Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employers struggling to fill positions with hundreds of thousands unemployed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭Allinall

I would bet good money that there won’t be one business that won’t re-open because they can’t get staff.

These problems seem to miraculously disappear when they realise that their whining won’t get them any more sympathy or hand outs.

Normal service will indeed be resumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Employers struggling to fill many positions with hundreds of thousands unemployed. E350 a week for many to sit on their ass or work for slightly more, if full time on minimum wage... More genius from FG, who could have foreseen such issues? Any way, take the system for all its worth lads, if you are on PUP, you have at least worked and it wont last forever. There are tens of thousands here, who live off you and I from cradle to grave! luxury apartments, medical card, welfare bonuses, few hundred euro a week cash etc... the more you take, the less that is wasted on wasters! remember that!

there needs to be a proper pay related social insurance scheme introduced, time limited, based on what you paid in and possibly, that you start paying some of it back, when re-employed...

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/you-cant-blame-them-for-taking-other-jobs-hope-of-long-retail-hours-under-threat-as-employers-struggle-to-recruit-staff-40400535.html

Read that offensive article and the additional PUP bashing tripe asking has the PUP payment turned people into Netflix Couch potatoes. The Indo has steeped to new depths of Gutter journalism.

Not a mention of Staff dropped like bad habits when the pandemic started.

Not a whisper about Government policy that forced people out of their Jobs.

Not a mention about zero hour contracts, shocking wages etc.

Not a word about the clear fact that only 48% of pup recipients actually get €350 per week, the remainder on far less.

Now these employers are reopening the need for their staff has returned. Curious the timing of these and other articles demonising PUP recepients when government looking at ways of tappering or ending the scheme.

Will there be as much concern when in a few months, these concerned Tenants at Dundrum Shopping centre have knocks on their doors looking for substantial rents owed? I think not.

Anyone who thinks all these salons, retail stores, restaurants, Tenants, small businesses are magically going to reopen and trade as if nothing happened are sadly deluded, there'll be a few weeks of the awful phrase "pent up demand", business supports end and then the fun starts, Back Rent, Supplier debts, Bank Debts, there's going to be a collapse like no other.

I've no doubt there may be some on PUP milking it but refuse to believe there's a sudden lack of people seeking to return to work and I might add normality. The Department of SW has a dedicated hotline for employers who's employee"s refuse to return to work but worth pointing out the Department has on numerous occasions stated quite clearly there's little evidence to suggest widespread refusals to return to work and this from existing complaints/ Reports lodged by concerned employers.

We're all in this Together, My Hole

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Sure the PUP will be gone soon enough anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They should litterally stop paying pup to retail or others who should back to work from next week ,and if they still say no send them to claim jobseeker's .

Honestly how much money do people think shops should pay staff to fold clothes and sweep floors were talking about jobs that need no qualifications or is difficult to do ,
    Of course lets bump up minimum wage to €20 ph but that means everyone else is suddenly entitled to pay increases which would kill any hope of a recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

lawred2 wrote: »
    Sure the PUP will be gone soon enough anyway

Hopefully....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

Allinall wrote: »
    I would bet good money that there won’t be one business that won’t re-open because they can’t get staff.

These problems seem to miraculously disappear when they realise that their whining won’t get them any more sympathy or hand outs.

Normal service will indeed be resumed.

We'll see for how long though, say for an example a hotel has to increase wages to get staff back. They'll get away with it this summer as you can charge almost anything for a room this summer and it'll be sold out.
    Once the dust settles and pent up demand is satisfied the owner will still have to fork out higher wages. After the summer burst there will be a lot owners reassessing imo.

enricoh wrote: »
    We'll see for how long though, say for an example a cafe or hotel has to increase wages to get staff back. They'll get away with it this summer as you can charge almost anything for a room this summer and it'll be sold out.
    Once the dust settles and pent up demand is satisfied the owner will still have to fork out higher wages. After the summer burst there will be a lot owners reassessing imo.

That happens all the time with seasonal businesses, and did before Covid.

No business has a given right to carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

That happens all the time with seasonal businesses, and did before Covid.

No business has a given right to carry on.

Exactly, businesses know they’ll be busy so will need staff.

This results in a shortage of staff so wages rise in the short term.

Why is it ok for the hotels etc to increase their prices but not for the labour suppliers?

