Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Are you sure it didn’t in 2018? I seem to recall Shannon got up to about 32 or even 33 degrees but the east was closer to 30. I must have been imagining that but I recall a very hot spell around summer 2018 and I was in the Phoenix park a couple of days and the grass was yellow, looked like the African plains at one point

Wikipedia for Dublin has max July temp recorded at Dublin airport is 31 degrees and max August is 30.6.
    sryanbruen wrote: »
    No it didn't. The highest temperature in Phoenix Park since Casement achieved 31C in 2006 is 28.6C on 21 June 2017. The second highest was 27.9C on 27 June 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Are you sure it didn’t in 2018? I seem to recall Shannon got up to about 32 or even 33 degrees but the east was closer to 30. I must have been imagining that but I recall a very hot spell around summer 2018 and I was in the Phoenix park a couple of days and the grass was yellow, looked like the African plains at one point

Wikipedia for Dublin has max July temp recorded at Dublin airport is 31 degrees and max August is 30.6.

We are talking about Dublin only here.

That 31C for July is Casement from 2006 and 30.6C for August is Phoenix Park from 1990, both of which I mentioned.

Just seen the wiki page you mention. Dublin Airport has records since 1939, not 1881. And in the footnotes, they specifically say:

"Extremes are recorded at multiple stations near Dublin, including Dublin Airport, Casement, Phoenix Park and Merrion Square."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

For me, Kerry and cork weather is brutal from my many visits, a friend of mine from cork city who moved to Dublin said the contrast is unbelievable. He couldn’t believe how dry Dublin is in comparison. Donegal is probably my favourite part of the country and in good weather there is nowhere like it but the weather is so unreliable. Galway another fab spot but the rain there is pretty relentless too

Dublin is far drier than Cork, but then Galway is far, far FAR wetter than Cork. I've lived in all three. The number of times it was nice in Dublin and I rang down home to Cork to find it was raining.

Galway is just brutal. I'd never live there again, the weather is just abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Level 42 wrote: »
    Cork City's weather has been rubbish for years rain dull wind overcast you get the odd sunny day but normally the clouds only clear just before evening time.Summer has been a washout

This summer has been a washout in cork city? I dunno about that. 2008 was a washout with 40 days continuous rain. We’re not even a month into the summer yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭appledrop

Freezing today in Dublin, could be a winters day.

Bring on the nice weather next week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Level 42 wrote: »
    Cork City's weather has been rubbish for years rain dull wind overcast you get the odd sunny day but normally the clouds only clear just before evening time.Summer has been a washout

Em, Cork had 66% more sunshine than Dublin last summer, 5h per day versus 3h per day. Cork is actually milder than Dublin (annual avg temp of 10.3 v 9.4 and average July temp of 15.5 v 15.2) and statistically Cork and Dublin airports both get 1424 hours of sunshine per year (Roches Point gets 1460 in fact). But no denying Dublin is much, much drier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Shannon Airport hit 32.0 °C at around 5 pm on June 28th, 2018. There was a whole discussion on it at the time as we all hunted for the location of the station enclosure. It ended up beside a 22,000 sq. m carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I never heard of the driving rain index before but here it is for Ireland.

Been a while since it was issued. 15 is the highest rating on the map and 5 areas have this rating.

3 in Kerry, maybe 1 of those flirting the border with Cork
    1 in North Galway/South Mayo area
    1 in Donegal.

I think Dublin gets warmer summers than cork but then again it probably gets colder winters than cork too. I think yearly average temps are kind of meaningless. Quite often cities will get hot summers and very cold winters bringing an annual temp figure right down, the likes of New York and Chicago would come to mind.

I think it’s more the rainfall, if you look at Dublin airport year to date in 2021, Dublin airport has had 308mm of rain up to 24th June, cork airport has had 653mm in that same time period! Dublin airport would have occasional years where it doesn’t hit 700mm in a whole calendar year
    Em, Cork had 66% more sunshine than Dublin last summer, 5h per day versus 3h per day. Cork is actually milder than Dublin (annual avg temp of 10.3 v 9.4 and average July temp of 15.5 v 15.2) and statistically Cork and Dublin airports both get 1424 hours of sunshine per year (Roches Point gets 1460 in fact). But no denying Dublin is much, much drier.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

We are taking a run at all-time record high temperatures here in southern British Columbia (and probably most of the Pacific northwest U.S.) with a 599 dm high overhead all weekend and into early next week, thicknesses above 582 dm. It has been quite hot for a week here but this looks like a 4-5 C increase on what we have been seeing (low to mid 30s). The all-time record for this province is 44 C (set on a number of different occasions at several locations) and for all of Canada it would be 45 C in SK in 1937. Would not be surprised if we top both of those in BC this weekend. Currently 32C at 1130h local time (and my location is not a candidate for any extremes as we are up at 1050m elevation here, can add 3-4 to my temperatures to estimate hottest valley locations), will let you know how we do with this over the next four or five days. Some relief is indicated after the first of July. Luckily there are no wildfires yet, or this would also come with smoke problems, but that may change (not much potential for dry thunderstorms except maybe in Oregon and southern Idaho and up to the far north of us closer to frontal boundaries). This will have some impact in Alberta and Montana but less so further east.

