Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

shamco wrote: »
    They could just as easily do their job on zoom

Commentating on matches really need you there

charlie14 wrote: »
    Apologies. I got your post completely wrong. That last glass of wine probably didn`t help :o

No worries been there done that

Micky 32 wrote: »
    The vaccines definitely work. As for the social distancing indefinately i’d be calling BS on that one. At the moment vaccinated people are allowed to mix. Social distancing will fade away when more and more people get inoculated.

I think some are just trying to cause a bit of agro between people with the crap like social distancing is here to stay or masks. Just look at World Snooker Championship, 100% capacity. There has also been other like a disco in Liverpool. It may be here for a couple of more months but will soon be gone

I think some are just trying to cause a bit of agro between people with the crap like social distancing is here to stay or masks. Just look at World Snooker Championship, 100% capacity. There has also been other like a disco in Liverpool. It may be here for a couple of more months but will soon be gone

But it's scientists and politicians who are talking about indefinite social distancing and mask wearing:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56475807

"Dr Ramsay said restrictions such as face coverings in crowded places and social distancing had become accepted by many and still allowed the economy to function.

She said "people have got used to those lower-level restrictions now, and people can live with them, and the economy can still go on with those less severe restrictions in place".

"So I think certainly for a few years, at least until other parts of the world are as well vaccinated as we are, and the numbers have come down everywhere, that is when we may be able to go very gradually back to a more normal situation," she added."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/02/the-end-of-lockdown-exactly-how-much-freedom-will-we-have

"Mask-wearing should continue for several more months, if not longer, say experts. “We’d like to keep infection numbers as low as possible this summer to maximise our chances of keeping life close to normal over the much more uncertain winter,” said Professor Rowland Kao of Edinburgh University. “Some continued restrictions would therefore seem wise. This may include keeping down the number of people spending prolonged periods in one place, such as restaurants and pubs, continued recording of people visiting such places, to make tracking easier, and the continued use of masks.”

Professor Paul Hunter of East Anglia University agreed. “I wouldn’t be surprised if face masks still had to be worn on public transport and maybe in other places for some time yet,” he said. This point was also backed by Professor James Naismith of Oxford University, who argued that face-mask wearing could become a useful measure for countering diseases other than Covid-19. “I think we’ll re-impose masking in the winter on crowded indoor spaces. It has the benefit of reducing flu.”"

If herd immunity, which the UK has either reached, or is close to reaching, isn't enough to get rid of social distancing and masks, then what is?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Commentating on matches really need you there

If you mean BO'D, he is sitting in Stratford in east London commentating on a game taking place in France. It will be much easier in the BT complex as he has access to multiple TV screens etc but you would question why he is not in La Rochelle! He'll be back parking his Defender around the corner by tomorrow presumably after a covid test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Micky 32 wrote: »
    The vaccines definitely work. As for the social distancing indefinately i’d be calling BS on that one. At the moment vaccinated people are allowed to mix. Social distancing will fade away when more and more people get inoculated.

I work in grocery retail and people's bouncing of each other, i.e. social distancing, ended long time ago, of course, there's few oddballs enjoying the attention but the other don't give a f.f. anymore.
    Gortanna wrote: »
    But it's scientists and politicians who are talking about indefinite social distancing and mask wearing:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56475807

"Dr Ramsay said restrictions such as face coverings in crowded places and social distancing had become accepted by many and still allowed the economy to function.
    Economy to function? Printing money isn't the way economy is supposed to function, they keep forgetting to mention that. Most effected sectors are the ones most reliant on numbers of customers, and many of them won't be viable if forced to restrict the capacity :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭carveone

I did. I mean they’re playing football for Christ sake!! How can they live with themselves?!

My feeling as I walked past was that the GAA coaches had the right to teach kids hurling after a really long time of not being able to. And these fellows that turned up were taking up space playing soccer when they weren't supposed to be there at all. Pissed me off.

Maybe I just feel that kids Gaelic games should have total priority on a GAA pitch. Is that a different argument? Maybe I did it wrong, sorry...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

But it's scientists and politicians who are talking about indefinite social distancing and mask wearing

Some are, some aren't.

You should realise you're reading some people opinions, not facts.

You should also realise some precautions might be in place for a while yet, hopefully it will be the less intrusive ones and not for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Graham wrote: »
    Some are, some aren't.

You should also realise some precautions might be in place for a while yet, hopefully it will be the less intrusive ones and not for too long.
    thats correct thinking, once supply issue for vaccines is sorted which seems month or two away, greater issues will require action and think most restrictions will be going in minutes not days or weeks. people like to think covid is only issue there exists yet theres prob million more important that will need to be dealt with, and once vaccines are here goverment will be focusing on that.

j@utis wrote: »
    I work in grocery retail and people's bouncing of each other, i.e. social distancing, ended long time ago, of course, there's few oddballs enjoying the attention but the other don't give a f.f. anymore.

Economy to function? Printing money isn't the way economy is supposed to function, they keep forgetting to mention that. Most effected sectors are the ones most reliant on numbers of customers, and many of them won't be viable if forced to restrict the capacity :confused:

You're right. I don't understand statements such as Dr Ramsay's. How social distancing can be described as a 'low level' restriction is beyond me. That's why it's so important to have input from economists. Looking at things through the lens of health is too narrow.

• Advertisement

Some are, some aren't.

But they are scientists who are in prominent positions and who influence decision making. I don't agree with them, or understand where they're coming from, but I'm just saying that there's a reason why members of the public think these measures are going to be in place for a long time. It's coming from what they're hearing from prominent scientists.

But they are scientists who are in prominent positions and who influence decision making.

Some are, some aren't. Some agree, some don't.

