Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

It's a bit subjective really.

That's a funny price range in that you could probably spend 80-100 and get something as good as 100-130. I'd sooner get a cask strength Redbreast 12 than pay more for a 15 for example.

Some Bushmills special releases are worth looking at probably. JJ Corry's high end stuff is super.

Flagship stuff like Jameson 18 and Redbreast 21 are 200 plus however.

I've my samples boxed up but can't post till Thursday or Friday.

Notes are wrapped around the samples to be read (or not, as desired).

One 50ml and one 30ml. I'll say nothing else so as to preserve any blind tasting mystique.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I have chosen two whiskeys

One excellent traditional Irish pot still

One excellent single malt Irish aswell

I feel it's a perfect example of two pillar Irish whiskeys

One 46%

One cask strength

• Registered Users Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

My collection is mostly samples and miniatures! So that made it awkward. I picked two relative rarities that 'veteran' posters here may not have tasted, so there may be some curiosity value even if it doesn't inspire ye to buy a bottle.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Anyone tried the wdoconnell bill Phil?

I know I tried it but I can't remember 🤔🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

A couple of late entries has brought the number up to 15. Thanks to those who kindly agreed to change their match to accommodate. I think we are at our limit now logistically especially with postal dates etc.

I sent mine this morning. I have two matches to make up the numbers and I've gone for two cask strengths, a component sample and a bottle that's usually collected rather than opened. I was a bit unsure about the component sample but I think it's an interesting whiskey to try as it's local to one of my matches and can't be bought commercially.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Exciting news for all you Proper 12 fans...

@irish_goat you better not be sending samples out of that!

I guess Zaconey fans will be happy...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,794 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Ready 🙂

I hasten to add that A is a generous measure, rather than B being stingy 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

As of yesterday mine are on their way. I felt that my open bottles were a bit “ordinary” so it gave me the motivation to open one of my “good”bottles. The sort of bottle that I probably would hesitate to open for years otherwise. No bad thing.

Posted mine. Just FYI, An Post wanted €9 but it fit in a prepaid bag for €6

That is another layer of packing. I got paranoid about bottles breaking so went OTT. Apologies to whoever it is who'll have to waste hours trying to get in to the packet 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭flended12

This sampler festival looks great, look forward to reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Mine arrived at their destination today.

Posted mine today before lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭flended12

Ordered a bottle of Dead Rabbit from Irishmalts earlier.

Anyone tried same?

Fingers crossed it's a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

Two samples arrived! Looking forward to tasting them.

Thanks mystery poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Arrived today thanks Santa!

Mines was delivered yesterday according to reg post. Looking forward to Friday week!

Both of mine were delivered this morning. I've resisted the temptation to peek at the notes so far!

I'm thinking of having some whiskey tonight given the weather outside. Anybody doing the same?

• Advertisement

Tested positive for covid again today (mild enough symptoms) so medicinal hot whiskies for me tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Great! Yeah I put away the tasting notes going to go blind but was very tempted! I was at the Kinnegar Winterland Market today and it was a resounding success really busy! Having an old fashioned now and then I'm going to dip into their tap room only imperial brown ale can. And maybe by the end of the match have a wee Ardbeg or something similarly smokey to send me off to bed.

After a big dinner having a lazy approximation of an old fashioned as a digestif. Method Madness Single Grain, Powers Old Fashioned, with dash of classic coke.

Will have something hot later but havent figured out what yet..

The Redbreast bird feeder is back. Not convinced by the red though (the copper one in my garden still looks great!)

Finished off a bottle of Talisker 10 last night.

Time to open a Christmas bottle this week I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭adaminho

So I had some hot whiskey last night. Jameson, hot water, bit of honey, very nice.

Texted a mate, he asked if I'd put a tea bag in it. I thought he was messing but, googling it, it seems like this is a thing. Anyone tried it? Might have to tonight, but I'm very sceptical

No I haven't tried it but my brother swears by a hot Red lemonade and lemsip with whiskey for a flu!

Edit. Simmer Red Lemonade on the hob, add Honey to a pre warmed glass, mix lemsip and and lemonade in the glass and add whiskey. Works great with spiced rum also. Lemon and clove on top.

You can do something similar with cider :)

Non alcoholic cider might work too like Stonewell.

I remember going to a Roe and Co event this time of year when they were first launching and the welcome drink was a hot mulled cider with Roe and Co base.

• Advertisement

Funnily enough I was out before the Munster match and Bulmers had a mulled cider promotion on.

Advertisement