Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are you going past the back of keelings instead, kilreesk road/kileen lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

are you going past the back of keelings instead, kilreesk road/kileen lane?

No, it's been over 2 yrs since I was on that road, the surface is poor. Coming down from Swords Manor, I now take a right turn at the crossroads, next left past the nursing home, next left & stay on that road, past Rivermeade, brings me to the lights at the top of the new runway, if you get me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, i was just going to say that apparently that back lane can sporadically have heavy traffic on it, i've heard (my wife once looked at moving her horse to a stable nearby)

Got an almighty soaking this evening. Fortunately I was on the way home so that's something. Heard a massive bang in the distance from what I suspected was the near by substation and sure enough all the traffic lights were out when I got into town didn't notice any thunder or lightning though.

A few places I had to keep way out in the lane to avoid water and nothing but patience shown behind.

Power was back not long after I got in so could have a shower. Of course genius here didn't have his mudguards on so there's a job to be done on the bike now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

yeah, i was just going to say that apparently that back lane can sporadically have heavy traffic on it, i've heard (my wife once looked at moving her horse to a stable nearby)

Yeah there are trucks and vans up it often enough when I pass. I take the same road as rushfan a lot on my way back from NCD cycles. It's by far the most pleasant road to take. Big fan of Dunshogly?? lane, but it's narrow and has a grass track in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Luckily Avoided the rain today, I was leaving for work just after my shower and the heavens opened.
    Did 37.5 km at 29.3 kph with little or no climbing (thank God) an extra couple of kph above my normal speed, probably due to the couple of hills I've done in the last week or so.

Drimnagh, Conyngham Road, Navan Road, Clonee, across to Lucan, and home again. Was really lovely out while cycling, shorts and short sleeve weather, glad I didn't leave it until after work :D

https://strava.app.link/1FLagb18Fhb

i'd love to know what the story behind rivermeade was; it's what looks like a council estate plonked out in the middle of nowhere. had wondered (pure supposition) if it maybe started as a settled traveller site, i can't think of any other reason for where it's located.

i'd love to know what the story behind rivermeade was; it's what looks like a council estate plonked out in the middle of nowhere. had wondered (pure supposition) if it maybe started as a settled traveller site, i can't think of any other reason for where it's located.

The wiki page suggests it was built to house those displaced by the expansion of the airport.

i never even thought to check that there'd be a wiki page.

The fingal mobile library stops there. That's about all I know about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I always presumed it was built to rehouse the people who's homes were CPO'ed to build runway 10/28 in the 1980's.

Drogheda-Dundalk-Drogheda for my second jab. Heat sapped me on the return trip. Cars beeping at some fool stood in the middle of the road at tullyesker hill with a camera on a tripod taking pictures. I only noticed him when I got within 30-40 meters.

Loads out, must have met 30ish cyclists between Dundalk and Castlebellingham alone, mostly in ones and twos and one lager group of about 8 or 9.

i didn't get out this week - would usually have been out on tues and weds evenings - but i had jab #2 on tuesday evening, and stayed home on weds because i'd heard a few stories about fatigue kicking in about 24 hours after the first jab. in the end the only issue i had to deal with was the typical dead arm which lasts for a day or two after the jab.

Cracking morning. Had the conundrum of only one bottle cage though so went to howth and tried as many ways up it in an hour as I could.sutton side, village side, balkill road and windgates and that one that goes through the estate.

Anyway, howth as a free water refill station near its toilets. It was used twice. Fingal way ahead of DCC in that respect as I've seen them in a few places

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Out for 40k, over to Tara, it was very warm out but still remembered how much I sweat in the heat. Stopped to check phone and send a message and could have half filled a bottle with the sweat pouring off me. Glorious out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Not today but Wednesday ...

Took the 9.00 train to Thurles to meet with a good (and very fit) friend who brought me on a tour initially heading west to Newport for lunch. Took in a few climbs on the way but nothing compared to what awaited on the way to Silvermines. Fortunately he warned me to drop into the small ring before we turned off a nice country road onto a forest lane that started at 16% and hit 20% a few times. It was only 1.5km long but at the rate I was moving, it seemed to take forever to reach Knockanroe car park at the top. The descent to Silvermines was a bit like coming down Kilmashogue - too steep to enjoy and forearm cramps from being on the brakes so much. The 40km back to Thurles was lumpy enough too but thankfully there was a tailwind to ease the pain. After a tour of Thurles trying to find an open pub, I caught the return train and was back in Dublin by 6.00.

https://strava.app.link/zTPU4iiwWhb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Took the bike out yesterday and got a few kms down the road before I realised something felt wrong, had a look at the back wheel while cycling and it looked like a Z! Had no idea what happened as the accident I had last week only involved the front of the bike, took the wheel into the bike shop out beside UCD this morning and the chap in there ran it on his gizmo and after tightening a few slightly loose spokes had it completely straight again, I was amazed at how much strength and shape the spokes actually give the wheel. I’m going to drop the bike in to them for a full service/check up as it’s never had it since new, ps; they didn’t even charge me so hats off to them

My arm now feels like it was hit with a sledge hammer after the jab and some very minor niggles I have with my achilles and knee have me hobbled here. Jab seems to have amplified those problems ten fold, went for the clutch in the car earlier, nope you may drive love :S

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

I was fairly floored the day after the 2nd jab about a week and a half ago. I stayed off the bike for a few days and decided to cut the hedges. Stood on a big dirty rusty nail which went an inch or so into my foot. So no bike for the last week. Still a bit sore but went out this evening. 19km and about 150m of climbing. All things considered, happy with that. My advice, stay cycling after the jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I gallivanted around the border of the Pale yesterday, 300km with 2,500m, 23kph avg. in under 17 hours actual time.

