Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Is Redbreast 27 worth the €500+ price?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I have a bottle coming to me for my 40th on 2nd January

I might bottle share it as it's an expensive drop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭adaminho

It's my favourite drop of all time. I usually treat myself to a glass two or three times a year in the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I've had Redbreast 27 a few times and if you can afford it I would say it's worth it.

It is a high price but you would spend that on a concert and a hotel room these days if you were lucky. You get 20 glasses of a very special occasion whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Thanks Secret Santa 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Got this during the week and opened last night. After a big tasting everyone agreed it was the Christmas Whiskey of the night!

A lovely mist in it when you add water

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm very tempted to order a bottle. Got some good news yesterday about a job in the New Year. I'm sipping on the 12 y/o cask strength tonight and it's incredible, so I can only imagine what the 27 must be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Bought a bottle of sexton whiskey and writers tears today. Just on the sexton now. Very nice but I'm very much a novice when it comes to whiskey.

Talisker lads

Talisker 10 or talisker Skye??

Which is the better drop

• Advertisement

Where did you get that bottle from

Wouldn't mind getting a bottle myself

Tbf bith great drops. Talisker Skye is surprisingly good. I'd go for the 10 first though. It's a classic. A proper maritime smokey malt.

Master of Malt to a friends address in the North. Was hmmming and haaaing for months tbh but so glad I went for it. It's incredible. A proper pure drop.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

The 10 is the iconic one.

Skye, Port Ruighe, Storm and other "no age statement" offerings from Talisker are nice but I'd do the 10 first.

Opened a bottle of Glendronach 12 and Glenallachie 12 for a side by side tasting.

Well, both the children of Billy Walker... Both similar in style on paper but they're quite tangibly different when you drink them next to each other.

The Glendronach Is 43% abv and definitely lighter in body. The sherry influence is clear but it's thinner and drier than I expected. There's a nuttiness to it that you do get from sherry for sure. Overall this is a better all rounder as a whisky than I expected, because there's less sweetness than I'd anticipated. The thinness combined with that makes for a drinkable good all rounder in a slightly old fashioned style, think Glenfarclas for example.

The Glenallachie is more what I was expecting to be honest ... 46% abv and a thicker, syrupy mouthfeel. Darker in the glass, and lots and lots of fig and dark fruit going on. It's pretty flawless for a core range 12 to be honest, really impressed. But definitely on the richer side.

Only a few days to go now till the inaugural boards secret santa. Everybody should have sent their samples and most people should have received them by now. If anybody had issues posting or is wondering where their samples are please send me a message and I'll follow it up.

I'm currently on day four of isolating with covid/boredom so I'm really looking forward to trying my samples. I don't like blind tasting so I've read the tasting notes. They are all new to me so I'm very excited to try them!

No sign of mine arriving yet but at this stage Cazale I guess they either turn up or they don't, no point in worrying.

Haven't seen a picture of what I sent posted yet but I think it's likely they have arrived as they went out a week and a half ago or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Listrydude

Lots of Blue Spot available at Dublin Airport yesterday. Grabbed some plus Redbreast 15 and a bottle of Green spot Chateau Montelena, which I adore. Really looking forward to Christmas now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I wonder should we have a separate thread for it? I'm having trouble going back through the posts here to look at the samples etc, I can't remember what night everyone will be posting etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

I imagine that blue spot is batch 3. Looking forward to my own bottle of it Christmas eve!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ouch, I hope it doesn't affect the taste buds after you only recently got back in the game.

The blind tasting aspect was half of the fun for me.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Good idea. We can leave this thread for the regular Christmas whiskey and not spam it too much. I've started the thread for it below.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058276309/whiskey-secret-santa/p1?new=1

Spoke too soon, my secret santa samples arrived safe and sound.

I also looked, not a blind tasting fan, and I got a very nice pair alright.

Edit: Sorry, saw the thread above too late!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Can't believe I was too busy to notice the secret santa! I'd love to have taken part.

Anyway, I went to Dunnes on Saturday and picked up a few bottles. Powers Gold Label for €22, Method and Madness Single Grain for €35 and Jameson Black Barrel Proof for €52. Nice to try the Jameson, as I haven't had it before. I've been wanting to try the new triple cask one, but I'd heard good things about the Black Barrel Proof, and it was right there, so I went with it.

You did right! It's lovely.

I know this is the whiskey thread but I thought some might be interested in these barrel aged stouts I picked up for Christmas.

The Shield and Spear from Lough Gill come in at 12% and 13% respectively and were both aged in casks from Boann Distillery.

Opus One from OBrother Brewing is 12.5% and aged in Fercullen 18 Year Old Single Malt & Fercullen 8 Year Old Single Grain casks.

The Big Smoke stout from Rascals is 12%. It was brewed in collaboration with The Dubliner Liberties Distillery, and aged in their bourbon barrels for over half a year.

Bru Super Panda isn't barrel aged and it's 15.2%. The rest are all barrel aged. KBS from Founders is a favourite of mine and is one of the world's great beers. It comes in at 12% and is aged in bourbon barrels for a year.

Barrel Aged Narwhal Barrel from Sierra Nevada is 11.9% and was aged for 8 months in fresh bourbon barrels (a combination of Willett single barrel, Heaven Hill and various Beam brands).

DOT Brew Contains Nuts is a bourbon barrel aged Imperial Stout with added hazelnut and praline. It comes in at 11.2%

Whiplash's Fatal Deviation is aged in bourbon barrels for over a year and is 11%. For fans of cinema it's named after Ireland's greatest martial arts film.

Post edited by Cazale on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I've had those Lough Gill stouts, very tasty imo and I wouldn't generally be a fan of craft stouts

You can still watch Fatal Deviation on YouTube I think. It's like an Irish Roadhouse.

I lvoed the Narwahl @Cazale and the fatal deviation (though maybe a little sweet). Contains Nuts by Dot Brew is class. I have a KBS in the back of the fridge i've been threatening to drink for years.

• Advertisement

Cool name on the account that uploaded the film😗

Advertisement