Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employers struggling to fill positions with hundreds of thousands unemployed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,377 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Cordell wrote: »
    I'm not saying it's not real, but begrudging others is not a political stance and definitely not a right wing one.

Are you really looking for a genuine political and evidence-based debate on Current Affairs/ IMHO?

Current Affairs/IMHO is a mixture of the type the shout 'I pay your wages at public servents' and 'I overheard in the pub' as fact.

There are a few exceptions though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Cordell

Well, I know perfectly well where I'm at, but that will not stop me for defending right wing politics, because somehow it became an undesirable position to hold and even something people became concerned to speak about. Even in environments like MNCs it's now dangerous to be openly right wing or conservative, which it must be the ultimate irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Apologies, I got a little carried away with other outlandish and ill informed commentary.

Your fine mate no apology needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Boards dot ie proved that for me within hours of creating a username :)

I think if so many of us, most of us, weren't so unhappy with our jobs due to either stress or low pay or most cases both, we really wouldn't care a jot about anyone who doesn't want to work.

The only reason people hate the dolies is they hate their jobs and want everyone to share that misery, it chaps their arse to think someone can escape it. They may say it's because their tax funds it but that is a useless argument really, if the dole was abolished the money they take off us worker bees would go to something else that likely would not benefit us, the government are hardly going to put it back into our wage packets.

I hope covid causes a workers revolution. Many of us work too much for too little and have no time for ourselves or family, and if you're stuck in retail or service industry you often end up not only with low wages but tyrannical managers on a power trip who nitpick and degrade their workers. And a lot of office workers don't want to go back to dealing with the politics and cliques.

We put up with all this to make someone else rich. I've worked throughout the pandemic because what we sell is deemed essential. I havent had a break at all, in fact being one of the few places open has meant we are busier than ever. We should be emergency only but we are not, I serve probably 20 people a day in close proximity. The company CEO is a British billionaire.

I may be jealous of those getting 350 a week to stay home but I don't begrudge them it. I'd be a right dope if I couldn't figure out it's the British billionaire that should be ashamed for making their workers risk their health while they stay home, and also using state funding when they could pay us to stay home themselves.

Good post i agree with what you have to say.

The work force-employee create make the wealth.
    The employer controls the wealth.

It is not easy to get those who control the wealth to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well, I know perfectly well where I'm at, but that will not stop me for defending right wing politics, because somehow it became an undesirable position to hold and even something people became concerned to speak about. Even in environments like MNCs it's now dangerous to be openly right wing or conservative, which it must be the ultimate irony.

Isn't that then a fault of conservatives for allowing the term right wing to mean something entirely different. By you actually saying you are right wing you are providing people with various connections about your believe systems.

That's not the fault of others nor is it the fault of MNCs so don't blame others for the failures of your political beliefs. If you can't keep Nazis in a cage then you'll be associated with them so to speak.

• Advertisement

mick087 wrote: »
    Good post i agree with what you have to say.

The work force-employee create make the wealth.
    The employer controls the wealth.

It is not easy to get those who control the wealth to share.

Oh shur it it.
    Take the wealth from the ones that control it and give it over to the ones that create it.
    It has been done multiple times throughout history, it failed each and every time, but that's no reason to keep trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I'm in tech, and most companies are also struggling to fill roles. Even with decent pay and benefits, it's hard to find people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

If employers can't hire people, maybe they need to pay people better, and have better conditions.

Also, we are still in a pandemic, and understandably, some people are not willing to risk their lives for minimum wage, or even a lot more than that. Some people won't feel comfortable returning to work, until they are vaccinated, and that is perfectly reasonable imo.

Looks like the issue is employers being far to cheap to pay enough to attract people to work for them.

listermint wrote: »
    Isn't that then a fault of conservatives for allowing the term right wing to mean something entirely different. By you actually saying you are right wing you are providing people with various connections about your believe systems.

That's not the fault of others nor is it the fault of MNCs so don't blame others for the failures of your political beliefs. If you can't keep Nazis in a cage then you'll be associated with them so to speak.

I'm not proper right wing, I have right wing views on some issues and left wing views on others.

Why are you bringing in Nazis? Nazis are far right which has more in common with far left than with the normal moderate right and conservatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Oh shur it it.
    Take the wealth from the ones that control it and give it over to the ones that create it.
    It has been done multiple times throughout history, it failed each and every time, but that's no reason to keep trying.

