Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Shortcross whiskey coming out imminently.

CWS: “This unique release is the first Irish Whiskey to be wholly distilled and released by a new Irish Whiskey distillery in Northern Ireland since the 1920’s and the first whiskey to be released outside of the Old Bushmills Distillery since the closure of the Old Comber and Coleraine distilleries.”

What about Killowen? Is ALL their stuff still sourced?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,526 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

£300 for a 5 year old inaugral release with a couple of glasses. away with ya Shortcross

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lledlledlled

How much did it set you back, and is it widely available in Sweden?

I do some travelling with work, mostly to Gavle.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lledlledlled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Found this hidden away, will give it a sip tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Is it allowed to offer swaps on here? I have a bottle of aberlour 12 I don't want as not big into scotch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

I've done swaps on here before and have seen lads do swaps, and there doesnt seem to have been an issue with any post.

I'd say just agree anything in public, on thread, before sending private details via PM

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Ok so anyone have anything to trade for the aberlour 12? I can add money for the right bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭newbie runner

Whiskey is for drinking...not for saving.This is very tasty indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ODriscoll

An opinion like taste is individual and so by definition no one can over rule anyone else's opinion on taste, that absolute reality overrides imagined experts.

As you mentioned Christmas Cake - which for me is not a lazy description what so ever, as it brings so much to the mind.

For that means more than taste anyway, a few different sweetish winter fruit tastes going, a nice christmas cake not one so sweet to be over dominant, something special a small luxury relaxing time, beyond simple or pompous definition.

You should at least try Redbreast, starting with the 12 year old, imo no scots version of our ancient drink is superior at bringing that Christmas cake, something special a small luxury relaxing sipping time, more than just a whiskey. Lovely stuff and the cask strength is even better, with a small touch of good water.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Has anyone got their pack for the Bushmills thing this week? No sign of it here yet. (Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭MacDanger

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Lester_Burnham

I got a notification that it's been shipped with DPD.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I emailed them and got this reply...

Hi, Really sorry, there was a delay in sending the kits – should be with you tomorrow 😊

Crazily, my dad took a chance on ordering one to the UK, and his turned up today!

3x 50ml Black Bush

3x Square Bushmills tumblers

Coffee, syrup, star anise

Considering it’s Bushmills - and their history - wonder was it a deliberate decision to get them to Britain first ;)

I’m being tongue in cheek in case it’s unclear.

Or they had to prioritise them in case of delays with the customs border in the Irish Sea 🙊

Yeah, finally got an email back to say it would be with me tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Smurts

Was hoping it was going to include one of the enamel mugs, the press is full of their glasses! Always a decent set all the same, fair play to them

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think I just gave the last glasses to my local charity shop. Not mad on the shape of them, and loads of glasses already.

Didn't get anything yet, so hopefully DPD message will arrive this morning.

Got my message too. Arriving about lunchtime.

Mine came at lunchtime.

Opened an Ardbeg 5 yr old wee beastie.

Some value found in the highish ABV.

Peated young whisky is somewhat more forgiving than unpeated.

This has the peppery nose promised on the bottle, with the smoke in the background. The peat immediately arrives on tasting, however, and this is smoked meats all the way.

Final thoughts … Probably a decent “supermarket whisky” for Islay drinkers. And a must-try for Ardbeg fans. However, this is far less accomplished than the 10, I can’t see myself buying another bottle.

Looking forward to the Bushmill's event tonight. I might be cheeky and swap out at least half the coffee for decaf, I know it goes against the whole thing a little but i'm not sure I want to over caffeniate on a weeknight!

I don't think I'll be able to make it (kiddie dependent at that time). If it was easy, would you mind scribbling down the recipe(s) for us? They didn't send them out this time

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

I contacted them yesterday as I didn't think I would make it, asking if there was going to be a recording. They said they would be sharing the broadcast on social media next week and recipes would be sent to the ticket holders

• Advertisement

That was great fun.

I think they will send out the recipes but if they don't soon...

To amke the coffee add 30mg of mix to 500ml of water. Then just pour half of that into a mug to taste (about 250ml) along with a glass of black bush neat (50ml). Keep the rest to cool.

Cocktail 1:

50ml cofffee

50ml black bush

full cial of plum five spice syrup

(mix and shake all of the above in a shaker)

Pour over ice on your second bushmills tumbler. add star anise. this was really good.

Cocktail 2:

50ml bush

50ml coffee

1 sachet of sugar

(stir above with ice in tall glass or shaker)

Strain into third bushmills tumbler over ice. add some orange peel that you've rubbed to activate oils.

(i ended up adding more sugar, some bitters and a squeeze of orange to this)

Anyway. very enjoyable!

Advertisement