Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Last year I got an email to say I was successful, and the card I provided would be charged. I didn’t need to approve again, or have the option of changing card. I had to scramble to transfer money to the card I’d nominated. They took payment within an hour of the email.
    I know loads of people missed out as a result, and maybe they’ve changed it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

cheers. It’s confusing alright. Better be ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭bobgaf

I hope this isn't heresy but has anyone tried Jameson Cold Brew ? I'm thinking of it as a slightly different gift. What's it like?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I got a bottle at Christmas a few years ago and thought it tasted like Jameson mixed with stale coffee. I was nearly going to dump it as I didn't think it was good enough for mixing into Irish Coffees, but a fella in work said he'd take it instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I'd go the other way

Picked up a bottle in duty free for something like €15 (never seen it that cheap again) and thought it was very decent. That said, I've not bought a bottle at full price

• Advertisement

I just got the email to say I was successful. Have to confirm within 48 hours.

got an email. Unsuccessful.

There’s a slim chance of a second round. 😞

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I'm in the middle of a bottle of Powers Cask Strength John's Lane, and I'd swear that it is not as good as the bottle that was sent out as part of the Middleton Barrel Club. I note that the Barrel was a percentage point lower in the ABV but obviously don't think this accounts for it. Are there any other factors anyone could mention that could play into the taste difference? I've looked at the label for the Barrel Club bottling and there's nothing jumping out at me.

It's possible it's my imagination - has anyone done a side by side tasting and could comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 samwise94

Also unsuccessful in the dream cask ballot :(

Has anyone tried the Teelong explorers Brazilian edition? Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Unsuccessful in the ballot 🤬😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

my opinion is they are for different things. Powers3 is for drinking neat or with a bit of water.

Roe and Co is for cocktails. I would not sit down to sip it.

Powers3 is fab. At 25 it’s a steal. Buy a box😁

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭head82

Three Swallow at €25 is a no-brainer! I'm not sure I've ever seen it that low a price before.

Having said that, Roe & Co is a nice tipple as well. Very easy to drink.. a bit too easy perhaps.

Get both of them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 1 janb76

Anyone know where would I’d offload a litre bottle of Jameson 12 yr old

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭tphase

I'd say there's plenty of contributors on here would help you out...where are you based?

any follow up email?

Kinda gutted about it now I think about it. Just on the novelty of being good timing for a gift (mist to myself).
    Any other 1985 whiskeys kicking about?

Apparently there's already a bunch on the secondary market, if you are feeling flush.

absolutely despise those vultures. Wouldn’t want to hand over any significant mark up this early

• Advertisement

I saw one at €1500 already on one of the sites.
    I’m not going to drink mine, at the cost of it. But any profit I’ve made off bottles in the past, I just spend on whiskey I’m happy to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I wanna hear someone say, "I got one in the ballot, and it's gorgeous" (or whatever their opinion is)!

Post edited by the beer revolu on

I'd just love to get invited to the launch event where you get to taste it, without having to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭2011abc

So , if I’m down to a bottle every 2-3 months they’d better be nice ….In recent weeks I’ve missed out on Three Swallows at €30 and then €25(!).Achill Island Single Malt ( ‘basic’ version NOT also finished in ex Bordeaux ) from SuperValu at €44 caught my eye tonight and I am ‘on holidays ‘ …
    I remember being blown away by Irish - American 10 ( strangely it was recommended to me by an electrician gent working around the SuperValu spirits ‘cage’ and it felt rude - not to take him up on his suggestion ) I was a bit disappointed when it went from being a pure malt 10 to a ‘high malt content ‘ ( as described in a Reply to an Email to the distiller )with only the slightest change to the label .Achill Island is fromThe same team .

It’s 44% …You kinda know from the first tiny dab (of the otherwise ‘wasted drop ‘ on opening the bottle and pouring )that you lick from Your finger if you’re going to like a whiskey

I like this .It’s not as nice as their ‘10’ stuff ‘back in the day ‘ (3 or 4 years ago ?!:-( ) but in 2024 it’s the same price as Teeling Singl Malt was when I got into whiskey almost ten years ago .It tastes a bit young -I’d say the candles are barely out on its third birthday -but I prefer it to its West Cork equivalents .Worst case on a bad tasting session scenario it’s as good as a Powers and if it hit the palate with the right combination of hunger /fasting ( more is better ,right?) , previous / recent food drink still lingering , relaxed vs stressed , tired vs fresh etc it could be a nice dram

Maybe I should have gotten the identically priced ‘Bordeaux ‘ version but it felt riskier .I’ve only ever had one bad ‘Sherry finished ‘ whiskey but I’ve had a few ‘meh’ to ‘weird’ Bordeaux ones .
    A part of me thinks maybe I should have stumped up the extra €16 for a Redbreast in Dunnes Maynooth had one thisMorning (€60 is as cheap as that sweet tipple gets ) but this will do For now .Not sure it’s quite as nice as The Busker Single Malt which was also €44 I think .Maybe I will pick up a Glenfiddich Solera 15 on hols in UK next month-like last year- but I don’t mind working my way through this until then :-) It’s got a bit of Rye/‘Foxes Bowe’ going on alongside the malty bite without going the whole Jack Daniels wooden floor varnish route .

Anyway 44% at €44 …( they had a peated 59% cask strength at €59 but both cheap Peat and cheap cask strength can be risky )

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Iirc the Irish American brand is sourced whereas the Achill branded stuff is their own product.

Havent bought either yet... was hoping they'd be discounted heavily sometime in Super Valu as they do with other brands. But think just a fiver off is the most Ive seen.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I've just finished a bottle of tbe peated, I really like it. Will check my local sv for it @ 59

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭conor678

I was away with work there and grabbed a bottle of Gentleman Jack. I needed a nice decent bourbon as my bottle of Woodford Reserve is near empty.

Its my first time trying it and it's not too bad. I only paid £20 for it but it's normally £43 in the shops near me. I can't see myself getting it again for that price point. Would rather other bourbons if I am being honest.

As an aside I also got an 11 year old cuban rum cheap. Normally a simple rum and coke man when the occasion calls. However, the 11 year old rum is very sippable. I know there's another forum on rum drinking but its nice to try out different spirits every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Paddy's Share on offer in Supervalu...

(Hat-tip to freshpopcorn in bargain alerts)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Justin10

Got the two bottles of echlinville the beginning.

The packaging is stunning, I'll definitely open the bottles eventually, but with such nice presentation, it's putting me off ever opening it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭tphase

Advertisement