Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Ewan Mackenna either having his greatest ever meltdown or teasing the scoop of the century on twitter at the moment 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

snotboogie wrote: »
    Ewan Mackenna either having his greatest ever meltdown or teasing the scoop of the century on twitter at the moment ��

Photos of a NPHET family gathering apparently. If they were any good he’d have released them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭celt262

aziz wrote: »
    Really ?,never knew that,well it’s back under the bed for me until it’s safe

Take a deep breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

celt262 wrote: »
    What do you want done we would be all dead if there was no air.

Haha this thread on a Friday night is next level haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Didn’t we have it as 3 per 1000? I thought the worst case scenario was 700,000 cases, 2100 deaths. If the latest estimate is 700 deaths, it changes things

Yes my apologies

Looked back on my posts

That's what Donnelly said

• Advertisement

snotboogie wrote: »
    Ewan Mackenna either having his greatest ever meltdown or teasing the scoop of the century on twitter at the moment ��

For anyone not on Twitter.
    Tbh it sounds like he's talking about a family member (or members) of a member of the NPHET, and if so, releasing the photos would be a pretty outrageous thing to do. I defy anyone to claim they have adhered assiduously to every rule.

https://twitter.com/EwanMacKenna/status/1410948669772341248?s=20

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Tbh it sounds like he's talking about a family member (or members) of a member of the NPHET, and if so, releasing the photos would be a pretty outrageous thing to do. I defy anyone to claim they have adhered assiduously to every rule.

Its Ewan McKenna

Ignore tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Post the pic or shut up attention seeking Ewan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I know I haven't but then again I'm not telling people to stay away from loved ones for months on end. If, and it's a massive IF, he has photos of a NPHET member at a family get together and it's against the restrictions at that time then they simply have to resign.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Everyone else’s behaviour doesn’t come in to it.

We saw the press conference yesterday or the day before and it was indoors and NPHET members without masks on for over an hour two of them in close proximity to an unmasked signer.

Rules are for the little people.

Hence the two grand fine at the airport. Can’t have the wealthy stopped from going about what ever they want.

• Advertisement

hollypink wrote: »
    It just seems baffling to me that the English CMO is backing the lifting of restrictions on 19th July and is "cautiously optimistic" over lifting lock down. And most of Europe seem well ahead of Ireland with relaxing restrictions. But NPHET and CMO are extremely pessimistic about the delta variant and predicting a fourth wave in Europe. I can understand variations in interpretations of data and modelling but to have such opposing views seems bizarre.

Because he is doing his actual job, which is to be the chief medical officer.....looking at all things that might influence public health, including mental health and economic impacts

Our chief medical officer is actually just a chief covid officer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

JRant wrote: »
    I know I haven't but then again I'm not telling people to stay away from loved ones for months on end. If, and it's a massive IF, he has photos of a NPHET member at a family get together and it's against the restrictions at that time then they simply have to resign.

The problem is that members of nPHEt and their families will be held to higher standards than the general population for obvious reasons

Particularly so when the cmo is tweeting his disgust at a few people standing outside in the cold in Dublin and comparing it to jones road on AI Sunday

Yeah, nPHEt set the standards, and they better make sure they and their families keep to them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Wouldn't have much time for Ciara Kelly but she does raise a lot of valid points in the video on her Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CQtbiVPHjKX/?utm_medium=copy_link

Because he is doing his actual job, which is to be the chief medical officer.....looking at all things that might influence public health, including mental health and economic impacts

Our chief medical officer is actually just a chief covid officer

Absolutely

Sometimes it’s easy to forget Ireland has the highest vaccine uptake levels across Europe and also the youngest population

We should be leading the way with the reopening

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

a few people standing outside in the cold
    :pac:

The problem is that members of nPHEt and their families will be held to higher standards than the general population for obvious reasons

Particularly so when the cmo is tweeting his disgust at a few people standing outside in the cold in Dublin and comparing it to jones road on AI Sunday

Yeah, nPHEt set the standards, and they better make sure they and their families keep to them

If it's just someone from NPHETs family have a bit of a knees up I couldn't give a shïtê. If someone from NPHET is in attendance then they need to go.

In feudal times, families were often liable to collective punishment for the sins of one of their relations. Thankfully, we don't live in the middle ages, but maybe if he'd been CMO during the Black Death, you'd have a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Is this the Sports Writer who has been anti every restriction since March last year?

I'd ignore him

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Is this the Sports Writer who has been anti every restriction since March last year?

I'd ignore him

Thats him

Waste of ink, or its virtual equivalent

Stheno wrote: »
    Thats him

Waste of ink, or its virtual equivalent

That attitude is why Ireland is where it is now

A difference of opinion is a waste of ink

• Advertisement

Are you familiar with said journalist?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭RunningFlyer

I can only imagine if the ‘smoking gun’ images thing is real and are being withheld on ‘morals’ then it is related to an event concerned with a family tragedy.

If so, no matter the perception of the individual involved, it would be completely immoral and insensitive to try create a smear campaign over.

As unpopular NPHET are to many, this would be crossing a line.

Ewan McKenna is a waste of ink and was long before March 2020. A difference of opinion is fine

He’s the antivenom to George Lee

He also talks unsubstantiated rubbish, but George does it on the national broadcaster everyday and has more influence with his rubbish, which is just as harmful

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Calling Ewan McKenna a journalist is about as accurate as the assumptions underpinning Philip Nolans models

He’s the antivenom to George Lee

He also talks unsubstantiated rubbish, but George does it on the national broadcaster everyday and has more influence with his rubbish, which is just as harmful

George is equally bad

I prefer Paul Cullen and Jack Horgan Jones they tend to have a bit of balance

I can only imagine if the ‘smoking gun’ images thing is real and are being withheld on ‘morals’ then it is related to an event concerned with a family tragedy.

If so, no matter the perception of the individual involved, it would be completely immoral and insensitive to try create a smear campaign over.

As unpopular NPHET are to many, this would be crossing a line.

I couldn't give one shiny shïtê what the event was but if someone in NPHET broke the restrictions they need to go, end of.

I buried my father earlier this year with only 10 people allowed to attend the funeral. If someone got special treatment or decided the rules didn't apply to them they definitely should step down.

Ewan McKenna is a waste of ink and was long before March 2020. A difference of opinion is fine

I hadn’t seen you post in here recently raind.

What’s your opinion of NPHET’s recent modelling?

Genuine question, I know you understand and follow the modelling from the start of this and I’m curious of your opinion

Genuine question, I know you understand and follow the modelling from the start of this and I’m curious of your opinion

I'm not raind but its a bit of a screw up imo

They are re modelling

• Advertisement

Posted my view earlier in the week, but was away a few days so not looked at in as much detail. Am very dubious about the data. It looks to me that there is a major flaw in there somewhere. I believe they may just have plugged in the vaccine numbers in the day they ran the model, and hospitalisation rates based on those numbers and not factored in the continued rollout. Something dodgy anyway. Could also be that assumptions were based on preliminary uk data in areas such as the north west England and parts of Scotland , which had relatively low levels of vaccine uptake in the older populations and high levels with only one dose AZ unlike here where the vast majority got mRNA.

There is a chance the models are accurate, but even so, the increase will be delayed compared to earlier waves giving time to react if required.

Advertisement