Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I have my samples bottled for the Secret Santa, and my tasting notes printed out. Just need to pack it up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Looking forward to it! Still haven't decided yet what I'll put in them!

I ended up doing two very different samples.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Any O'Brien I rang today said they don't sell aberlour

Are you sure it was O'Briens

• Registered Users Posts: 24 HenryCase

LONG time lurker around these parts but the Secret Santa idea has prompted me to get involved!

Also regarding the Aberlour, it was 2 years ago. I remember as my dad took a shine to it and I gave him half the bottle and had to get another one! Was hoping O'Briens would do something similar again but no such luck...their selection of Scotch has just faded away post Brexit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

Getting in before the bell rings. Great idea and I’d like to be on board

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Last orders for this. We have eleven people participating now including myself. Anyone else interested please send me a private message by 10am Monday morning. It promises to be a good night so don't miss out!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭janiejones

An etiquette question on the samples.

The 2 I'm thinking of that are the most interesting I have open were cask strength. But I found out where I like them and diluted myself in the bottle. So I didn't have to mess around with water every time. They're both still above 50% according to calculations. Would anyone be upset getting those?

I have other bottles where I haven't done this but I don't think they're as interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

It has been a couple of months since I finished my last bottle of Powers three swallows, opened a bottle bought last week. I'm thinking it must be me, but is smells like a glass of caramel, not what I recall, I mean there was some sweetness to the smell, but this is stronger. Also quite a caramel taste, much sweeter than I remember. Anyone else notice this in a recent bottling?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭This is it

I'm looking for a whiskey similar, or close to, Jameson 12 year old. Not a big whiskey drinker but a fan of Green Spot, Writers Tears and loved Jameson 12 Year Old the few times I had it. I believe it's discontinued now?

Any suggestions appreciated!

• Advertisement

To be honest, no, I wouldn't be keen on getting them if it were me. Maybe others would feel differently though.

Yeah. I think that's fair enough. Felt weird enough about it to ask the question so kinda answers itself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

We have thirteen people for the Secret Santa. As we have an odd number of participants I will do secret santa with two people so nobody misses out. I have completed the draw using a random online generator and will send the details to everybody this evening. Some guidelines below:

2 samples of 30ml each

To allow for those who want to blind sample please mark samples as sample 1 and sample 2 but also include a folded note of what the samples are for those who don't want to blind sample

We will aim for Friday 23rd of December from 7pm to post our thoughts about the samples received. Obviously drinking them on that night might not suit everyone so we can taste them on a different date beforehand and post on the night if preferred. If people can't do either they can post as soon as they can after that date.

Thanks for everybody who agreed to take part. It promises to be an interesting experiment and I look forward to enjoying a whiskey or two with you all!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭This is it

Thanks for that! Yes, from googling the Redbreast 12 was mentioned more than a few times but pushing €60-70. Might treat myself for Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭flended12

If you had to, really had to:

Whisk(e)y choices if you had €25, €25 - €50 and €50-€100.

I really only know what I like and what I dont but happy to treat myself and maybe another on the run in to xmas.

Thoughts? Please n thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,575 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

At 25e for the xmas special offera Powers 3 Swallow in Tesco or their finest 12yo single malt. Slane, Roe and Co sometimes 25e. Puca in Aldi.

Dunnes have the pot still sample set for 29e, good way to taste some v nice whiskies (4x50mls)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I'd say <25 right now tesco finest irish 12 year old single malt

25 - 50 toughest category for me. Johnnie walker black or wild turkey 101 taste depending. Wildly different

50 - 100 red breast cask strength or ardbeg 10. Again wildly different so taste dependant

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭head82

Tesco are also doing Chivas Regal for €25.. down from €44. A pretty decent saving. Yet I never see it mentioned much on this thread.

Just curious as to why there seems to be so little love for it.

Is it 2 50ml samples we are sending in secret Santa? Also what date are we sending them?

There just aren't as many scotch drinkers here, and those that are tend to be more interested in single malts than the blends.

Chivas Regal is underrated, I find it very pleasant. I bracket it with JW which is the common comparison as a brand.

Tesco has or had the 18 reduced to 65 lately... A good whisky for the money although I wish it was more than a flat 40% abv... Always frustrating.

• Advertisement

If you are gonna spend 70 on redbreast 12

Spend an extra 20 and get the redbreast 12 cask strength

Absolutely stunning

If the cask strength is too heavy you can always add a few drops of water

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

Do any of you fine people, know where I would track down a bottle of Crown Royal... it seems impossible to get over here any more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,575 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Ok have instructions gone out? I haven't heard anything ...

Cazale PMs who you got, if that's what you mean...?

all sorted now!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Fairly certain I am getting a bottle of something as an anniversary present tomorrow so I'll hold off posting just in case it's something interesting. Think I'll also include a cask strength but I will note that on the sample.

I'm going to go for two single malts with a very unique character which I really hope my Secret Santa match might not have tried...

I sent 2 single malts, sample a and b with abv on container. With a folded note with the names

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CJay1

What's the best Irish Whiskey in the 100-120 range?

Advertisement