Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employers struggling to fill positions with hundreds of thousands unemployed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,963 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I have no idea if it's accurate. But I believe it's BS.

This is not the first time Dundrum shopping centre making these absurd claims and they are absolute nonsense, of more concern to the Centre is the €millions owed in rent and good luck with that. They couldn't give a flying S**** about staff laid off when it suited

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

I rang on Wednesday and was told there was a 3 week delay due to large numbers. Hopefully your 1 week is right.

I'm pretty sure I'm right but might be worth confirming this if you have a mygov account, you can do a query and they are quick to respond.

I rang on Wednesday and was told there was a 3 week delay due to large numbers. Hopefully your 1 week is right.

Just to be clear, week one as in for taxation purposes, just wanted to make sure I clarified that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭malinheader

Dempo1 wrote: »
    This is not the first time Dundrum shopping centre making these absurd claims and they are absolute nonsense, of more concern to the Centre is the €millions owed in rent and good luck with that. They couldn't give a flying S**** about staff laid off when it suited

I think the man on Rte1 was something to do with seasonal fruit or vegetable picking. He stated the shortage of workers was like a famine. Also said Irish people do not want these jobs. Simple truth of the matter is you would be worse off than if you were on social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I imagine everyone will be on a ‘week1’ basis for the rest of the year,. Revenue protecting themselves, and who can blame( my better half works in a school and was only on Pup for 4 weeks, but normally doesn’t get paid during the school breaks, when she claims JSB of €203 a week. The revenue increased her credits to €70 a week ( by decreasing mine) and applied week1. Overkill, but its money in the bank. I got a refund for both 2019 and 2020.

• Advertisement

I think the man on Rte1 was something to do with seasonal fruit or vegetable picking. He stated the shortage of workers was like a famine. Also said Irish people do not want these jobs. Simple truth of the matter is you would be worse off than if you were on social welfare.

Would this be the same chap who buses in 100"s of migrant workers in annually? All of whom are put up in shack type accommodation and all of whom work for agencies NOT registered in the state and adhere to nothing, especially Irelands labour laws??

There's many many reasons why people don't want these jobs and one of them not being better off on SW

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Would this be the same chap who buses in 100"s of migrant workers in annually? All of whom are put up in shack type accommodation and all of whom work for agencies NOT registered in the state and adhere to nothing, especially Irelands labour laws??

There's many many reasons why people don't want these jobs and one of them not being better off on SW

Suspect a month in the 'Joy would be easier than working for that guy,

He was also bemoaning the lack of students wanting to run his roadside fruit stalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

IngazZagni wrote: »
    I'm currently on the PUP. Have only been so for a few weeks now. I'm hopeful that I will return to my job in a few weeks. I could get a temporary job but because of my expected income for the year I'd be paying effectively a 50% rate of tax on everything I earn which means I'd definitely be worse off than if I just stayed on the PUP for the time being.
    High rates of income tax in this Country discourages hard work.

How does this work? You pay tax at the rate so far this year and for you to pay an effective rate of 50% you would have to bring home thousands a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bluenose1956

jrosen wrote: »
    Even though they said one week in my head I was thinking it could be more.

I only had a short time on PUP but when I returned to work our wages people told me I had no tax credits, I phoned Revenue and they corrected everything while I was on the telephone. First class service on that occasion.

• Advertisement

Vestiapx wrote: »
    How does this work? You pay tax at the rate so far this year and for you to pay an effective rate of 50% you would have to bring home thousands a week?

Have to agree, I don't believe anyone on PUP, especially those on it for a very short time would pay anywhere near 50% tax rate. At most a person getting €350 pw week might have a liability of around €40 and a lot less if a person on €300 pup and almost nothing on €250 pup payment.

He was also bemoaning the lack of students wanting to run his roadside fruit stalls.

A complete Guttersnipe and most sensible people see through his S****talk, just amazed Journalists still entertaining his nonsense albeit anything for a soundbite I guess :)

On full PUP of €350 a week your tax liability is €70 less credits ( assuming 20% tax on the full €350)

joeysoap wrote: »
    On full PUP of €350 a week your tax liability is €70 less credits ( assuming 20% tax on the full €350)

That's it, wasn't quite sure of the breakdown, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭doc22

joeysoap wrote: »

credits taking the liability close to zero......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Sorry , I haven't read the thread and I'm sure this may already be covered.

You are entitled to the PUP when you employer puts you on temporary leave due to covid?

When the same employer, request you to resume your employment, you no longer qualify for PUP?

if you refuse to return to work, does you employment with this employer cease?

Should you now only be entitled to JSA?

Can an employer leave staff permanently go, if they themselves and not fully closing during covid?

Where a business has fully closed, and staff are redundant, do they get reduncy and PUP?

When does PUP end for people with no previous job to return too?

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

I
    Probably why Rte1 radio this morning interviewing employers who can't get staff.
    They stated that alot of shops in Dundrum shopping centre couldn't open because of shortage of staff. Anyone know if this is accurate.

I remember going to Dundrum just before caronavirus hit. I couldn't believe how much staff the shops had. All standing around talking to each other. Maybe they could try opening with less staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Employers need to pay people properly, and at a bare minimum a living wage. When, an employer doesn't pay a living wage, the rest of us have to make up for it. A lot of social welfare is imo corporate welfare. If a business is costing the tax payer money, it should be allowed to fail. Not up to us to prop up a failed business and put tax payer money into the hands of the rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭head82

ForestFire wrote: »
    Sorry , I haven't read the thread and I'm sure this may already be covered.

You are entitled to the PUP when you employer puts you on temporary leave due to covid?

When the same employer, request you to resume your employment, you no longer qualify for PUP?

if you refuse to return to work, does you employment with this employer cease?

Should you now only be entitled to JSA?

