Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

I remember back on August 2nd 1995 23C in old Kilkenny station at 11pm. July 1989 was similar.

A little late warm spell that had warm temps until midnight was 31 August 1999- 4th September 1999. Unusual enough as the 1991 first week of September had 28C recorded in Valentia but the evenings cooled with sundown quickly enough that late in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Bbc weather for the North have 31c for South/Western areas of the North tomorrow. Thursday could be warmer again and Friday may reach 30s again. I wouldn't rule out 32c being reached over the next days here. I'll go for 32.5c.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Very dense fog now in West Clare, but utterly dead and very mild out. Very interesting weather, never experienced anything like this in Ireland before.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The same down the coast here in Kerry , 18.3C , steady temperature for hours now and dead calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Was on banna at 9 this evening. Could see the fog in ballyheigue, never mind ballybunion with the with the fog in Banna. 🤣

Lovely evening for a walk

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Newport Furnace finally living up to it's name 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Remote controlled Fan heater operating in cool mode for the last few nights in my sitting room. Near Limerick city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Saw this posted elsewhere. "Foggy Tralee Bay", presumably this evening going by reports. Stunning shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I know. It annoys me that my home county of Kerry only has one ME station in the most exposed coastal island location of Valentia and is generally not representative of typical weather in most of Kerry. The difference in temps in Finner 27c and Malin 14c today in County Donegal show you how variable conditions can be within a county. Its a pity Kerry Airport doesn't have an official station as its inland and halfway between the population centres of Tralee and Killarney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Sticky here in Carrick on Shannon still 20c at 6 mins to midnight, never felt weather like this ever, I'm a 97 baby so I'd say this is on par with heat in 95 summer but not by length

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Not a breath of wind out there tonight making it very very difficult to cool the house. Fans going ninety.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Kind man. I do have a weblog; islandanchorhold.blogspot.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Durrow figures for Syranbruen so he can update his earlier table :)

Saturday 29.6c

Sunday 29.1c

Monday 29.2c

Tuesday 29.4c

No tropical nights here yet, this valley location is not great for holding the heat once the sun sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Kerry Airport is available on XCweather.co.uk - Think it only reports from morning till evening though.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

Tomorrow I shall be flinging myself into a lovely lake in the west midlands (Loughrea). I first leapt into it in mid-August last year on an overcast yet breeze-free day that had an air temperature of 19°C or MAY have just about scraped 20°C at one point. The water was extremely pleasant then so I have high hopes for tomorrow. I cannot wait. Bring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Utterly hushed and bright and clear and still. Panorama looks like a huge still mural. The ocean flat calm. A rare dazzling sight.

More small clouds scattered each day now

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

20°c in Shannon, Knock and Dublin airports at 8:30am, now that's a rare sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Last night was horrible :@

Currently 21.2c in Arklow after an overnight low of 14c

Expecting no higher than 23c today depending on when the sea breeze gets going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I would take 25 degrees every single day of the week, its my favourite temperature, anything between 24 - 27 is absolute perfection for me but hopefully somewhere in midlands / mid west sees over 30 degrees today and tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Left Killarney yesterday under blue skies and intense heat. Arrived in North Kerry under a blanket of sea fog.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yikes, already 25.0C at the Connemara National Park climate station at 9 a.m.!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Last night we went to Portrane beach in North Dublin and (drum roll) the water was warm!!!!

Actually warm! We couldn't believe it!

About 18c I reckon. A glorious evening and a fantastic way to cool off after a day of almost 30c on our deck in Firhouse D24.

I'm still stunned!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Cork has 4 stations but, again, I'm not sure any are representative of the temperatures being experienced by most of the population, I.e. Cork City and suburbs. Sherkin is on an Island 2 hours away, Roches Point is a lighthouse on a headland jutting out to sea about 30km away, Cork Airport is 170m ASL on a hill 10km from the city and Moore Park is in Fermoy 30km further inland. Basically, for summer temps, Sherkin, Roches Point and Cork Airport all show lower temps than most of us are experiencing and Moore Park is usually higher. The mid point of Moore Park and Cork Airport is probably about right for Cork City and suburbs so yesterday that would mean 25.6 or so (Moore Park was 26.7 and the airport was 24.4). Sherkin and Roches Point are always 2+ degrees cooler than the city it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Mean maxima at the reporting Met stations for the last 5 days.

From Met Eireann.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Same problem in Donegal where both Malin and Finner are right on the coast, Finner can seemingly escape the coastal influence every once in a while but Malin is permanently stuck between 10C and 15C year round.

It was sweltering in Letterkenny yesterday yet Malin, our nearest station had a high of 14C!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I said it just recently but there is a lot of weather missed out on (in terms of official reportage) because of the scant number of weather stations across the country.. except for Dublin which, despite being one of the smaller counties, has three of them. The SE is definitely underrepresented as is the SW.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

My home station in Galway City yesterday recorded 31.1 degrees with not a breath of wind going to work this morning at 8.30 it was showing 21 degrees I don't think the temperature readings would be far off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I think a few key locations should definitely have weather stations with hourly reporting on the Met Eireann updates..............Kilkenny, somewhere like Birr or Banagher in Offaly, Durrow in Laois, definitely at least two more locations in Donegal like Donegal town, Dungloe or Letterkenny. I also think some places around Lough Derg like Portumna, Killaloe. I think around Wicklow, somewhere like Newtownmountkennedy or Enniskerry

Advertisement