• Advertisement

Ah yes I remember that now. I think a few places went over 30 degrees that summer but I think Dublin maybe was around 27 or 28 degrees. The breeze off the sea can make all the difference
    Shannon Airport hit 32.0 °C at around 5 pm on June 28th, 2018. There was a whole discussion on it at the time as we all hunted for the location of the station enclosure. It ended up beside a 22,000 sq. m carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Dublin is far drier than Cork, but then Galway is far, far FAR wetter than Cork. I've lived in all three. The number of times it was nice in Dublin and I rang down home to Cork to find it was raining.

Galway is just brutal. I'd never live there again, the weather is just abysmal.

And then there's Letterkenny which is a colder, windier and probably cloudier version of Galway :pac:

Winters around here are more interesting than the rest of the country but I can't deal with the lack of a summer anymore, feels more like late October than mid June today. Time for a move I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I think Dublin gets warmer summers than cork but then again it probably gets colder winters than cork too. I think yearly average temps are kind of meaningless. Quite often cities will get hot summers and very cold winters bringing an annual temp figure right down, the likes of New York and Chicago would come to mind.

I think it’s more the rainfall, if you look at Dublin airport year to date in 2021, Dublin airport has had 308mm of rain up to 24th June, cork airport has had 653mm in that same time period! Dublin airport would have occasional years where it doesn’t hit 700mm in a whole calendar year

Didn't look at the other months but July is the warmest month in both counties and the July average is slightly higher in Cork. But yeah it basically rains twice as much in Cork as Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Hasn't been a bad summer at all in Wexford and has actually been quite nice. A cloudy day here and there and a bit of rain but no long overcast spells or long spells of rain. Long may it continue

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shepards Delight

A chilly
    Mount Dullon some might call it or Mount Dillon

13c temp feels like 8c or less in a brisk
    Northerly wind . Northerly wind in June to be expected I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

Dublin is like London, overall we definitely get better weather than the SW/W/NW but it's still relatively $hit.

On a good day I'd rather be on the west coast than Dublin.

London doesn’t get shit summers. I lived in England during summer 2010, a noted bad summer, and spent that summer looking on in envy at London. Even in that summer, it did very well indeed. In a normal to goodish summer for the rest of the country, London and the south east get fabulous weather generally. Fly over England any summer and you will see the grass turn greenish brown from London to the south east. That’ll be the warm to hot weather they routinely enjoy. Dublin can be in no way compared. Our summers are far more mediocre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Have to say that it has been quite a good June in southern Laois. Very little rain fell this month so far, just 9.7mm and barring a stray shower over the next 24hrs that looks game set and match for the month.

Temperatures have been above average by around 0.8c with afternoons generally milder but a few cool/cold nights pegging down the average.

Warmest day was 26.0c (so far) on June 13th and the coldest night has been 2.8c on June 18th (followed closely by 2.9c on June 22nd). Both nights also gave a grass frost with -1.1c and -0.8c recorded respectively.

Sunshine seems to have been quite a bit above average with very few totally overcast days, though I have no method of sunshine recording owing to being on the east side of a village that rises to my south.

The wind also seems to have been gentler than recent June's.

The lack of thunder brings this June's scorecard down from an "8" to a "7" out of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

London doesn’t get shit summers. I lived in England during summer 2010, a noted bad summer, and spent that summer looking on in envy at London. Even in that summer, it did very well indeed. In a normal to goodish summer for the rest of the country, London and the south east get fabulous weather generally. Fly over England any summer and you will see the grass turn greenish brown from London to the south east. That’ll be the warm to hot weather they routinely enjoy. Dublin can be in no way compared. Our summers are far more mediocre.

Dublin is probably better compared to Southampton than London despite the latter two only being 75 miles apart.

Southampton is close enough to France to tap into some continental feed, but close enough to the Atlantic to keep that feed moderated somewhat.
    Dublin has the mountains to her south to give fohn effects and a rain-shadow.