I left south Dublin at 06:30 and headed for Tallaght, there's a church whose bell tower was one of the defensive forts. Out through Rathcoole and Kilteel on quiet back roads to the most southerly point of the route at Ballymore Eustace. By then the early cloud had burnt off and it promised to be a very hot day

Across to Naas and onto busier R-roads through Clane and Kilcock. I will always detest the 4km between Sallins and Clane, it's narrow with no hard shoulder and cars tend to build up behind you, chomping at the bit to overtake.

Second breakfast in Summerhill with a local friendly cat sharing the sausage from my breakfast roll!

Up to Trim and then the most westerly point at Athboy. After Kells it was very hot and my speed dropped. I stopped in Castletown for an ice-cream and some shade. The hills kicked in after Castletown - I still have no love for Drumlins you're either doing 10kph up the steep side or 30kph+ down the descent before the next small hill, impossible to find a rhythm. The scenery was beautiful, golden corn fields with the Mourne Mountains in the distance. Another ice-cream in Tallanstown and then to the most northerly point at Castle Roche eight hours after leaving Ballymore Eustace.

A nice descent into Dundalk and then the long slog down the busy R132 to Drogheda. The best bit was finding the milk vending machine at Wholey Cow!

If there's a better way to get back to Drogheda, I'm all ears.

Out of Drogheda and over Snowtown to Naul with my shadow lengthening in the evening sun. A quick run into Dublin with the sun setting behind me and along the coast Road to Dalkey Castle, the most easterly point. Back home via Carrickmines and a part of the Pale ditch in Sandyford. I have tired legs and stupidity sun tan but it was a great day out on the bike.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/26oRVCYsXhb

Post edited by NamelessPhil on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Hi all

would you recommend any leasure cycle groups around Dublin ? I'm a solo cyclist and would like a bit of company along the way.speed/distance is not really important too me.

thanks

Great stuff namelessphil. I must insist that anyone who meets a friendly cat when cycling takes a pic and posts it though. I may have to make this a mods decree

Anyway, today is anniversary big my birth. But I'm in work from 9.30.

Got up early to head up cruagh, drank some coffee and took in a wonderful view. Down stocking lane and into work with plenty of time to spare. Managed a km per year bang on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Went out yesterday evening after work. Lovely evening for a cycle and an ice cream.

And a bloody wasp that took offense at the invasion of air space. Thankfully the sting didn't get too far through the material and covid laziness induced fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Great spin Nameless Phil. Between Dundalk and Drogheda I'd always head for the coast at Castlebellingham and pass through Annagassan, Clogher Head and Termonfeckin. It adds a bit of distance but the scenery and lack of heavy traffic compared to the R132 more than make up for it. Mind you, I wouldn't have 200km+ done beforehand.

You could have swung left in Castlebellingham and headed for Annagassan, you'd have a few options to Drogheda from there. It's lovely out there on strand rd and coast rd.

I was tempted to head that way myself yesterday but wasn't sure what way traffic would be at that time of day with the good weather and folks heading to beaches as I'd normally only be out that way very early in the mornings and I was conscious of time so just pressed on through Dunleer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭nilhg

A great spin NP, you have a great knack for coming up with concepts for Audax spins, I'm presuming this is to be a permanent? To avoid the Naas/Sallins/Clane road you could consider the new bypass of Sallins (brings you back into Clane) or the canal road out of Naas out to Digby bridge and on to Prosperous and Kilcock, maybe a little longer and possibly outside the Pale....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

If I can, I'll run it as a calendar event next year. It would also be available as a Permanent. I'd like to keep it at 300km, a 400km route would be cruel!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭secman

7 km Into Gorey to meet up with Touring group, out to Ferns and on towards Enniscorthy, out on to the new road and into Enniscorthy, and along the draggy road to Oulart, onto main road and bacj through Ballycanew and Gorey. 80 km avg 30.9kph 556m.

Reset garmin for a what was to be a handy 7km back to Ballycanew.. avg 29kph

Glorious weather but sweated before i even mounted the bike 🥵

• Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Savage spin today, recreated the mount Leinster challenge sportive route. We've done it a couple of times before over the last couple of years, but starting over the Carlow side. It's 2 ascents of Mount Leinster, first time up the Myshall side steep ramp and second time up from Bunclody. But for the first time ever we jumped the gate and went up the mast. Oh my Good Lord, I love a climb but that was the hardest thing I've ever done on a bike. The mortirolo is the only thing I could compare it to but the steepest part of that wasn't as long or as consistently steep. I had a 39:32 & I wouldn't go near it ever again without a Grannyer gear. It absolutely tore the legs off us and we felt the effort from it for the whole remainder of the spin (we did it on the first pass). Coming down was horrible too, the surface is fierce bumpy, which doesn't really come across at <8kph on the way up!

Unbelievable 360 views from the top though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

We cycled out to Bray today only to discover the Promenade "cycle path" full of pedestrians, like hundreds of them walking along on the cycle path, so we (along with the other cyclists) just cycled out on the road, which was pretty much already bumper to bumper full with cars.

Advertisement