Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Ralfy named Ledaig 10 as his whisky of the year for 2022 the other day. It's a 10 year old peated Single Malt. Trying it tonight to see what the fuss is.

Sweet and rich. Soft earthy peat. Campfire smoke. Sea salt. Pepper spice. Lingering finish. A decent dram at the price.

https://youtu.be/MEDJIMCXuBc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Deagol

Yeah - would second that. Mrs bought it as a small surprise gift - was pleasantly surprised. Well worth €30.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

The Irishman series is one of the better line-ups out there, I feel. A staple choice if I find myself at an Irish wedding in the residents' bar.

---

Last night I opened my Laphroaig PX finish.

Now, I've got a bit of a cold at the moment (No, shut up, it's not Covid... At least according to antigen tests yesterday and today) so that could explain the subdued nose on it ... Certainly wifts of campfire smoke, but not as much as might be expected. On the mouth the PX marries well, always a concern with any sweet wine finish on an Islay whiskey, but this one works. I'm not hugely surprised as this release has been very well-reviewed by Jim Murray and others. Even Malt Review, who didn't like it, seemed mainly to criticise it on the basis not of being bad, but of being less good than they had hoped it would be. And the finish... Ah, the finish is long and deep, like dropping into a seaweed-laden saltwater pool on the edge of Islay...

• Registered Users Posts: 17 thethinone

I liberated a bottle from my father a few years back. I liked it. I spoke with someone on the Tullamore Dew stand at whiskey live in 2019 and they told me it has a high single pot still component in the blend.

I think it can be got for around the €50 mark and it’s reasonably solid for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

DELETED

• Advertisement

Been quite the week... as I'm sure it has been for all of us.

Finally picked up a Three Swallows a couple of weeks back while it went down to 30.

On Christmas Eve, in a fit of MAP panic, I bought a Johns Lane also. Decided to give both a whirl side-by-side. 3S is a lovely dram, but it's certainly not one for the RRP. I look forward to giving it more consideration over the next while when things calm down a bit.

Have commented on the JL a lot before. Truly lovely juice. finally gets pride of place on the shelf. Had to remove the dregs of a 1L Gold Label - that I got last year for 35- to fit it in. Will do a bottle kill - eh @Cazale - of it this week with some Irish Coffees. 2020 was truly a glorious whiskey deal year.

Headed down to Sligo to the in-laws on Christmas Day (no better day for travelling).

Lucan to Grange was done in no time at all.

First red light I hit after leaving the parental unit's house was just at Finisklin in Sligo town. Immense!

As some may remember, the FIL gave me an Athrú Annacoona First edition (14yo) last year for Christmas, but I neve opened it. Much to his disappointment of course. Though, I knew by this Christmas there might have been new leanbh in the house, so was saving it for something worthwhile...

Brought it down with me and wet the baby's head with it with him and the brother in Law. It really is a lovely drop and I've waxed about it before. By far the best of the series. Regardless of it being the special edition... whiskey is for drinking as it goes.

The BIL brought back a (litre of) Glenmorangie Elementa 14yo from Barcelona, which we had before the Athrú and the difference of the 2 whiskeys couldn't be more pronounced from the start to the flipped finishes, ie. the Athrú lingered longer after creeping up on you whereas the Glen was sharper at the front and fell off a cliff.

Felt the Athrú was more complex and had more depth to it. But the Glenmorangie is certainly one that a Scotch heathen such as myself could do worse with on the shelf.

Of course we went back to an old reliable that evening.

The FIL, thought a knife would be a good idea to cut off the foil. I mean, that tab is impenetrable [sar]. Thankfully I caught him in time before he did some real damage.

I picked up the RB12 with the Birdfeeder for him. Since retirement he's taken to tending his massive garden down in Sligo.

The Birdfeeder was most welcomed (and can be seen just in the bottom right of the photo here). Bastard has some view alright!

But then not to be outdone, he gifted me this (and the Athrú glass above)...

Now, the Ratheadon (1.1) was a triumph, with other releases being somewhat disappointing in comparison. I've seen good and bad reports on the Cuvée and tbh, I kind of echoed some of the, that felt that blending was not part of the deal with what Waterford were doing. But then again, why not? It's exactly what they should be doing really, and I was being a bit churlish I feel.

This was like the first taste of the Ratheadon all over again. Fresh on the first taste, if a bit grassier. Lovely 'milky/oily' texture and very delicate and sweet finish. A triumph indeed. I'm definitely going to grab another one of these and hold onto it for next summer as I feel I'll get through this one rather briskly. My excitement to taste their 5yo and 10yo expressions in time has been renewed.

