Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

A sample from our own collection or a sample purchased and sent?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Got an email that I was successful in the blackwater ballot.

Interesting approach, whiskey looks appealing and the manifesto book could be a very good keepsake.

Price is high at €250 but its a limited edition release and first release.

But i decided not to buy because they want to charge €30 shipping. I get its a small business and costs are high but most stores give free shipping over €100 and ive had stuff shipped from the middle east for €30.

Bit of an own goal i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Smurts

I was going to enter myself but thought that €250 was very heavy for 4 x 200ml bottles, so €280 is worse again. A pity as I liked the idea of it

The funny thing is that they will send the unsold kits to some retailer who will ship them for free after paying less than the €250 to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Irishmalts.com have it for €250 plus 6.95 postage.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭xeresod

Thank you!

I'm a drinker not a collector/reseller so not willing to pay an extra 22.50 postage just to get a set within the 1-500 bottle number range!

That difference is a bottle of Powers when on offer (and it's officially hot whiskey season)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

@Cazle - sorry to hear about your mam.

Re secret Santa - great idea. I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Where is the best place to buy wee sample bottles? Apart from reusing 5cl miniature bottles that is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

I'd definitely be up for sending and receiving a few samples. Blind or otherwise.

That highland park l mulligan I got at 63.7 cask strength. When I got it I used an internet dilution calculator and did 3 50ml bottles. 1 at 55, 50 and 46% each. Like I said, I didn't get any peat on the 63.7 bits I drank. I left the samples 2 weeks, had them the other night. There's a decent amount of peat there all right. Delicious. Still mostly sherry. I decided on 50 and diluted the bottle. Now to wait another 2 weeks

That's good lab work!

I have a soft spot for Powers gold label. And the Púca Pot Still, while decent, is, in my opinion, a little too young and a little too grappa-ish so I thought I'd blend the two to lift the Powers Pot Still level and sure enough, it's pretty decent! Much spicier but with the Powers sweetness it's just a nice combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,818 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Darn. I have the basic Puca and single grain but not Pot Still.

Would be good to hear more tips re: interesting home blends / ratios of specific whiskies or styles.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,884 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Tried the first of the Tiny Tipple clearances today - West Cork Black Cask. Just looked and it seems you can pick it up for under €40 easy enough, it's well worth that. Nice flavour, although not as "charred" as I was expecting. Well rounded, nice toffee vibe. It was very smooth and easy drinking

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Jesus Christ

Ardbeg uigedal I think it's spelt is a stunning whiskey

I was always too nervous to try peated scotch but that is a stunning whiskey

Perfect mix of sherry and peat it was Soo good

One of my favourites!

You should try the Corryvreckan next, finished in French Oak, a different beast but also amazing.

Is Laphroaig an absolute peat monster or quite similar to ardbeg peat wise

Laphroaig 10 is, to me, the peatiest scotch, but it's also very briney.

• Advertisement

Anything else sherry finished like the uigedal to try?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Not quite one for the good drink bargain alerts, looks like the Tesco black barrel is back to full price from tomorrow. They change pricing a lot this time of year, so could well drop again tomorrow.

They have their Tesco finest 12 year Irish single malt which I have never seen reduced before for 23.75 (pretty much MUP at 43%). Tough to pick it when three swallows is 25 and black barrel is 28, but I picked one up to give it a try.

Laphroaig is a peat monster but its different because they use some of their own peat from Islay in their own maltings which gives it a real iodine flavour. Probably just the sea air off Islay. They are predominatly oak casks though they've inroduced a few sherry cask versions. really good!

You should try a peated Bunnahabhain! Not as intense as Uigideal but with a bit more maritime influence.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

For sherry finished peated Islay whisky you have any number of options, but for a start you could look at Kilchoman Sanaig, Laphroaig PX or Bowmore 15 year old sherry cask, all relatively easily found.

A really nice sherry finish I like is Lagavulin Distiller's Edition, finished in PX, but it can be harder to get.

As far as Laphroaig and peatiness goes, the Laphroaig 10 is a good quality high street whisky and it's peaty enough but I wouldn't call it a peat monster. Maybe it was in the 70s and 80s but not now. I would have said Uigeadail is much richer and smokier, although they say Uigeadail is not the intense beast it was in early bottlings too.

In saying that, it's kind of relative. the 10 could be a peat monster to someone who mainly drinks Irish whisky. If you're a regular Islay drink it's not going to have the same effect. And over time as with hops I think your palate becomes less sensitive than at the start. I remember having Uigeadail in the late 1990s and it was like a complete assault on my senses, no exaggeration to say we found it elemental and like nothing else we'd tasted at that stage. It just does not have that effect on my any more - I think partly because it's not the same product, but also because I'm not the same whisky drinker.

Laphroaig and Arbeg are oft compared as mainstay heavily peated Islay distilleries but some people (correctly in my view) would say they have different house styles. Laphroaig used to be said to be quite medicinal and more iodine, Ardbeg was seen as having a similar but distinct character, also quite medicinal, and to have quite an intense smokiness, like the inside of a smoking hut at times. The caveat is that these days you've got quite refined and accessible products in the line-up of both distilleries... Laphroaig Lore and the PX for example, and Ardbeg An Oa and Smoketrails...

I went through a phase let year of mixing peated scotch whiskey with pot still. The best of the bunch was Red Breast cask strength with Ardbeg Uigeadail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

I know it's not exactly news but the Tesco whiskey (and whisky) sale has some pretty decent bargains worth nabbing:-

• 4 X Powers 3 Swallow
    • 4 X Talisker 10Yr Old Malt (my favourite Scotch)
    • 1 X Glenmorangie Original
    • 1 X Jameson Crested
    • 2 X Black Busk
    • 1 X Jameson Black Barrel

€416 which averages €32 a bottle.

That should do me for 2023!!!

Right lads it looks like we have enough people for the Secret Santa. I was thinking two 30ml samples each?

For those who like blind tasting we can label them up sample 1 and 2 but maybe put a folded bit paper in the envelope with the information for those who would prefer to know what they are tasting.

I will remind people in the thread until Monday Dec 5th and then we will need to get posting to account for the Xmas postage.

If people want to take part send me a quick private message with your address and I will randomly assign a match. I will then send your details on Monday morning.

If we get an odd number of participants I will do secret Santa with two people to make sure everyone can get involved.

I was thinking we try the samples and post our thoughts on Friday 23rd Dec.

If anyone has any suggestions or thoughts let me know.

Thanks cazale, any thoughts on where to quickly pick up suitable sample containers?

I've always just reused sample bottles I got from tastings or from miniatures. In a pinch I think something like the jars below might work if properly cleaned out and taped for posting. Bonus is you can have a sneaky jam sandwich before filling your whiskey. Someone else might have a better idea though.

https://www.dunnesstoresgrocery.com/sm/pickup/rsid/437/product/bonne-maman-blackcurrant-jam-30g-100713319

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,884 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Amazon sell miniature bottles but it seems the smallest quantity is 24 for £14

Belle Vous Mini Liquor Bottles (24 Pack) - Reusable Plastic 50ml Empty Spirit Bottles with Black Screw Caps and Liquid Funnel for Easy Pouring, Bottle Filling - Miniature Bottles for Weddings, Parties https://amzn.eu/d/8O60y5m

Advertisement