Opinions are not the same as facts or plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Penfailed wrote: »
    You're not joking, you're exaggerating.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0430/1212957-ni-covid-19/

thats rthe pic i had seen on the phone. avoid day 1 shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Some are, some aren't.

I wouldn`t see much changing on social distancing or masks until we reach an 80% level of total population vaccinations.

Far as I recall the requirement for determining how successful a vaccine would be was the level of reduction in deaths and severe symptoms, not necessarily in their ability to prevent infection. In other words that they would trigger antibody and T cell response should you become infected that would lessen severe illness and death
    As vaccination levels have increased they have shown just how effective they are with reduced hospitalisation, I.C.U. numbers and deaths. They also appear to be having a major impact on the spread of the virus, but nobody seems to quite knows yet if this is due to them providing immunity from infection, or that those vaccinated are now asymptomatic.

I wouldn`t see much changing on social distancing or masks until we reach an 80% level of total population vaccinations.

I think you're probably right charlie14, I suspect social distancing/masks will be around for a while yet.

I just don't buy into this permanent masks/social distancing scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Penfailed

copeyhagen wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0430/1212957-ni-covid-19/

thats rthe pic i had seen on the phone. avoid day 1 shopping.

The article said hundreds. You said about a thousand.
    A couple of my cousins were in the queue...it's not how I would've spent a sunny Friday!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

I think you're probably right charlie14, I suspect social distancing/masks will be around for a while yet.

But if herd immunity isn't enough to get rid of them in the UK then what will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

House behind me is gearing up for a massive party.

Massive marquee set up in back garden with DJ and lights and all being set up.

This is in Dublin not Donegal FYI.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,652 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

bazermc wrote: »

Any kegs and taps?

Go over and have 8 pints, then ring the cops, couldn't be listening to that shíte past 10 o'clock.

But if herd immunity isn't enough to get rid of them in the UK then what will be?

Herd immunity is by definition enough.

If it's not working, it hasn't been reached.

• Advertisement

I wouldn`t either, but it could be some time yet before they are gone.
    With herd immunity vaccination levels it will be looked on much the way flu is, but with a greater emphasis on achieving a higher level than flu vaccine take up through most likely yearly booster shots

I wouldn`t either, but it could be some time yet before they are gone.
    With herd immunity vaccination levels it will be looked on much the way flu is, but with a greater emphasis on achieving a higher level than flu vaccine take up through most likely yearly booster shots

But it's very possible that the flu will henceforth be treated the way covid has been, that is to say with mandatory mask wearing and social distancing. Varadkar said in an interview a few months ago that "we know what to do for the flu now".

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

bazermc wrote: »

I'd report them, no surprise our case numbers are still high:(

But it's very possible that the flu will henceforth be treated the way covid has been, that is to say with mandatory mask wearing and social distancing. Varadkar said in an interview a few months ago that "we know what to do for the flu now".

TBh I cannot see it. Masks and social distancing has cut flu numbers. That is undeniable. But only because of the high levels of deaths, severe symptoms and after effects from Covid have people complied on both.
    Unfortunately perhaps we have learned to live with flu deaths at a lower level than Covid, so I would not see anywhere near the same compliance on social distancing and masks for flu. Nor could I see the government attempting to enforce it. Varadkar`s comment seems more from having his doctors hat on than his political one.

Best I can see regarding flu is a better take up of the flu vaccine, (and more effective flu vaccines ), because of Covid.

They might just fade away they did after the Spanish flu anyway. They are a bit of a health and litter hazard in the way they are dumped everywhere though, streets, stuck in ditches etc pretty gross.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The U.K. will change on June 21 to masks and social distancing being “advisory” and not a penal provision (ie no fines). I still think there a sensible addition for the next 6 months if it will allow more people into retail etc. The U.K. is already factoring in a post summer covid wave which will surely bring back mandatory masks/social distancing.

TBh I cannot see it. Masks and social distancing has cut flu numbers. That is undeniable. But only because of the high levels of deaths, severe symptoms and after effects from Covid have people complied on both.
    Unfortunately perhaps we have learned to live with flu deaths at a lower level than Covid, so I would not see anywhere near the same compliance on social distancing and masks for flu. Nor could I see the government attempting to enforce it. Varadkar`s comment seems more from having his doctors hat on than his political one.

Best I can see regarding flu is a better take up of the flu vaccine, (and more effective flu vaccines ), because of Covid.

I hope you're right, but if they start reporting case numbers for the flu from now on then it will change how people view the flu.

Marcusm wrote: »
    The U.K. will change on June 21 to masks and social distancing being “advisory” and not a penal provision (ie no fines). I still think there a sensible addition for the next 6 months if it will allow more people into retail etc. The U.K. is already factoring in a post summer covid wave which will surely bring back mandatory masks/social distancing.

I hope you're right, but Dominic Raab said nothing about them being advisory. He said they would probably continue after the 21st of June.

But why would there be a wave when herd immunity will more than likely have been reached (if it hasn't been reached already)? Or even if it won't have been achieved, those at risk will have been vaccinated. If it's a wave of cases but no one is falling ill or being hospitalised then I don't see why that would matter.

gansi wrote: »
    They might just fade away they did after the Spanish flu anyway. They are a bit of a health and litter hazard in the way they are dumped everywhere though, streets, stuck in ditches etc pretty gross.

I don't see them fading away. For a lot of people they have become a fashion statement. And the World Economic Forum was promoting a smart face mask a few weeks ago. But as long as they're not mandatory then I don't really care if people continue to wear them.

• Advertisement

But as long as they're not mandatory then I don't really care if people continue to wear them.

Yet you're fairly determined to convince us they'll be around permanently for some reason?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement