Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭sporina

Same here. People sitting “outdoors” making the best of it and it’s bloody cold. No thanks.

its v sad.. I wouldn't mind if it was a blip but its consistent now really - bar the odd good day... but yeah, the climate is really fecked.. global warming for sure - no going back now me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

sporina wrote: »
    its v sad.. I wouldn't mind if it was a blip but its consistent now really - bar the odd good day... but yeah, the climate is really fecked.. global warming for sure - no going back now me thinks

LOL

Met Eireann forcast below, looks great. It's normal Irish summer weather. Rare if ever that we get wall to wall sunshine and high temperatures for the whole summer.

"Outlook: Lots of dry weather expected as high pressure dominates.

Sunday night: Largely dry across the country on Sunday night with clear spells and just a few well-scattered showers. Minimum temperatures of 8 to 11 degrees in moderate northerly breezes.

Monday: On Monday most of the country will be dry with spells of warm sunshine. There is just the chance of a few showers moving in from the Irish Sea to affect southeastern counties. Maximum afternoon temperatures will range 18 to 22 degrees generally but cooler at the coast due to brisk onshore breezes. Mostly dry on Monday night with clear spells and lows of 9 to 12 degrees.

Tuesday: It looks set to be a mostly dry and warm day on Tuesday with spells of sunshine and just the small chance of the odd shower drifting in across south Leinster. Maximum temperatures of 20 to 24 degrees generally but less warm along some coasts due to onshore northerly winds. Dry with clear spells overnight and lows of 10 to 14 degrees."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

sporina wrote: »
    its actually cold here in Cork City.. no rain but grey and COLD.

Going into town and all today to eat outside - try get a walk in…. Not that I need it to be roasting but don’t want it breezy either! Can’t win!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

compsys wrote: »
    Why?

The scenery in the West is stunning. But I couldn’t stand living there weather wise.

The West is cloudier, wetter and cooler than the East. That’s a simple fact. You only need to read the posts on here to see that. And it’s backed up by the stats.

Yes the odd day once each summer is hotter than the East but it’s the longer-term weather that counts.

It’s literally rained three days in Dublin this June where it’s been raining almost every day in parts of the West it would seem.

Despite all the cloud in the west this month, it actually hasn't been that wet!

But you seem to be grounding your misconceptions about the weather in the west with this month, which, like July and August last year, were we also pretty much didn't see the sun throughout, is the exception rather than the rule.

The east in the summer time does get slightly warmer temps over longer periods, but only in a non-extreme way. Look at the temp profile this month for example, I have read that it has been a great summer so far in the east, yet the highest temps recorded there are actually very modest relatively speaking. Around this time in 2018, the west had a few consecutive days with 30c + temps, which is exceptional in itself, but I think that would be evem more so for the eastern half of Ireland if that was to occur there.

As much as I complain about the weather in the west, and there is much to complain about, I would find the weather in the east even more boring to deal with. If big weather is going to happen, it'll more likely happen in the west, because that is just the way it goes.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Look at the temp profile this month for example, I have read that it has been a great summer so far in the east, yet the highest temps recorded there are actually very modest relatively speaking.

I think it's just a case of people defining a great summer as one having lots of usable weather, which has been the case this summer so far. It has most certainly not been a great summer in the traditional sense - lots of sunny days and temperatures into the 20s most of the time. For me, it's been a decent month but far from great, too much cloudy weather to be great especially during that "sizzling heatwave". My part of Dublin has only seen a handful of days in the 20s, which is fine by me but a lot of people prefer it being in the 20s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Living in Galway city and working in a preschool where we are outside every single day. The weather has been awful. Cold, wet and windy. My garden is a mess this year. It's green for sure but no blooms and plants wind burned. It's been a horrible summer so far.

Living in Galway city and working in a preschool where we are outside every single day. The weather has been awful. Cold, wet and windy. My garden is a mess this year. It's green for sure but no blooms and plants wind burned. It's been a horrible summer so far.

It is the same here outside of the city, but rain has not been an issue this month at all, here at least. But having lived in Galway city myself, I know it is far more prone to rain clouds blowing in off the sea.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Artane2002 wrote: »
    I think it's just a case of people defining a great summer as one having lots of usable weather, which has been the case this summer so far. It has most certainly not been a great summer in the traditional sense - lots of sunny days and temperatures into the 20s most of the time. For me, it's been a decent month but far from great, too much cloudy weather to be great especially during that "sizzling heatwave". My part of Dublin has only seen a handful of days in the 20s, which is fine by me but a lot of people prefer it being in the 20s.

