was only because of the difficulty in eating clean, so it really limited choices (lol to those who think having fried sausages and bacon for breakfast and lunch is good for you long term).
    There was also the keto flu to deal with.

I still wanted a bag of jellies or a few biscuits or a slice of cake.
    I struggled when I was not eating at home.
    The food choices are very limited.
    I was still hungry at times.

At the moment, I am about 6 weeks into a diet, focusing on fruit, vegetable and fish. It's easier as I was away recently and could eat whatever I liked.

The only thing I would say with certainty is that the only diet that works for weight loss is a diet that the person will stick to.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    They should offer an avacado instead?

Avacado? :)
    Yeah go for it gives you good ratio on sodium-potassium proton pump workflow when lifting heavy stuff in the gym.

When you get off glucose as prime energy source you be able to control food intake without will power, no cravings or prolong hunger spikes either.

Lots of things work for weight loss for different people.

Keto works for some.

The end.

TheRef wrote: »
    About 6 years ago I done keto for about 6 months. I tested every couple of days by peeing on to the keto strips as it is very easy to fall out of ketosis.
    It was not easy to stick to and while I wouldn't say it was hard to keep a calorie deficit, that was only because of the difficulty in eating clean, so it really limited choices (lol to those who think having fried sausages and bacon for breakfast and lunch is good for you long term).
    There was also the keto flu to deal with.

I still wanted a bag of jellies or a few biscuits or a slice of cake.
    I struggled when I was not eating at home.
    The food choices are very limited.
    I was still hungry at times.

At the moment, I am about 6 weeks into a diet, focusing on fruit, vegetable and fish. It's easier as I was away recently and could eat whatever I liked.

The only thing I would say with certainty is that the only diet that works for weight loss is a diet that the person will stick to.

The keto and other low carb zealots would say otherwise. They are of the belief that their way is the ONLY way. Me personally I know this to be a fallacy . I have no problem with anyone doing keto if that's what you truly enjoy eating. But **** anyone that tries to tell me you cant lose weight and be healthy eating having carbs as part of your diet . There is too much evidence to suggest the contrary

So that's why America has an obesity problem. People eating too much porridge for breakfast . Or could it be the baked potato they had with their steak for dinner? . Have you considered perhaps that portion sizes and highly palatable low dense food which contain all 3 macros may be more of a culbrit? The thing is you and other people like you label these junk foods like burgers chips doubnuts cakes crisps etc into the carb bracket only when they have just as much if not more fat in them
    So many people get brain washed by a diet like its a religion . Look up the term orthorexia . It might open your mind a bit

So many people get brain washed by a diet like its a religion . Look up the term orthorexia . It might open your mind a bit
    It really is like fundamentalism. I say again, what's so hard about the phrase "what worked for me was" or "what I found sustainable was"? No need to justify it with faux science.

So that's why America has an obesity problem. People eating too much porridge for breakfast . Or could it be the baked potato they had with their steak for dinner? . Have you considered perhaps that portion sizes and highly palatable low dense food which contain all 3 macros may be more of a culbrit? The thing is you and other people like you label these junk foods like burgers chips doubnuts cakes crisps etc into the carb bracket only when they have just as much if not more fat in them

Referring to orthorexia?
    Abnormalities in serotonin levels can lead to depression and anxiety, both for under-eaters and over-eaters, as well as other mental disorders such as Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, and Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).

And guess what cause serotonin abnormalities?
    Hence for obese people is soo hard to permanently lose weight with other diets except ketogenic which fix mental state & hormonal dis-balance in the process.

Hence for obese people is soo hard to permanently lose weight with other diets except ketogenic which fix mental state & hormonal dis-balance in the process.

As you already said
    Low carb not the only way agree, whatever suit you.

Sustainability is the single most important element in a lifestyle change. Not the quantity of carbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It really is like fundamentalism. I say again, what's so hard about the phrase "what worked for me was" or "what I found sustainable was"? No need to justify it with faux science.
    There’s plenty that cut with low carb diets and preach the kinds of nonsense you are seeing here.
    The issue is that the people that know it’s one of a dozen methods are happy to do so silently.
    The guys spouting nonsense are not a fair representation. Probably applies to a lot of things really.

• Advertisement

Sustainability is the single most important element in a lifestyle change. Not the quantity of carbs.

For you, fit and healthy would be hard to understand. Changing lifestyle for obese people absolutely different game. What works for you and people who got a little overweight wont work for people who grow up being fat.

Advertisement