Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Thanks for that Beanstalk! The cliff notes version, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Cheers @Beanstalk, I'll give them a go this weekend 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I had got the date wrong, and only realised when I got in from work yesterday, that it was actually tonight.

I enjoyed it, but thought they waffled on a bit too much. Didn't bother with the french press, but reground the coffee and ran it through my espresso machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Anyone try the new Glendalough 7 yo Mizunara cask yet? I had the 13 yo and it was really good, long since gone at this point.

Would be interesting to compare the two alright, the 13 year old was an award winner.

Glendalough has been around since 2011, is their whiskey all still sourced?Any sign of them releasing their own whiskey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Justin10

Anyone try any of the dunvilles whiskey range?

Particularly interested in PX 10.

Never tried any of their range, looking to try some new whiskeys, instead of the usual powers redbreast jameson etc.

Anyone try the new Glendalough 7 year old malt finished in Japanese casks?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

I'm a big dunville's fan. The PX10 and 12 are nice but their single cask bottlings at cask strength are phenomenal ( they pop up on the auction sites at decent value all the time ).

Their px12 cask strength ones, I'd have as one of the best px whiskeys I've ever tried. Far better than rb px, obviously very different too.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

Would anyone have any recommendations for a nice whiskey to mix into cocktails outside of the usual Black Bush etc. I usually make a whiskey espresso martini or the standard old fashioned/sours etc and normally I would use Black Bush or Powers Three Swallow. I really enjoyed the Blackwater Púca offerings also, I thought they shone really well straight up or mixed. Maybe it's bias but I don't enjoy Jameson mixed drinks. In and out of airports every week so a travel bottle is an option too.

Also wondering if anyone had been into Celtic Whiskey Shop recently and knows the the status of their miniatures selection? Last time I was in (early Feb) it was fairly diminished.

You’re using Irish whiskey only for your Old Fashioneds, sours etc. ?

…Have you tried a good quality bourbon or rye like Sazerac?

“West Cork Distillers faces court over fish kill 

Inland Fisheries Ireland is bringing the case against the Skibbereen distillery after a fish kill in the River Ilen”

Not great to say the least!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Makers mark makes a beautiful Manhattan, bulleit rye a great old fashioned and crown royal is perfect for a whiskey sour, should be able to pick up all 3 relatively cheap in any major airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Was never a fan of anything they produced. The fish would be better off dead than having to drink their Pogues Single Malt.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Beagslife

An overlap with the Competitions thread. Win a set of single malts from Bushmills Irish Whiskey | Easy Food

Thanks to JP Liz v1

Anyone tried the new Method and Madness yet? 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KinnegadKid

Is there any glenfiddich lovers about? I am just enquiring about the bottle markings on them. I have these 3..markings are like 2311 and 1111 and 2210.....any ideas.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Opened a bottle of Redbreast Cask Strength tonight as recommended here and I have to say, I think it’s the most amazing whiskey I’ve ever tasted, I have a bottle of 21 and while I didn’t try them side by side, I don’t remember being as blown away……CS with a tiny drop of water, just beautiful…….thanks for the recommendation!

Had the chance to try the full Powers John's Lane deconstruction tasting set last night... Very interesting.

I've always considered Powers John's Lane to be one of the best Irish whiskies out there, especially at the price point. It has a tobacco and leather quality that is much more interesting to me than other, more popular pot still styles. At cask strength? Might be the perfect pot still Irish whiskey for me.

1st Fill Sherry at 57.2% ABV: This was sublime, the stand-out for me. Dark, intense, and one of the oiliest, chewiest Irish whiskies I have ever had.

1st Fill Bourbon at 59.5% ABV: A wonderful contrast. Much lighter in colour, drier but still spicy and intense.

2nd Fill Bourbon at 59.2% bottled on the 18th April 2006: For some reason, the least successful of the three for me.

A larger pour then from the bottle of Johns Lane Cask Strength at 58.2%: When you try this after the others you think "Yes, this is more balanced". I think I'd still rather a full bottle of the deep, dark sherry fill, however.

Afterwards a few Method & Madness chestnut finish. Pleasant but obviously a significant step down.

I continue to think the Middleton Barrel Club turned out to be tremendously good value.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

Wish I'd signed up for that now! I'll get in on the next round I think.

So I have to choose between a couple of scotch options, and looking for feedback/advice.

I'm going for Ardbeg, but have to choose between uigeadail and corryvreckan. Tastings reviews for both seem similar and are equally appealing.

I can pick up two bottles, but might go for another Lagavaulin 16, as I know I like it.

At the end of the day they're both premium NAS Ardbegs with more in common than not.

Uigeadail has always been an award-winner and a favourite of Ardbeg 'superfans'. It's a higher phenol offering, even by Ardbeg standards. Although it has a sherry finish, this is one of those situations where the promised sweetness barely makes a dent.

Corryveckan has a slightly higher ABV but it's only about 2% of a difference. No sherry finish. Some people would consider it a more traditional example of a saline, smoky, Islay whisky, whereas Uigeadail has that hint of sweetness that turns it into a slightly different beast.

I do think unless you're really into Ardbeg buying one of each would be redundant, you're right to opt for something else along with whichever you choose.

• Advertisement

Think I'll go for the Uigeadail this time around so. And if I like it enough, I'll get the Corryveckan when I'm halfway though the first bottle. Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Managed to get a bottle of powers John's lane cask strength

Waiting for delivery

Cannot wait

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Lovely and leathery! a different pot still to the rest in that range, and more affordable too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

latest Dingle pot still release...CS..€180 🙄

Yeah, pretty steep at double the price.

There are whiskies where a cask strength, or 55%+ ABV in general, lift the whisky into another stratosphere.

But when the regular single pot still #5 at €90 is already a well-judged 46.5% ABV I'm not sure I'd be paying through the nose for a boost to 59.5%...

The single malt cask strength seems to be extremely pricey as well - €350 for a bottle on Drinkstore?

Are people drinking these, or is it another mini collectors' bubble?

Sometimes I'm glad I'm more a Scotch man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Aye this is where scotch wins out. For example Port Charlotte & 50% - not quite cask strength but made on a wee island off another big island and is significnatly cheaper. For example under €100 on drinkstore and £42.99 from Amazon to the North.

Anyway, pot still is its own thing and a beautiful thing at that. I just couldn't justify paying €180

The Uigeadail is my favorite. You won't be disappointed. Although it's more a Nov-Feb tipple beside the fire!

Savage stuff. Did a tasting of that last year. Hoping it'll become a core release like the redbreast.

• Advertisement

Some crazy prices of the newer releases. They obviously are pricing them on what they think they can get but it leaves a bad taste. Whiskey hoarders are the bain of whiskey drinkers. Let's hope things settle down but with grain prices etc going through the roof it's likely to get worse at all levels of the whiskey market.

Advertisement