Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

So after all the news about the reopening yesterday. Where are the kids in all of this? What about indoor classes, art, dance, music, gymnastics etc.etc. Communion and conformations too, no plan. They’ve given up so much over the last year, they should be included more in this reopening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

gansi wrote: »
    So after all the news about the reopening yesterday. Where are the kids in all of this? What about indoor classes, art, dance, music, gymnastics etc.etc. Communion and conformations too, no plan. They’ve given up so much over the last year, they should be included more in this reopening.

As for family friendly activities- zoos, pet farms, and heritage sites popular with families and children are now open

Children participating in a non-contact sports have resume training (pods of 15 or fewer)

I would also presume a lot of those activities are being catered for in school eg Art, sport music etc. I think we need to remember that rightly kids were prioritised so as to allow them to return to the classroom to learn and be with friends etc.

Not everything by any means but its a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭dockysher

any mention when morris dance is allowed back?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭Penfailed

dockysher wrote: »

...and funfairs.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Dexpat

dockysher wrote: »

Don't see the problem with this. Morris can dance indoors in the privacy of his own home and could have done so since the beginning of the pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

corkonion wrote: »
    I genuinely don't believe we'll get to dine out in June, im sadly after being trained to accept my freedom being hijacked, after a few haircuts and new socks from pennies, im pretty sure everything will be pushed back by another 4/5 weeks

State can't afford it. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Graham wrote: »
    Case numbers alone are already becoming less relevant, that's likely to continue particularly as the vaccination program rolls out.

Hospitalisations, ICU beds, deaths and vaccinations are going to be the more significant numbers to watch.

I think things are looking pretty positive now.

I find myself agreeing totally with Graham - clear sign that things are looking up :eek:

ypres5 wrote: »
    I remember posters here who were saying we were in for a blow by blow remake of last summer were scoffed at and branded doom mongers by some pro restrictions people for lack of a better description and told that we had reached the light at the end of the tunnel.

Turns out, all those posters here who were saying we were in for a blow by blow remake of last summer were doom mongers...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The misery junkies are running scared

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I noticed it myself around my area. Less social distancing. I think the numbers will increase steadily over the coming days. Really hope we don't go back into lockdown... Especially not the 5km thing

ffs, i thought you were being sarcastic in your first post. lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Because indoors bad, outdoors good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Zebra3 wrote: »
    State can't afford it. Simple as.

I think this is the main factor. That and NI opeing up. No longer tenable to continue very conservative risk averse strategy.

Graham wrote: »
    Case numbers alone are already becoming less relevant, that's likely to continue particularly as the vaccination program rolls out.

Hospitalisations, ICU beds, deaths and vaccinations are going to be the more significant numbers to watch.

I think things are looking pretty positive now.

hows your folks place goin Graham? hotel prices are gone mental. whole family is trying to get over to my folks place at the same two weeks in august... priced our normal hotel in Portugal, 7k for ten days. lol

curfew changed from 10-11 this week, lifted altogether next week.

I think this is the main factor. That and NI opeing up. No longer tenable to continue very conservative risk averse strategy.

seen a photo of a shopping centre up north, queue of about 1000 outside, im not even joking.. madness

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭facehugger99

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I noticed it myself around my area. Less social distancing. I think the numbers will increase steadily over the coming days. Really hope we don't go back into lockdown... Especially not the 5km thing

Better stay away from the beach just to be sure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

copeyhagen wrote: »
    hows your folks place goin Graham? hotel prices are gone mental. whole family is trying to get over to my folks place at the same two weeks in august... priced our normal hotel in Portugal, 7k for ten days. lol

curfew changed from 10-11 this week, lifted altogether next week.

Looking much more positive thanks, opening hours extended and a hope that live music can return soon (as already permitted in the neighbouring town).

Feck all tourists about but I can see that might change in a pretty stratospheric way over the coming months. :)

gozunda wrote: »
    As for family friendly activities- zoos, pet farms, and heritage sites popular with families and children are now open

Children participating in a non-contact sports have resume training (pods of 15 or fewer)

I would also presume a lot of those activities are being catered for in school eg Art, sport music etc. I think we need to remember that rightly kids were prioritised so as to allow them to return to the classroom to learn and be with friends etc.

Not everything by any means but its a good start.