Can an employer leave staff permanently go, if they themselves and not fully closing during covid?

Where a business has fully closed, and staff are redundant, do they get reduncy and PUP?

When does PUP end for people with no previous job to return too?

I'm not an expert on this and no doubt there are those better informed than myself to put you straight on your queries but as some of your questions are of concern to myself, here's what I've learned so far:

Yes, you are entitled to PUP when you're employer puts you on TEMPORARY leave due to Covid.

If requested to return to work and refuse, YES.. you can lose your PUP entitlement and be potentially reduced to JSA/JSB.
    However, this may be conditional on whether the request to return is based on your prior full time/contractual agreement.
    ie. if you're asked to return on reduced hours/wage.. it's possible you can refuse without PUP being affected but this hasn't been clarified.

Your employer can let staff permanently go.. regardless of Covid.. but will be subject to Statutory redundancy regulations.

If you are made redundant by your employer, you no longer qualify for PUP. So you will be dropped to JSB.

If you've no job to return to as a result of Covid, you will most likely receive PUP till it's due to cease. Currently end of June. But there's talk of a phased wind down for those in that position. Could last an extra month or so.

doc22 wrote: »
    credits taking the liability close to zero......

Yes and no.

A married couple can split them as it suits, a single person with basic credits- yes. That’s why revenue apply week1 .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

wes wrote: »
    Employers need to pay people properly, and at a bare minimum a living wage. When, an employer doesn't pay a living wage, the rest of us have to make up for it. A lot of social welfare is imo corporate welfare. If a business is costing the tax payer money, it should be allowed to fail. Not up to us to prop up a failed business and put tax payer money into the hands of the rich.
    Agreed. A man with mortgage, and kids, who spent 3 years in college recently, was offered 20k for full time work. He declined and asked them did they really think that was appropriate. That was the reason the wage was not advertised. That is 384 euro a week. So much for an electronics company in Tallaght.

Agreed. A man with mortgage, and kids, who spent 3 years in college recently, was offered 20k for full time work. He declined and asked them did they really think that was appropriate. That was the reason the wage was not advertised. That is 384 euro a week. So much for an electronics company in Tallaght.

If that was for a full time 39 or 40 hour week, then it’s below minimum wage. Therefore, I call shenanigans on your post.

If that was for a full time 39 or 40 hour week, then it’s below minimum wage. Therefore, I call shenanigans on your post.
    Call away......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,649 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

It's highly possibly

I've heard of a construction company in Kildare offering 23k a year to New Graduates, they don't have to abide by any minimum wage standards because it's a "graduate program"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

It's highly possibly

I've heard of a construction company in Kildare offering 23k a year to New Graduates, they don't have to abide by any minimum wage standards because it's a "graduate program"

There used to be trainee rates, but we're abolished a few years back.

Phoebas wrote: »
    There used to be trainee rates, but we're abolished a few years back.

I could be wrong but I understood apprenticeships exempt from minimum wage rules /guidelines, obviously the apprenticeship has to be a recognisable trade, qualification, training program? I'm Open to correction.

God, I still remember my first payslip over 30 years ago 50 irish punts for 65 hour week (trainee chef)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I could be wrong but I understood apprenticeships exempt from minimum wage rules /guidelines, obviously the apprenticeship has to be a recognisable trade, qualification, training program? I'm Open to correction.

God, I still remember my first payslip over 30 years ago 50 irish punts for 65 hour week (trainee chef)

There is still an exception for apprenticeships, but they need to be recognised apprenticeships defined by legislation.

I don't think that applies here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Interesting times ahead, perhaps.

In the hotzones such as Dublin, it honestly makes no sense to live there unless you're getting very good money without owning a home, or you own a home.

Surely there is a very significant cohort that are quite literally working to pay the rent and little else.

The penny will have dropped for many during this pandemic, a revaluation of where they're going.

Work from home is a very real prospect that potentially allows some to escape the work/cost trap, but beware the ramifications of that too; if a company realised that they no longer need people in a building, then how long until they realise they don't need people in this country at all?

Gradius wrote: »
    Interesting times ahead, perhaps.

In the hotzones such as Dublin, it honestly makes no sense to live there unless you're getting very good money without owning a home, or you own a home.

Surely there is a very significant cohort that are quite literally working to pay the rent and little else.

The penny will have dropped for many during this pandemic, a revaluation of where they're going.

Work from home is a very real prospect that potentially allows some to escape the work/cost trap, but beware the ramifications of that too; if a company realised that they no longer need people in a building, then how long until they realise they don't need people in this country at all?
    That is a very thought provoking post. Social welfare are trying to push people into menial jobs, CE schemes and the like on the basis that some work is better than no work. FIS and other allowances are an attempt to boost pay for people not getting properly paid by employers. As someone else on this thread said, it is not right that low pay is being topped up by the tax payments of others, just so people can live. The companies that cannot or will not pay a proper wage, should not be subsidised by the public purse and should be allowed to fail.
    The black economy is booming with people doing nixers and it appears I am a fool for trying to do things properly. As someone said to me yesterday, I work in that place as I get cash, otherwise it would not be worth my while working. Dominoes pizza were hauled before the courts for misclassifying workers as self employed to dodge their liabilities, they cut corners, expanded and got really big quite quickly. All at the expense of the taxman and drivers. https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/domino-s-pizza-drivers-must-be-treated-as-paye-workers-franchisee-told-1.4121699
    It needs to stop, but somehow, I doubt it will.

I have direct experience of sign this, say nothing. Then when you do something you have to explain why you did it. When pointed out it was in writing on the wall in a policies and procedures document, I was then told no thats wrong but it is official company policy. The amount of hypocrisy is breath taking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I know hotels are bringing in staff from abroad.

Advertisement