Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Amazing picture.

I’m never taking this fabulous weather for granted in this country. Knowing our luck August could be awful 😂

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

August is'nt looking great. No doubt it will end up being the poorest month of the summer as it usually does. We've already had a great summer and despite August looking rather unsettled with average temperatures, hopefully we will get another warm and settled spell in August. If we do get another fine spell it will probably be in the second half of August. We often get nice weather during the first two weeks of September as well, hopefully one final spell in early to mid September.

Make the most of the next 3 days, it's not often we get warm and settled spells to the level of the current one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sunrise here in West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Please can some kind person deal with the photos..I spent ten minutes on my old laptop and this is the best I could put. The photo is worth the work I assure you

Thank you

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Beautiful photos Syran and Graces, really goes to show how beautiful Ireland is when the weather is fantastic.

3 more days of very warm temperatures to go. I know a few people who will happy to see the end of the hot weather and it will turn cooler from Saturday particularly in eastern areas. Sunday and early next week could be slightly warmer again with temperatures back into the low to mid twenties.

Looking at the ECM long range forecast the first two weeks of August is looking rather worrying for Germany and central Europe. The unsettled and cooler weather that is heading our way from Friday is also going to take over much of central Europe. It may become wetter and more volatile once again over the same areas that have been devastated by flooding in recent weeks. Southern and eastern England also look in store for a fairly wet 7 to 10 days while Ireland may escape the worst of the rain and showers.

Could August be shaping up to be a repeat of July with a poor first half and much better second half? Time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Orange - High Temperature warning for Cavan, Monaghan, south Leitrim, Roscommon, Longford, Westmeath

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Maximum temperatures exceeding 30 degrees Celsius in places and overnight temperatures dropping no lower than around 20 degrees.

For advice please check www.gov.ie/summerready ​

Valid: 14:00 Tuesday 20/07/2021 to 09:00 Friday 23/07/2021

Issued: 11:32 Tuesday 20/07/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Status Orange - High Temperature warning for Cavan, Monaghan, south Leitrim, Roscommon, Longford, Westmeath

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Maximum temperatures exceeding 30 degrees Celsius in places and overnight temperatures dropping no lower than around 20 degrees.

For advice please check www.gov.ie/summerready ​

Valid: 14:00 Tuesday 20/07/2021 to 09:00 Friday 23/07/2021

Issued: 11:32 Tuesday 20/07/2021

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

What do statuses mean in this context? If it was stormy weather we might not be allowed travel to work for example, but, in this case?

Yellow and Orange heat warnings for heat are very rare for Ireland. Unlike other warnings for wind, ice, snow etc, heat warnings wouldn't really affect people travelling but more of a caution to keep hydrated and apply sun cream when outside in the sun for any length of time. These sort of temperatures can also be tough on the elderly so they will need to be careful in this sort of weather and keep themselves well hydrated and to stay out of the sun as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Newport Co.Mayo 27 degrees at Midday. Not sure i recall seeing that before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Another stunning day in Dublin, this really is one for the weather archives. Temperature hovering between 23-24 degrees so far. Such a nice temperature to sit out in

👆

This

30c in a suburban back garden heat trap where it feels like 40c couldn't be pleasant when there's no pool ,beach or pool bar

And no Air Con in the house

Hmmmmmm... Cocktails 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Almost 27° in Kildare at 1pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Stunner of a day in Letterkenny after the usual morning cloud burned off early today. Sitting in the garden for lunch and it feels like being on holiday, perfect temperature and heat. Going to be hard to go back in to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If you're in a vulnerable category, it means you might need to take measures to get access to air conditioned accommodation

Also, workers who are going to be outdoors or un-airconditioned buildings should be given extra breaks and hydration

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Delighted for you as you usually have it tough up there. Enjoy!

Newport 28 degrees at 1pm

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The UK Met Office seem to be suggesting that

On the other hand the ECM clusters yesterday did not look good for the first week of August. Anyway we've had it really good, so I won't complain when it ends.

Newport Mayo 28 degrees at 1pm. Surely 30 will be hit in Ireland today although tomorrow and Thursday to be the hottest days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

The met office have issued an Amber extreme heat warning for all of the North from 8am Wednesday until 23.59 Friday. I think the highest recorded temperature will be broken again. An exceptional spell of weather.

https://mobile.twitter.com/metoffice/status/1417454197608488972

• Advertisement

The Past 4 days have been like the first 4 days of a July summer holiday in Spain after arriving from Ireland. Constant need for liquids, getting thirsty regularly. When on walks I have to take a break half way through to buy a bottle of vithit/cold ice tea to keep me hydrated for the journey home. I do this all the time in Spain but never had to do it before in Ireland till this week. My body alone is telling me that the past 4 days is properly hot and it's not just the height of the temperatures, it's the duration of high temperatures from early morning till sunset. Even in 2018 and 2013 the temperatures would start off relatively cool in the mornings and slowly rise to hit a peak around 5pm and a cooling trend into nightfall. There's a big difference with this spell with day after day of temperatures constantly in the mid twenties and high twenties for the majority of daylight hours.

Newport Co.Mayo is 29 degrees at 2pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭mcburns07

This spell is about on par with the glorious spell we had mid July 2013 down here in Cork. Temperatures bottomed out at 14-15c every day for two weeks and we hit mid 20s most days and that's at Cork Airport which is typically a bit lower than what you would find in other parts of the county.

I pulled together a quick chart from Met Eireann historical data :)

29 degrees at 2pm at Newport in Mayo.....crikey. Surely they could hit 30 or 31 at this rate with temps often peaking around 4 or 5pm. Amazing to look at the two locations in Donegal..........Malin Head 14 degrees and Finner is 27 degrees.

Where is the hottest temperature expected over the next couple of days, presumably Mount Dillon or Shannon Airport? I would think Oak Park might go close too.

Here in Dublin its 24 degrees and its bliss. give me mid 20s every time even when i am on holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Gone 30.4C just outside of Castlebar, but the garden is a bit of heat trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

I remember it so well. We had just finished a week holiday in France where the weather was only so so. We arrived into Ringaskiddy on the ferry and the weather was just glorious.

Only time I ever remember coming home to better weather than I left abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Athenry weather station not reporting anything for the last day or so on ME website. It potentially is a favoured spot for some of highest temperatures this spell. Let's hope it gets resolved soon or we could be missing out on a potential record value over next couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭HoliyMoliy

Unreal weather 🌞. Long May it last!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭terrarev

I live near the Athenry station and my thermometer has it at 29oC at the moment and it's been pretty similar to the station values all week so hopefully they get it sorted whatever it is. There's a cooling breeze out though so I don't know if there's enough to break the 30 but we'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Day 5 of eating lunch outside.

Then sitting/lying in the garden

Wonderful

Advertisement