Marx God bless capitalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

This argument from business owners really annoys the **** out of me. I've been out work for a year (hospitality) I'm in my early 40's plenty of experience in retail also and I'm on job sites several times a day loads of applications and not a phone call even so how are they that stuck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

This argument from business owners really annoys the **** out of me. I've been out work for a year (hospitality) I'm in my early 40's plenty of experience in retail also and I'm on job sites several times a day loads of applications and not a phone call even so how are they that stuck?
    Have you tried electrical retailers? They are absolutely booming. Covid has been very profitable for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Is there really a huge amount of people who don’t want to return to work.
    At most they will try to milk it for as long as possible though and then return to work?
    As has been mentioned here already, these are people who have had a job not the permanently unemployed.
    There are a lot of people on all rates of PUP who cannot wait to get back to their jobs because they are bored out of their minds sitting at home.
    Another thing, social welfare do check up with employers. This happens when there are reopenings and they monitor the recruitment sites and see what companies are rehiring. Companies then get emails asking if (list of names provided)have been offered their jobs back and refused to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭malinheader

Perhaps if they bring in the 12 euro an hour living wage alot of people might be able to afford to go back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

The PUP may have created a living wage and if it was combined with rent price controls it would solve some basic social problems.

I know several people in the same boat.

The sums definitely don't add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    Is there really a huge amount of people who don’t want to return to work.
    At most they will try to milk it for as long as possible though and then return to work?
    As has been mentioned here already, these are people who have had a job not the permanently unemployed.
    There are a lot of people on all rates of PUP who cannot wait to get back to their jobs because they are bored out of their minds sitting at home.
    Another thing, social welfare do check up with employers. This happens when there are reopenings and they monitor the recruitment sites and see what companies are rehiring. Companies then get emails asking if (list of names provided)have been offered their jobs back and refused to return.

Anyone I know who has not been able to work during lockdown are absolutely dieing to get back to work, they are bored silly and need the income. Most I know like me who have been working from home are far less enthusiastic about returning to the office full time.

Exactly, makes my blood boil this blatant attempt at media and perhaps some on here to demonise those dropped like bad habits when it suited employers. The hospitality sector are quite adept at moaning a whinging and yet will avoid all talk of improved wages, conditions etc.

Ive spoken to a number of people who actually work in retail and in the Dundrum shopping centre and NOT ONE contacted by the very employers planning to reopen and the same employers moaning and whinging about staff alledgedly refusing to return to work. There's a lot of BS floating around.

I also know some hospitality staff laid off and again not a word from their "Concerned Employers" but yet very strangely same employers advertising with Vulture recruitment firms, WTF is going on here? Cheaper staff, worse conditions???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

Guilting the working class back to their stations so the multinational staff and public sector workers who never lost a cent throughout the past year can buy shiny things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I know several people in the same boat.

The sums definitely don't add up.
    The other thing that's annoying which I forgot to put in my last post is not all of us on the PUP are sitting back just happy to take the money. There are some I'm sure but not everyone and the non stop comments from people and in the media saying lazy ****ers is really frustrating sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Who is funding the PUP that they're getting? And aren't multinational staff and public sector workers also working class?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Cordell

PUP is funded by the money out of the money tree of course, not from taxes collected from those who allegedly "never lost a cent".

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

It is, I suppose predictable on here that employers are always seen as fat cat capitalists. In my town alone many people who have small businesses will not be able to reopen and are looking for jobs

EddieN75 wrote: »
    Guilting the working class back to their stations so the multinational staff and public sector workers who never lost a cent throughout the past year can buy shiny things.

How are they working class if they won’t work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

Who is finding the PUP that they're getting? And aren't multinational staff and public sector workers also working class?

European money markets

No they are not

Insolvency expert on Radio 1 predicting 2.5 to 5,000 insolvencies coming, enormous Rental debt owed and of course Revenue waiting in the wings.

I predict alot of businesses will open, take advantage of a short term boom, get some cash in and cease trading within a short amount of time.

Just rents owed alone will make most small business unsustainable

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭head82

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Insolvency expert on Radio 1 predicting 2.5 to 5,000 insolvencies coming, enormous Rental debt owed and of course Revenue waiting in the wings.

I predict alot of businesses will open, take advantage of a short term boom, get some cash in and cease trading within a short amount of time.

Just rents owed alone will make most small business unsustainable

Not forgetting when the EWSS is wound down.
    A lot of employers have become used to having their wage bill subsidised to the tune of approx. 70%.
    Gonna be hard to let that go.
    Tends not to get as much coverage as PUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

How are they working class if they won’t work?

PUP recipients have jobs already. Their employers have just been shut down and will be open in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

With retail people are now buying online and will continue doing that. In my experience retail customers in the main have little fidelity when it comes to purchasing goods, some do but not the majority.
    Price and ease of access come first

Employers struggling to fill many positions with hundreds of thousands unemployed. E350 a week for many to sit on their ass or work for slightly more, if full time on minimum wage... More genius from FG, who could have foreseen such issues?

SF want to up it to €500 / week and continue it indefinitely, as do most of the "opposition".

• Advertisement

PUP recipients have jobs already. Their employers have just been shut down and will be open in the next few weeks.

Poster I quoted said “guilting the working class back to their stations”.

Implication being they don’t want to go back to work.

Hence not working class.

Advertisement