Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Haha amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭embraer170

I am very new to whiskey but really really enjoying a bottle of Writers Tears these days.

Tried a West Cork bog oak charred cask and enjoyed it a bit less. On my list for the coming weeks (recommended by a friend) is a Tullamore Dew 13 years Rouge, Dubliner 10 year, and a Teufelswhiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Sounds like your journey is already well underway!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Is there a way to purchase whiskey from England or Scotland and have it delivered here reasonable price

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The only legal way is if you accompany the product yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Friday night treats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Just received a bottle of 21 year old Teelings rising single malt limited edition.

Fabulous presentation box - anyone tried it here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

Christmas present to myself has arrived from Finedrams. I have tasted the Compass Box Artist Blend before and liked it. I’ve never had a Mortlach so interested to see how i fare with that.

The Signatory Ben Nevis purchase was prompted by a sample of Ben Nevis 10yo that I had and jaysus it was something different. It had some boladh on it - cabbage and Brussels sprouts, sulphur, lighter fuel and singed Styrofoam too. The taste was a world apart and reminded me of a Springbank. A real Edward Scissorhands whisky: off-putting and bizarre initially but it later reveals sweet hidden depths. So, looking forward to seeing if this IB holds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Sticking with pre-Christmas drams (for me, not daily sippers, not insanely old or difficult to get again), and I have to say, Fercullen 8 is a decent drop. I have plenty of others lined up for the landmark day and wasn't expecting too much from this one, but a very pleasant dram.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Just got the Lidl / Dundalgan / West Cork 5x50ml gift set . It’s €20 and if you’re tempted I’d urge you not to . Their spirit is not maturing well at all in my opinion :-(

• Advertisement

Redbreast Christmas edition.

An exceptionally good whisky that's drinkable with no added water even at the high ABV.

I think it's different enough to the core range that it should please those who were concerned it would be anticlimactic. A step up from all but the older age statements too, I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Oooo very nice. I wonder will they ever release this more widely or will it remain a once off barrel club exclusive.

I was tempted a couple of times with this but I've never been impressed with anything they have done. A very poor man's Cooley or Great Northern.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,936 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I was tempted but I find their output to be more miss than hit.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

And the Cooley/Northern Distillery stuff was grand :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭flended12

Was gifted a bottle of Natterjack Whiskey, anyone every had it before?

Yes, quite liked it. Virgin oak finish, it's very clean. I think there's some bourbon style element to the makeup as well that sets it apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Got my hands on a Púca Single Grain in Aldi today for my father in law. He likes lighter whiskies so though that would be a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 HenryCase

Opened a Paul John Oloroso for Christmas Day. I tried this at a tasting a year ago and loved it. Been looking forward to opening but not that impressed. Will have another dram later and might leave it for a while, maybe needs time to open up

I had a sample of that lately and it was super... Hope you are happier with it down the line.

Gifted a Lagavulin special release for 2022 today... "flames of the phoenix", 12 year old 57.3% abv.

• Advertisement

It could also be the taste buds not quite being there as still testing positive for Covid. I always open something new on Christmas Day though so couldn't break that tradition!

Undoubtedly could be a factor.

Hope you feel better.

Having a Glendronach 12 now, opened from last week.

Nice. Had it before and a perfect Christmas Day whiskey!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭ablelocks

about to open a bottle of Foxes Bow - had a taste instore and thought it was really nice.

Still good,if a bit sideways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Have a bottle of this on the shelf... Unopened.

Have a big anniversary coming in February and have earmarked this to be part of the celebration.

Really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Opened a bottle of Blue Spot (3rd batch) and Gold Spot yesterday with a couple of close pals.

Reviewing the scene this morning is telling...

Blue Spot is almost empty, Gold spot is still 2/3rds full!

Having never tasted either before yesterday, I might have expected the opposite.

But there ya go!

Blue Spot is bloody delicious.

The brief taste I had of Blue Spot left me thinking that it's by far the most interesting tasting spot, although I haven't tried Gold yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,936 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Friday night was the secret santa samples - Glenallachie 10 cs and Craigallachie 13.

Christmas Eve - JJ Corry Hanson. Got a mini as a gift. Very nice, light mix of grain whiskeys

Christmas Day - MVR 2018. The BiL got a bottle as a gift and he isnt a whiskey drinker. Lovely drop.

For tonight - TBD I got some miniature sets as gifts. I got the Midleton miniature set so maybe Barry Crockett. Also got a Jack Ryan mini set. Dont know too much about their whiskey but have had a few in Beggars Bush over the years so might try their 'Haddington'.

Also a handy Two Stacks 'Dram in a Can' 100ml... which I would love to open on a plane or boat sometime.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

The missus got myself and the father in law tickets for the Whiskey Live Saturday afternoon session. If anyone is around then let me know and I'll have a whiskey with you.

I also got a voucher for Master of Malt. I might get myself some Indian whiskey or a nice bourbon out of it for a change.

Advertisement