Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Wow! 24c in usually temperate Valentia already at 10am according to ME. That already exceeds the max temp there from Monday and Tuesday. Could we see a record for that station today??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Belmullet and Newport Mayo both 27c at 11am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

A full degree higher than this time yesterday now so I think we'll breach 30C or maybe even 31C later.

One very noticeable thing about this spell is how the real heat is in the evening rather than afternoon. Why is that?

Eg yesterday's peak here of 29.6C was at 6pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

absolutely beautiful morning in Dublin, 24 degrees at 11am.

I see Newport is already at 27, as is Belmullet (dont say that too often!). Mount Dillon at 26 and no doubt it will go very high today! Malin Head 16 degrees which is just ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The heat is searing.

Even with a small breeze.. that itself is hot air

My sales table at the end of the drive has just gone self service as there is no way to sit out as usual.

Hotter than any day so far and a more airless sultry quality to it

West Mayo offshore

y

• Registered Users Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It will be interesting to see if Furnace can top 30C today as the trend for this week is for it to peak around 14.00.

Its tough to call with peak temperatures, quite frequently we are seeing the highest temp in some locations at 5pm. I would have always thought 3pm would be the hottest part of the day but there have been frequent cases this week of 28-29 degrees around 5 or even 6pm. I am not sure that is normal to have a peak at that time of day but I could be mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Working in inchicore, Dublin today (was back home in Kildare since last week before today) and just back from a short walk to the shop. There's a fresh enough sea breeze blowing, very noticeable in the shade. In the sun it's pleasant enough but barely warm in the shade when exposed to the wind. Would love to be back home where the warmth is!

• Advertisement

28 degrees at Mount Dillon at 12pm. Things really heating up now. Even Dublin Airport (dublin's coolest location with exposure to breeze from coast) is already at 25 degrees. I would be amazed if something like 31 is not hit today in the midlands. Valentia is 27 degrees which is remarkable for its location

Ehhh, i am near the coast and there is barely a breeze in North Dublin and its 25 degrees in the shade. Mullingar which is well inland is only currently 1 degree warmer than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Indeed. Was in Dublin a few days ago and the relief from the inland oven was beautiful!

Kildare is the Sonoran Desert of Ireland, is it? 😋

Maybe it's because I've been a good bit inland with calm/almost calm conditions and any short lived light breeze was a warm one so I've become used to the apparent higher heat. Definitely a lot lot cooler here in inchicore, nearer to the coast. Was expecting a blast of warmth when I walked out of the office but felt a coolish breeze instead (in the shade). Hoping to get back home in a couple of hours so will be interesting if there is much difference in temperature between Dublin and Kildare.

The likes of Kildare/Carlow today may swelter due to the SEly component to the breeze over the Wicklow and Blackstairs mountains

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Ah would ya stop. It's about 25º in most places in Dublin right now as per Met E - even at DA. And all those temps are taken in the shade!

Oh I'm not denying the temperature readings. I'm just saying that the "Real Feel" in Dublin makes it feel a lot cooler in Dublin today than it has done for me over the past few days, about 40km inland. That, combined with no sea breeze (none to very little wind most of the time but was a warm wind when it did appear) at home plus a few degrees higher temperature seems to have resulted in my acclimatising to the warmer weather so now that I am in Dublin, the coolish sea breeze is more apparent to me because I've not been experiencing it.

Looking at Wundermap for a rough idea of temperatures (most stations would be considered amateur but most are high spec stations (Davis, for example), the closest stations to my home are Kilcock and Clane and they are currently reporting 29° and 30° respectively.

At my workplace, the closest stations are near Rialto and Crumlin are both reporting 26° so without even taking into account the cooler and stronger breeze nearer the coast, there's at least 3° temperature difference. I can't wait to get back to the oven @pad199207 !!!

Well if you're depending on what's coming in here from the se at Arklow to cool ya down, ya may get other ideas 🤣

Its only 7kmh up at 30ft at my station and its in the middle of a field, no concrete,enclosed garden adjacent houses or anything to cause the breeze to be so weak

Our only saving grace is we being within 2kms of the sea when it's not a land breeze,always have a Marine layer 🤣🤣

23c here atm

Latest pictures coming through from Kildare (carried by highly trained vultures)

• Advertisement

All ya need is the Naas Ball in that and your talking 😂😂😂

LOL, afraid no vultures down my way; only buzzards and sparrowhawks 😝

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

28.6C at Mt Dillon and Navan ACS on WOW at 1300

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

27C now at Dunshaughlin making today the second warmest day of the year. Last Saturday reached 28C here so just a little bit more and we may reach 28C at some point today. Looking at the met eireann reports most stations are between 25 and 28C. Mt Dillion is at 29C so there is a chance it may reach 30C later.

As has been said many times already it's such a shame we have so few weather stations and the vast majority of them are located not too far from the coast either. A severe lack of official weather stations well inland.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

31.6 at Trim on WOW at 1300.

Could be some localised thunderstorms in the next couple of hours for N Connacht/West Ulster.

West of Limerick city Clonmacken Link Road on the nra website has the highest temperature 31.8c. Not official.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

Glorious day here in South Wicklow. Thank god there's a bit of a breeze blowing. 10 month old napping happily in the shade in a vest so I'm catching some rays before we all jump in the paddling pool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Lots of convection has kicked off all of a sudden around here, went from totally clear skies to ~50% cloud in half an hour. Reminds me of the skies you see in Thailand in the late morning when the monsoon storms are building so wouldn't be surprised to see a few localised downpours

Advertisement