Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Personally, yes, I do suspect that the employment figures at the distillery in the past were influenced by sectarianism. If anything, the nature of the village actually adds to the likelihood, IMO, considering they've got a pretty troubled history of sectarianism and if that's where the majority of your workforce are being pulled from it's not a crazy idea to imagine it might have an impact.

All of this would only make Bushmills similar to many other large Protestant owned employers in Northern Ireland in the past, no pearl clutching in saying that, just simple fact. I'm glad things have moved on. I'm interested in NI history, I don't consider it to be a question of point scoring or being preformative in any way.

I didn't make the comments about Bushmills as a village, but I'd only ask... Are you familiar with the village at all? Because to be honest I don't find it that weird that someone would go there and feel so unwelcome, perhaps especially as a southerner, that they would decide to not even go to Old Bushmills.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

By performative nationalism I meant the Flag/Fleg waving not you personally.

I've been to the village, I know my history so showing up in the Summer season and being surprised at Union Flags strikes me as being precious or potentially faking outrage, particularly as the poster states his partner is from the North. If the Distillery was flag waving then I'd have a bit of an issue and probably wouldn't go in but to not go into the Distillery because of flags in the town seems odd to me.

I'm not sure how you reconcile your contention that employment in the Distillery was definitely sectarian when the local population was overwhelmingly protestant, if the local population was Catholic and those employed Protestant then yes it could be stated employment was sectarian - I mean are you having the same look at Guinness' management positions in the early 20th Century with the same viewpoint?

Anyway - back to Whiskey - any views on Fercullen? I'm probably only interested as they have a "deal" on the 8 year old with a few glasses and 2 cans of O'Brother Opus One or €50 which is tempting me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I have really liked anything I've tasted from Fercullen.

Well, in fairness I didn't say employment practices at Old Bushmills were "definitely" sectarian, I said I suspected it, that they were influenced by sectarianism. In plain language, yes, I think there were probably issues with sectarianism, especially considering the history of the town, and that wouldn't make them unique as a large protestant employer in past decades in NI.

But if you go back to my original past I also said I'd like to read something authoritative on this and indeed the broader history of how Bushmills operated in the past. If you can point me in the direction of anything objective I would be obliged.

I don't really know anything about Guinness' history but, sure, I wouldn't particularly be surprised if there were sectarian employment practices there too. There's certainly people who claim there was, dunno the veracity of that though.

Er, not to state the obvious, but sectarianism has been a pretty big issue issue in Irish history, even within living memory, yeah, it was pretty rife. I think it's OK to talk about it, no finger pointing necessarily going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Just as a nose, here's a link for those tempted by the offer @9320 mentioned

€7.50 delivery on top

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I wonder was it deliberate or was it the ignorance of the photographer but the whiskey is in the beer glass and the beer is in the whiskey glass😂

Totally deliberate. But at the same time, I often drink strong beers like that from a smaller glass, that I usually use for whiskey.

I was confused about that too! Still ordered it mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I'm a student of history too. I've stood and watched Orange Order/Apprentice boys marches up close. I'm hardly precious. I've been going around the North for twenty years and I can count on one hand where I visited somewhere that I didn't feel right in. Bushmills on the day I've visited was one of those and we decided that we would go elsewhere rather than stay around.

Maybe you visited a different day to me and maybe your experience isnt the sole experience?

I've tried all the Fercullen range and they have all been good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

The masterclasses for whiskey live have been announced. I'm still teetotal so won't be going. Did the Pappy Van Winkle Tasting before and can recommend it.

Friday Session

(June 10th 6pm-9.30pm)

6.15-7.15pm- Boann Distillery ‘Talking to Ghosts’

6.15-7.15pm- Teeling Single Pot Still- ‘Bringing Pot Still home to Dublin!’

7.45-8.45pm- Jameson 18 Year Old Deconstruction Tasting with the Masters of Midleton

7.45-8.45pm- JJ Corry ‘World of Whiskey’- Jalisco to Jerez

Saturday Afternoon Session

(June 11th 1pm-4.30pm)

12.00-1.00pm- Buffalo Trace Antique Collection

12.00-1.00pm- Powerscourt Distillery- Fercullen Very Limited Edition Releases

1.30-2.30pm- Dingle Distillery Warehouse Cask Sampling with Graham Coull

1.30-2.30pm- Dunville’s Exclusive Warehouse Cask Tasting

3.00-4.00pm- Glendalough 7 Year Old Single Malt Mizunara Deconstructed Tasting

3.00-4.00pm- Bushmills 16 Year Old Deconstruction with Alex Thomas

Saturday Evening Session

(June 11th 5.30pm-9.00pm)

5.45-6.45pm- Redbreast Wood Exploration with the Masters of Midleton

5.45-6.45pm- Teeling Peated Irish Whiskeys from ‘The Big Smoke’

7.15-8.15pm- Pappy Van Winkle Tasting with Hi- Spirits Irelandd

7.15-8.15pm- Tullamore DEW’ Tullamore-Small Town, Big Distillery’

The Buffalo Trace Antique collection one seems like a no brainer too.