All in all, a fairly decent week or so given the complete absence of whiskey from my diet the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

For what it’s worth it was a Gold medal winner at the 2021 Irish Whiskey Awards in the 'Blended With Age Statement' category. 

i have only tasted samples, so not a lot of experience with it, but I always liked it. Though i tasted it a week ago from a sample and it could have been an off night for my senses as I thought it wasn’t as good as I remembered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

I had a hard time seeing what the fuss was with Ledaig 10. A couple of years back I got a miniature bottle from a Lidl pack that also included a Speyburn, I think. The Ledaig smelled lovely, but the taste was not one to beckon me back: a dry tannic taste like putting a cold wet teabag on your tongue, and an overload of salt like a french kiss from Lot's wife. 

For me it was a real disappointment as I had high hopes and it was well rated, even before Ralfy gave it the nod. But to my tastes it's as salty as a swearing pirate and not one I would relish returning to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

anyone know how mup is gonna affect the cost of our whiskeys? like from a point of view of cheaper bottles and more expensive bottles?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Think the minimum price for 70cl will be €22 unfortunately.

• Advertisement

That's not awful really

Beers etc worse affected

Not to get into a debate about it, but it's such a crock of shoite.

Tesco have caskmates stout for 20 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭DubLad69

Considering signing up for the Middleton Barrel Club. Anyone know what bottles they gave in previous shipments?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 drawrj

The welcome pack was Jameson Distillery Edition and a pair of glasses and a few other bits such as a note book.

1st shipment was Yellow Spot with 50ml samples of M&M Spanish Oak, Redbreast Lustau, Jameson Triple Triple

2nd shipment was M&M French Chestnut with 50ml samples of MVR Barry Crocket, Redbreast 12, Powers 3 Swallow, Jameson 21 yo.

3rd will be a Powers Johns Lane bottled at CS exclusively for the barrel club, a deconstruction tasting will be done online.

The 4th shipment is also due to be a barrel club exclusive bottling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

This went down just fine. Someone mentioned it might be Bushmills and something else and it definitely tastes like Bushmills.

Got cracked open once we arrived at the sister in laws yesterday and is gone now so a fine drop to just drink away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

One of my neighbours is a member. Certainly turned out worthwhile, I think, if you like their products.

That third shipment will be the March shipment I take it?

Sign up deadline to get in on that are 31/01/2022 and I'm very very tempted by it.

Post edited by BonnieSituation on

Looks like you had quite the week with good whiskey, company and scenery. I have some of that Waterford. Must give it a taste soon. Seems like your FIL was attempting a bottle kill of his own 😂

Yeah I get where you are coming from. I think I got my sample from that Lidl pack too. Ralfy always goes for a slightly left of field choice and one that's not £500 and limited to 150 bottles. I think it's decent for the price. I like a bit of saline so it went down well.

• Advertisement

That cask strength John's Lane is lovely stuff. The regular 46% is still the sweet point for me but it's well worth trying. They have done a number of tastings over the last couple of years and I always thought they were testing the water for a proper release. Be interesting to see if they release a commercial version or leave it at a barrel club exclusive. They'll be worth a few quid if it's the latter.

Gave these to the FIL last week before Xmas. Visited him twice since and didn't get as much as a mince pie in return. Christmas is for giving and not receiving I suppose 😂

It was better when you didn't post. Don't be tempting me!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 drawrj

Yeah, the 3rd shipment is the March tasting. The packs are shipped the week before the tasting.

Herself still doesn't know about the Jameson 21. I don't know how I'll wiggle the Barrel Club out from under her. But we'll see I guess. :)

You could get them delivered to me if you want and I'll look after them. Bottles from the Barrel club are notoriously leaky though 😅

Happy New Year to everybody on the whiskey thread. May whatever you have in your glass go down well tonight.

Sláinte

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Bought this in Duty free the other day for £75, will have after January .

Bought these 2 bottles in Duty Free also for the collection, one for £94 and another for £107. As they are LHR exclusives they sell for £117 at the airport. Got the better price as I basically annoyed the guy say, yes, no, yes, no and he and his colleague gave me a discount. Based on a google this seems a very good deal. Had a 15 hour turnaround in Sweden so left them all in my apartment.

Happy New Year to All!!

My Lagavulin 16 bottle is on fumes. It's been a trusty companion and we shall meet again one day. I'll let my missus have the last word on it.

"What's that **** smell".

High praise indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Ha ha, sounds familiar! My wife won't sit on the sofa next to me when I drink Islay 😋

Advertisement