Yeah I agree with all of this, some summers by now we've had a 2 or 3 day mini heatwave with temps in the mid 20s and clear skies, but we haven't got that yet. I remember I think the June bank holiday weekend being fantastic last year, before the weather turned to sh*te, I have no stand out memories like that from this June so far. During the "sizzling heatwave" lately it was cloudy all day Saturday and Sunday in Dublin while they were sizzling on beaches in Wexford and further south! A few days of that and I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭compsys

But you seem to be grounding your misconceptions about the weather in the west with this month, which, like July and August last year, were we also pretty much didn't see the sun throughout, is the exception rather than the rule.

The east in the summer time does get slightly warmer temps over longer periods, but only in a non-extreme way. Look at the temp profile this month for example, I have read that it has been a great summer so far in the east, yet the highest temps recorded there are actually very modest relatively speaking. Around this time in 2018, the west had a few consecutive days with 30c + temps, which is exceptional in itself, but I think that would be evem more so for the eastern half of Ireland if that was to occur there.

As much as I complain about the weather in the west, and there is much to complain about, I would find the weather in the east even more boring to deal with. If big weather is going to happen, it'll more likely happen in the west, because that is just the way it goes.

It depends what you value.

But there’s literally almost twice as much rain in the west as the east. It’s sunnier in the east too. And as you said it’s slightly warmer. I’m not grounding my “misconception” on anything. It’s based on actual fact.

I dunno how anyone could prefer the weather in the West. Each to their own I guess. But the simple fact is Dublin is sunnier, warmer and drier than the West. Statistics back this up.

If you still think the weather in the West is better, so be it.

I get why people like to defend their cities. And I’ve no problem with accepting there are far nicer places in Ireland than Dublin. But I do find it laughable that people try to defend the Irish weather on here. In particular the weather in the West.

But there’s literally almost twice as much rain in the west as the east. It’s sunnier in the east too. And as you said it’s slightly warmer. I’m not grounding my “misconception” on anything. It’s based on actual fact.

I dunno how anyone could prefer the weather in the West. Each to their own I guess. But the simple fact is Dublin is sunnier, warmer and drier than the West. Statistics back this up.

I get why people like to defend their cities. And I’ve no problem with accepting there are far nicer places in Ireland than Dublin. But I do find it laughable that people try to defend the Irish weather on here. In particular the weather in the West.
    I'm not defending anything, for what is there to defend?
    I don't think you have a clue about the weather in the west to be honest as you seem to have a very cartoonish idea of it.

Not saying the weather is 'better' here, just (very, very relatively) less boring.

New Moon

• Advertisement

I'm not defending anything, for what is there to defend?
    I don't think you have a clue about the weather in the west to be honest as you seem to have a very cartoonish idea of it.

Not saying the weather is 'better' here, just (very, very relatively) less boring.

I have access to the internet and statistics. And the met eireann website. So Yes, I’ve a pretty good idea about Irish weather. Including that in the West. Also, you’re on here complaining about the weather in the West every day.

I don’t even know what you mean by cartoonish weather lol.

Also, you’re on here complaining about the weather in the West every day.

I don’t even know what you mean by cartoonish weather lol.

And I will continue to complain, but that does not in anyway negate what I have said.

And I didn't say 'cartoonish weather'; I said 'cartoonish idea'.

But if you knew your stats, you'd know that the climate of the west is not as homogeneous as it is in the east of Ireland. One size does not fit all.

New Moon

Gorgeous day in Arklow, lots of sun
    Ne wind is gusty though
    Out of tge wind,the 16.1c feels pleasant

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Grand day here in Tralee. There was more sunshine this morning and early afternoon getting up to 16.1C, more cloud about now and breezy and down to 14.8C and noticeable cooler. Ground is very firm now with 28mm for June, looks like little or no rain here over the next 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

In fairness you seem to be the one getting very defensive about your own weather and seem to be very quick to want to back it up 'statistics' when nobody asked you to.

Yeah we all know the weather is not great in the west, but at least it is varied and we get a mixture of everything every year and some great extremes, it's not bland and banal 12 months of the year and that in itself makes it interesting.

Xenji wrote: »
    In fairness you seem to be the one getting very defensive about your own weather and seem to be very quick to want to back it up 'statistics' when nobody asked you to.

Yeah we all know the weather is not great in the west, but at least it is varied and we get a mixture of everything every year and some great extremes, it's not bland and banal 12 months of the year and that in itself makes it interesting.

In fairness it’s a weather forum though so the basis of any debate should surely be statistics and facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

In fairness it’s a weather forum though so the basis of any debate should surely be statistics and facts.

As mentioned on the previous page a person might be happy with temperatures of 20C and would find anything higher uncomfortable while somebody else might love higher temperatures.

Weather is highly subjective on a personal level for people, nothing wrong with having statistics to show how different areas of the county fair and of course we would not be here if we did not enjoy the science and facts as well, but in the end its up to how the individual themselves view their own weather and that might clash with statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭OldRio

Windy and cloudy. Cool. Crap.
    Co. Leitrim.

Xenji wrote: »
    As mentioned on the previous page a person might be happy with temperatures of 20C and would find anything higher uncomfortable while somebody else might love higher temperatures.

Weather is highly subjective on a personal level for people, nothing wrong with having statistics to show how different areas of the county fair and of course we would not be here if we did not enjoy the science and facts as well, but in the end its up to how the individual themselves view their own weather and that might clash with statistics.

Fair points, but this argument is all very relative anyway as in fairness, the climate of Dublin is not that much different to that of Galway or Cork or Derry when it is averaged out over longer time periods. I think if Compsey' lived a while in the west of Ireland, he'd discover that the weather isn't that bad really, and he would discover that in anticyclonic easterly weather (which we have seen a severe lack in recent summers) that there is no other place in Ireland like it. Those paled out maritime blues from the west just don't compare.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭thomasj

Did you see the London tornado yesterday ? Did a bit of damage to East London.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

an improving scene here in Meath after 3 dull, cool and damp days, yesterday in particular was baltic. Not great today either but we are over the worst of it now and should begin to feel warmer from tomorrow.

Fair points, but this argument is all very relative anyway as in fairness, the climate of Dublin is not that much different to that of Galway or Cork or Derry when it is averaged out over longer time periods. I think if Compsey' lived a while in the west of Ireland, he'd discover that the weather isn't that bad really, and he would discover that in anticyclonic easterly weather (which we have seen a severe lack in recent summers) that there is no other place in Ireland like it. Those paled out maritime blues from the west just don't compare.

Dublin has about half the annual rainfall of the East.

To me that’s a big difference.

Until today I’d genuinely never heard anyone say the weather in the West is better than the East.

That’s not to say the weather in the West is always bad. Of course it can be beautiful. And when we get the rare good spell temps will usually be higher.

But I’d argue it’s the longer term pattern that’s more relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Gonzo wrote: »
    an improving scene here in Meath after 3 dull, cool and damp days, yesterday in particular was baltic. Not great today either but we are over the worst of it now and should begin to feel warmer from tomorrow.

Where would the best weather be tomorrow Gonzo?

Grand day here in Tralee. There was more sunshine this morning and early afternoon getting up to 16.1C, more cloud about now and breezy and down to 14.8C and noticeable cooler. Ground is very firm now with 28mm for June, looks like little or no rain here over the next 5 days.

Just 9.6mm here in Arklow for june
    Ridiculously dry

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Where would the best weather be tomorrow Gonzo?

I think the mid west may get the best of the temperatures tomorrow with southern areas likely to see more sunshine, however sunshine is very difficult to forecast correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Sunny spells this evening. Good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Gonzo wrote: »
    I think the mid west may get the best of the temperatures tomorrow with southern areas likely to see more sunshine, however sunshine is very difficult to forecast correctly.

Going to the beach tomorrow so not sure should I head west for the best temperatures or south for the most sunshine!!!!

And when we get the rare good spell temps will usually be higher.

In general, yes, not always either. But doesn't this show that the weather in the west is more varied also? Mediocre weather, which Dublin seems to get in abundance (which isn't to say we don't get our share either) wouldn't be my thing.

New Moon

In general, yes, not always either. But doesn't this show that the weather in the west is more varied also? Mediocre weather, which Dublin seems to get in abundance (which isn't to say we don't get our share either) wouldn't be my thing.

Perhaps yes.

I get your point that the West’s weather can be slightly more varied/extreme/interesting.

I’d just find the rain difficult to deal with.

But as others have said it can all be very subjective.

• Advertisement

I’d just find the rain difficult to deal with.

And that's fair enough. Just as well I love summer rains!... only we actually haven't seem much of that either this season so far. A spit here, a spot there. It's all been very zzzzz.

New Moon

Advertisement