Fair enough, I perhaps went a bit far with the precious comment.

I am really dithering on the Whiskey Live tickets. I only really want to do the 12pm masterclass with Buffalo Trace on the Saturday, and I'm just not sure that I actually want to be drinking bourbon at midday (Or that my wife would allow me).

Just get up at 3am on the day, so it'll feel more like evening time.

I pulled the trigger on a bunch of tickets, hell with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Heading to islay tomorrow! Super excited. It is a stag party but at the same time I'll be hopefully able to at least visit Laphroaig, Lagavulin and Ardbeg. We have a tutored tasting lined up at Ardbeg too.

Enjoy! Went a few years ago and absolutely loved it, itching to go back. The walk between those three distilleries is really nice too

We expect a full debrief!

Particularly interested in the logistics of how you got there, how long it took, cost etc.

Have always meant to get the finger out and go.

Don't know I'm afraid, I decided to be restrained and didn't order in the end. I've got too much whiskey unopened at the moment 😋

• Advertisement

Just looked it up on google maps, they are less than 5km from each other!

I was hoping the Kintyre Express would be back this summer, not looking good at the moment. Was going to get train (from Dublin) as far as Ballymoney and cycle to Ballycastle and bring the bike on the ferry.

https://kintyreexpress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭2011abc

Hard to get past €25 Slane in SuperValu right now especially for Sherry cask fans . You’re right up to almost literally double the cost before anything else would tempt you .

On another ‘cheap ‘ whisky note it looks like Lidl have done the dirt on us and are now only selling the vile 3 year old Queen Margot and no longer stock the vastly superior (ie drinkable) 8 year old . The curse of God on minimum unit pricing !

So what’s good value in your neck of the woods ? Would Whistler PX I Love You be worth forking out €50 for an Easter treat in O Briens?( Lucan has stock ) Its certainly got a cool name :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

Wish I waited for that price on the Whistler. I bought it and think it’s lovely.

Some holiday deals. Any recommendations? I particularly fancy the Arran 10 at that price, but can anyone tell me if the older version is different and/or as good as the much lauded new version?

Bruichladdich Classic Laddie in distinctinctive peppermint colored tube box if you want to try a bit of quality peat? Cheap peat is revolting !Otherwise any ‘Speyside’ ? Best to do a quick check before buying if you don’t like fishy / saltiness , smokiness , peat or all three . Speyside is the safest otherwise .Islay , Highland and Campbeltown regions def for the more adventurous .

Irish Whiskey at least until recently gives afar better bang per buck than Scotch . Glenfiddich 12 is prob not much better than basic Irish costing around half the price

Thank. I do like smoky/peaty. I have had some of the Laddie and liked it and have had about 6 others pictured. I had a miniature of the Arran 10 and like dit enough to consider getting a full one. Not sure if the old one is different though.

Id say you prob know more about scotch than me so !The Glenfiddich 15 and 18 and Glenfarclas 105 and Aberlour Abunadh are my sherry bomb faves while Teachers and Cardhu did nothing for me .I was at a Bruichladdich tasting and enjoyed them all but as full bottles would cost an arm and a leg thats not too surprising ....Octomore and the like ....

At the very bottom of the market things like Jameson and Powers Gold label stack up well against blended supermarket Scotch, but the middle and high end of the market… Not very comparable pricing. Irish whiskey has some serious price inflation, particularly the past 2 years, for new releases. I would say Scotch has the edge in terms of bang for buck for a while to come.

Especially in that there is a far greater breadth of flavour profiles! That’s the bigger issue.

Of what’s listed there I would suggest the Bowmore 18 and Lagavulin 8 are well priced there if you wanted either.

By our standards the Ardbeg 10 pricing is not bad also.

Some really anomalous pricing on show, some very divergent prices. Some distilleries better value than others for sure.

The Glen Grant 12 would also jump out at me there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Anyone else struggling with enjoying 40% whiskeys?

I'm constantly on the lookout for cask strength offerings

Advertisement