Think this map best illustrates the climate regions of these islands:

uk_zonemap.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I still feel like we haven't had a good proper summery spell here in Dublin yet (and the rest of Ireland) even thought the month has been decent overall. I feel like most years we get a few days or a week of 20s temps and unbroken sun and it's usually in June, but memory seems to do strange things when it comes to weather. Hope it happens sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭sporina

woo hoo - no rain here in Cork City today - twas "fresh" though.. some sun at random intervals - mostly overcast though - but at least it didn't rain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I still feel like we haven't had a good proper summery spell here in Dublin yet (and the rest of Ireland) even thought the month has been decent overall. I feel like most years we get a few days or a week of 20s temps and unbroken sun and it's usually in June, but memory seems to do strange things when it comes to weather. Hope it happens sooner or later.

What does summery mean? Summer according to what country? Dublin and the east has had a very good June so far, at least up to a couple of days ago. Less than 1 mm of rain in 3 weeks, above average sunshine, decent temperatures...

When we think of "summer", is it an Irish summer? An average Irish summer is a mixed bag, which is what we've had in the east. A good spell, now a bit of a blip the past couple of days, but looking decent again next week. I'll take that any day. We're not the Med, or indeed northern France. We are where we are and our summers are what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I was down on the Dingle Peninsula for the past week and the weather was what I'd expect to see in March or April. It was low to mid teens in temperature and every day except for one of the 7 there was a decent spell of rain or mist. Meanwhile it was sunny and warm for the majority of the time on the east coast. As great as Kerry is, I couldn't deal with that on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I was down on the Dingle Peninsula for the past week and the weather was what I'd expect to see in March or April. It was low to mid teens in temperature and every day except for one of the 7 there was a decent spell of rain or mist. Meanwhile it was sunny and warm for the majority of the time on the east coast. As great as Kerry is, I couldn't deal with that on a regular basis.

I think for a lot of people its a case that they're happy enough with what they're used to.

e.g. most people in the west are content enough with the odd week of good weather throughout the year while east coasters think that's impossible to deal with. Similarly someone from London would probably find the east coast's climate a bit depressing, someone from Paris would find London unbearable and someone from Seville would find Paris a bit crap.

Unfortunately for me I got a taste of much better climates after spending a good few years abroad after the financial crash so Donegal summers are pretty much unbearable for me now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭compsys

pauldry wrote: »
    It actually has and Casement 31c according to Met Eireanns website

Dublin Airports highest ever June temperature is 25.7c

Thats shocking.

Id much rather live in the West.

Why?

The scenery in the West is stunning. But I couldn’t stand living there weather wise.

The West is cloudier, wetter and cooler than the East. That’s a simple fact. You only need to read the posts on here to see that. And it’s backed up by the stats.

Yes the odd day once each summer is hotter than the East but it’s the longer-term weather that counts.

It’s literally rained three days in Dublin this June where it’s been raining almost every day in parts of the West it would seem.

London summers are better than Dublin but are still over rated. They do very well during heat waves but they get plenty of rain. You just need to look at Wimbledon every year mid summer, they are plagued with rain delays, even the last two weeks at queens and Eastbourne they have had loads of tennis delayed because of constant rain delays. This coming week is also a classic example with rain showers expected until Friday . Do London get good summers, I would say decent summers but they are far from reliable. I always say you need to draw a line from Paris and south of that if you want good summers every year.

Have to disagree, June has delivered in spades in Dublin. 3 days with rain out of nearly 30 and only one of those days was meaningful rain that produced anything noticeable on the ground. We had plenty of beautiful blue skies days, plenty of days in the 20s and had the bbq out almost every evening and the coming week looks super dry too with some sunshine and low 20s. I would consider that a very good June

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

I can’t comment on Dublin’s weather as I haven’t been there in over a year now. I can comment on my local weather which is cloudy breezy and slightly cool again today. Monday was a nice day here from 1 pm on. Tuesday morning was nice the rest of the week has been a mixture of overcast drizzly at times breezy weather and yesterday felt cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Have to disagree, June has delivered in spades in Dublin. 3 days with rain out of nearly 30 and only one of those days was meaningful rain that produced anything noticeable on the ground. We had plenty of beautiful blue skies days, plenty of days in the 20s and had the bbq out almost every evening and the coming week looks super dry too with some sunshine and low 20s. I would consider that a very good June

I agree. It really has been a fantastic June here in Dublin. Not sure why the poster above doesn't think it hasn't. Last few days have been quite dreary but hopefully that ends from Sunday. In any case we really needed some rain here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭sporina

its actually cold here in Cork City.. no rain but grey and COLD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

sporina wrote: »
    its actually cold here in Cork City.. no rain but grey and COLD.

Same here. People sitting “outdoors” making the best of it and it’s bloody cold. No thanks.

Advertisement