Share the wealth to the work force who create it yes.

Maybe it was not the idea that failed but the individuals who tried this system throughout history that failed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm in tech, and most companies are also struggling to fill roles. Even with decent pay and benefits, it's hard to find people.
    The problem in tech is that the skills shortage has been massively compounded by foreign workers going home (understandably), and by the expansion of the big players; Amazon in particular. People are willing to move jobs, but only to employers that they're confident will weather the pandemic.
    I’m a bit confused - I thought PUP was specific payments for a specific job with a specific employer during the time the business was unviable or had to be shut. Surely when the company is open again revenue is advised and the employee cannot continue to claim the pup if s/he is wanted/needed back in work? Wasn’t it designed to keep jobs ‘there’ and retain people ‘in’ them until the job or company re-opened?
    That's the ideal. But if you remember the furore last year about people's PUP being stopped because they went on holiday? The DSP confirmed that people on PUP were supposed to be job hunting, not "sitting at home". Employers loved this because it gave them an out - they didn't have to pay redundancy as employees were obliged to go find work elsewhere.
    Chickens coming home to roost now though.

It says everything we need to know about the state of the lower-paid jobs when 300/350 a week is preferable to going back to work.
    mick087 wrote: »
    Maybe it was not the idea that failed but the individuals who tried this system throughout history that failed.
    "It keeps failing" is a fallacy put forward by die-hard capitalists. It presumes that capitalism hasn't also failed multiple times throughout history.

wes wrote: »
    If employers can't hire people, maybe they need to pay people better, and have better conditions.

Also, we are still in a pandemic, and understandably, some people are not willing to risk their lives for minimum wage, or even a lot more than that. Some people won't feel comfortable returning to work, until they are vaccinated, and that is perfectly reasonable imo.

Looks like the issue is employers being far to cheap to pay enough to attract people to work for them.

How does paying more make more Software Developers it doesn't pay more is a lazy answer? everyone will be vaccinated fair soon so there will be no safety issue going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Wasn’t PUP paid into bank accounts? To cut down on physical contact?

PUP is paid into bank /Credit union account etc however you could originally choose post office for collection, I can't be sure if this is still the case.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

This is always sung by rote in tech firms. But basically if you read between the lines, it reads "We want to offshore to take advantage of Globalism and pay fluctuations. But it's not us it's you!"
    It might make more sense to not retire people when they hit 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'm not proper right wing, I have right wing views on some issues and left wing views on others.

Why are you bringing in Nazis? Nazis are far right which has more in common with far left than with the normal moderate right and conservatives.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate then to say you have conservative views then than right wing ? Or have more social views on other subjects.

It's not me saying Nazis as such. I'm saying the terminology has been lost to extremes. Sometimes I think people use it on purpose for the windup as they are aware of the connotations

listermint wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be more appropriate then to say you have conservative views then than right wing ? Or have more social views on other subjects.

Conservatives are right wing, it's appropriate to use any and there is nothing wrong with being a right wing / conservative, which basically means a person that values personal freedoms responsibility and not someone who wants to hang the poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

right wing / conservative, which basically means a person that values personal freedoms responsibility
    Conservative means someone who favours traditional values and changing things (economic/social) slowly and cautiously.

That doesn't mean they don't value personal freedoms, but in general traditional values and personal freedoms are at opposite ends of the spectrum: doing things a certain way -v- doing things your own way.

Yes, you are right, but I was saying in the context of this thread. Conservatives are not hating the poor and welfare dependents, they just don't really appreciate being the ones that pay for them AND being hated because they are in a position to be able to pay for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

mariaalice wrote: »
    How does paying more make more Software Developers it doesn't pay more is a lazy answer?

It isn't just software developers we are talking about btw.

Also, if you pay enough and have better conditions, you will be able to get as many software devs as you need. Capitalism, it goes both ways. If you are unwilling to pay the price needed, or not willing to hire people who don't fit reqs and train them, then you are **** out of luck.

If you can't afford to pay people, then maybe your business should go under. I see no reason for welfare for the rich.
    everyone will be vaccinated fair soon so there will be no safety issue going to work.