Yes agreed it is a start but only a start. Children are already indoors at school so why not let the indoor activities/ clubs run outside of school.Schools can’t possibly cater for the myriad of activities/ clubs that children belonged to (prior to all of this) during the school day.

The weather in this country as we all know doesn’t lend itself very well to outdoor activities so outdoor stuff can and does get cancelled and then what are the options for indoor? Cinemas and children’s indoor play areas, bowling etc still closed as well, another recreational outlet denied to them.

No dates for communion, confirmation either so all that uncertainty and things up in a heap just as they were last year.

Let’s wait and see if more aspects of the reopening include them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Vaccines pushing on (looks like I might even be up for one myself soon and didn’t expect one at all till after the summer, mid 40’s)

Hospital numbers rapidly heading for under 100, icu numbers are steady and decreasing.

All in all it’s beginning to look like a decent summer, dare I hope even of a day out in Croker towards the end of the summer (I do realise that I’m probably pushing it on 2 fronts, one being crowds allowed back towards the end of summer and secondly Wexford making to the stage of later summer when crowds might be available :D ) but ye know what they say, hope springs eternal!

copeyhagen wrote: »
    seen a photo of a shopping centre up north, queue of about 1000 outside, im not even joking.. madness

You're not joking, you're exaggerating.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,729 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Yes agreed it is a start but only a start. Children are already indoors at school so why not let the indoor activities/ clubs run outside of school.Schools can’t possibly cater for the myriad of activities/ clubs that children belonged to (prior to all of this) during the school day.

To keep the level of indoor contacts down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭Tork

What part of "Outdoor dining and beer gardens may be off menu if May easing leads to spike" means this will definitely happen? Did you even read the article?
    The brakes could be put on plans to reopen hotels, B&Bs as well as outdoor dining and pub beer gardens from June if this month’s easing of lockdown rules sparks a virus upsurge.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

PTH2009 wrote: »

That's the Indo putting words in his mouth in fairness. I really hate our media sometimes grasping hold of something that will obviously be monitored and spinning it like it's a foregone conclusion that it will happen.

George Lee on RTE was an embarrassment last night, actually making things up because he didn't understand what he was told, or worse he did but still had to doom-monger. Should be sanctioned for it at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The weather in this country as we all know doesn’t lend itself very well to outdoor activities so outdoor stuff can and does get cancelled and then what are the options for indoor? Cinemas and children’s indoor play areas, bowling etc still closed as well, another recreational outlet denied to them.

No dates for communion, confirmation either so all that uncertainty and things up in a heap just as they were last year.

Let’s wait and see if more aspects of the reopening include them.

I would presume because all of the above requir adults in indoor / difficult to social distance/ close contact spaces. And yes schooling has been made an exception to that. But afaics that's reasonable for the moment. Once indoor stuff starts opening during summer - reckon a lot of that will stsrt to resume.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

PTH2009 wrote: »

Gabija is constantly fishing for the most negative possible headline at the briefings to the point where NPHET are obviously getting fed up with her. I’d pay no heed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MOR316

Anyone else find it bizarre that they had Eamon Ryan down the country, fixing bikes, whilst Micheal Martin and Leo Varadker done the press conference? :D

The guy's position is a ****ing waste of time. What does he actually do?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Whats the story with cross border travel restrictionsdont see it mentioned anywere.. planning a trip up north in mid june am i supposed to isolate when i come back down south ?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    The misery junkies are running scared

Where are you running to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

MOR316 wrote: »
    Anyone else find it bizarre that they had Eamon Ryan down the country, fixing bikes, whilst Micheal Martin and Leo Varadker done the press conference? :D

The guy's position is a ****ing waste of time. What does he actually do?

Finds new ways to tax everything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,911 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Necro wrote: »
    That's the Indo putting words in his mouth in fairness. I really hate our media sometimes grasping hold of something that will obviously be monitored and spinning it like it's a foregone conclusion that it will happen.

George Lee on RTE was an embarrassment last night, actually making things up because he didn't understand what he was told, or worse he did but still had to doom-monger. Should be sanctioned for it at this point.

Every time I see George Lee reporting on this pandemic it reminds me of his return to RTE after his short leave of absence as a T.D. and him being given the post of agriculture and environment correspondent.
    Sean O Rourke interviewed him shortly afterwards and his opening line was, "Well George other than there being a vacancy, what are your qualifications for the job" ?
    Fergal Bowers is another that often has no comprehension of the information provided.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement