Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Saw jameson orange in a bar in NYC, there's a reason this wasn't launched here. Sickly sweet with an artificial flavor that will sell huge with the shots of whiskey frat boy crowd. I don't think I'll be able to finish it, gonna get him to cut it with soda water.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Have to say I love sitting out the back as the sun is going down on a summer evening with the fire pit going sipping on something nice and peaty with only the birds for background noise.

Pure Bliss

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I would agree its a mad price, but im sure the distillery doesn't because its sold out and if you want it now you have to go auction shopping.

Be interesting to see what direction dingle goes in now as they have said there will be not be a batch 7 released.

Presumably some age statements, special casks etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

The only reason it sold out is for the auctions, certainly not to be drank...lol

I am sure a few were also added to collections, will be interesting to see what it sells for !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

This one is being released tomorrow if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Cheese and onion whiskey liqueur. What the actual...? 🤢

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I expect it can only be bought tomorrow, so great flipping opportunity.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭xeresod

Yes, look at what tomorrow's date is 😄

Can't imagine it's genuine!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Opened a 7th edition of Kilchoman 100% Islay.

Malt from their own farm, smoked over peat cut from the Cnoc nearby, farm distilled etc etc

Matured in ex buffalo trace barrels and this is about 9 years old.

50% abv.

I’m a tiny bit disappointed if I’m honest, I think I have enjoyed their cheaper core range of Machir Bay and Sanaig a lot more.

This has an odd lack of smoke on the nose and then it pervades and swamps on the finish. This is very vegetal and earthy, you can taste peat and grassy water. Still enjoyable but but sub par for them.

I’ve heard others warn that Kilchoman can be inconsistent, now I experience it.

This is only the third bottle known left in existence I think. It amazes me how such an operation can vanish over time. I suppose there wasnt as much bottles kept back then and of course probably not as many flippers! Maybe in 142 years time a bottle of Proper Twelve might be worth a few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭conor678

Was over in Dublin from the UK visiting family this weekend. Made use of the duty free in the airport. Got a bottle of Slane Three Wood, 45% 1 L, for €38.

Not a bad whiskey at all. Had their normal bottle and found it very nice. The Three Wood has a lot of complexity to it and was very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

In 142 years time a bottle of proper 12 might be worth what its selling at now.

But i doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

From the Derry Almanac 1893. That sherry casked 6 year old Watt bottle sounds the ticket!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Amid all the interest in Northern Irish distilleries, and jump-starting them as brands again for a contemporary consumers, I do sometimes wonder if people have any reservations about the actual history of some of the persons and companies involved.

From what I've read Watt's was a notoriously dangerous place to work, and before the period they shut down there was ongoing argy bargy with workers that culminated in Watt locking out the workers and shutting the distillery down. I don't think, in fairness to the new owners, in re-creating the brand they are necessarily airbrushing out the history, but I think the blarney about re-creating the history of "fine whisky distilling" in Derry should probably be balanced out by acknowledging that Watt's was a distillery with a number of gruesome urban legends hanging around it.

BTW, I presume the "Tyrconnell" name comes from Watt's family connection to Donegal.

Bushmills is one that still fascinates me. It's met contemporary standards as an employer, I would be sure, but it's set in a village that has a catholic population of less than 4% and a strong history of loyalism. It's hard to locate much information on it very easily, but the history of Bushmills as a distillery up until the relatively recent past merits further attention. I've heard plenty of stories over the years about sectarian employment practices and a reluctance to become involved with any promotion of Irish whiskey on an all-Ireland basis as a result, but I'd like to read something authoritative on this. I think part of the problem now is that everyone is pulling on the green jersey and no one really wants to dredge up stuff from past decades that would leave a bad taste in the mouth.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

My issue with Bushmills is the 1608 horseshlt.

Yes, someone did have a license to distill in the area in 1608 (perhaps, even on the same site) - but there is no evidence of continuous operation and whoever was doing it has absolutely no connection to Bushmills as we know it. I find it to be blatantly disingenuous, the 1608 claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

So what's the actual date for Bushmills?

Wiki has this to say ;

The company that originally built the distillery was formed in 1784, although the date 1608 is printed on the label of the brand – referring to an earlier date when a royal licence was granted to a local landowner to distil whiskey in the area.[1][2] After various periods of closure in its subsequent history, the distillery has been in approximately continuous operation since it was rebuilt after a fire in 1885.[3]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Do bushmills make or have ever made the really Irish single pot still whiskey 🤔😲🤣

They have never made Single Pot Still. Malt only. They buy Midleton grain for blending.

Kilbeggan got a licence in 1757 so it's older!

I went there a few years ago in the summer to do the tour and left before I even got into the building due to the amount of union jacks and associated loyalist nonsense festooned around the town. As I've said before my missus is from the north so I'm used to a bit of forced culture from the brethren but Bushmills felt very much unwelcoming that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Seems like the new Pot Still Technical file is being approved. Other grains will be allowed to make up to 30% if the mash bill. An increase from the current 5%.

Im sure Blackwater and other small distillers will welcome this development

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

So a town with 4% Catholic population sees a Distillery with a predominantly Protestant workforce? Hardly discrimination.

Why did you even bother going to Bushmills during marching season if the sight of a few Union Flags would upset you, you state they were in the town not the Distillery so why refuse to go into the Distillery?

I'm no fan of performative nationalism of either hue, but this seems like a bit of pearl clutching to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

And as 1784 is a fine old age to slap on branding / bottles anyway, they used to do just that before deciding to time-leap to 1608

• Advertisement

what's weird is that when challenged on 1608, they quote the information that's on Wiki, which basically says that Bushmill's categorically was not founded in 1608. I's a strange kind of doublethink!

Advertisement