Sure its May, so they can wait till August/September, but if people are unwilling to work for a pittance, then they need to pay more. If they can't afford to pay staff a living wage, then their business deservers to fail, again Capitalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Two problems - one, that a lot of retail & service industry jobs pay crap.
    Two, that there is a certain level of income that once you reach it you probably wont be that fussed to earn more. You are content to just keep existing. Not everyone is some kind of money-crazed sociopath who will keep working to hoard as much money as possible.

For many people, retail jobs pay **** and arent worth the hassle anymore.
    For others, the PUP is enough for them to be relatively comfortable and working for not much more doesnt appeal (why would it?)

In both cases PUP will be wound down sooner rather than later because we cant afford it so these people will be back to work whether they like it or not.

• Advertisement

timmyntc wrote: »
    Two problems - one, that a lot of retail & service industry jobs pay crap.
    Two, that there is a certain level of income that once you reach it you probably wont be that fussed to earn more. You are content to just keep existing. Not everyone is some kind of money-crazed sociopath who will keep working to hoard as much money as possible.

For many people, retail jobs pay **** and arent worth the hassle anymore.
    For others, the PUP is enough for them to be relatively comfortable and working for not much more doesnt appeal (why would it?)

In both cases PUP will be wound down sooner rather than later because we cant afford it so these people will be back to work whether they like it or not.

Also, Ireland has become a wealthy country and moved up the food chain.

In a work situation, I let eastern europens in to do a very psychically hard dirty cleaning job, its down to better paying better-qualified jobs being available so the less attractive jobs are done by less educated less well of eastern europens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

Iv heard the government ad regarding canceling your pup claim at least 5 times already today on the radio.

It's 1136 am

Oh shur it it.

Hardly multiple times. It’s really just in the 20C.

Pay more.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

Country is broke, once we drop the PUP there will be enough people looking to work these roles.
    With retail back in a week the Government should be announcing a staged reduction/ending of PUP.

A lot of retail jobs would have/are been part time so of course it will be mad (financially) for people to give up 350 a week to go back to part time working (some can only do part time for whatever reason). Before anyone says it, I know only 50% of recipients are on the 350.

The PUP now should wind down and a separate hospitality industry welfare brought in based on a percentage of last salary, that should be the only area going forward ever closing/operating with restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

There may be a large percentage of that number who wouldn't be comfortable going back to work yet for fear of getting the virus and spreading it in their household. As the vaccination rolls out people will be more happy to get back into the workplace. After scaring people off of seeing their families you cant blame them for not braving the same dangers for a minimum waged job.

EddieN75 wrote: »
    Guilting the working class back to their stations so the multinational staff and public sector workers who never lost a cent throughout the past year can buy shiny things.

Moe from the Simpsons: "Ah, Public Sector workers!!!!!...........I knew it was their fault, even when it was the bears I knew it was them!"

The mental gymnastics involved at laying the ills of the private sector at the feet of the people who've been keeping the lights on all this time is astonishing. If they weren't spending money in private businesses and generating profits and taxes, I suppose that'd be on their heads as well, yeah?

Here's a nice easy website that can help you and the rest of the "I'm-very-balanced-I've-a-chip-on-both-shoulders" brigade: https://www.publicjobs.ie/

They've only been hiring for the past 7 years :rolleyes:

Moe from the Simpsons: "Ah, Public Sector workers!!!!!...........I knew it was their fault, even when it was the bears I knew it was them!"

The mental gymnastics involved at laying the ills of the private sector at the feet of the people who've been keeping the lights on all this time is astonishing. If they weren't spending money in private businesses and generating profits and taxes, I suppose that'd be on their heads as well, yeah?

Here's a nice easy website that can help you and the rest of the "I'm-very-balanced-I've-a-chip-on-both-shoulders" brigade: https://www.publicjobs.ie/

They've only been hiring for the past 7 years :rolleyes:

In fairness, they did say the multinationals as well so it is more the permanent and pensionable and the employees of the well-paid multinational verse the rest.

In fairness, they did say the multinationals as well so it is more the permanent and pensionable and the employees of the well-paid multinational verse the rest.

Equally, how is it the fault of the MNCs? You could copy and paste them into my last post in place of public sector workers and it would still be true. Some poeple just wanna have a go, no matter what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 PeterGol

Yeah, €500 a week, what's your exact problem with that ?

Advertisement