Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Biggest day out for me ever yesterday. 161km @27km/h with 2150 of climbing.

Met a friend in Clonee at 6am and headed up stocking lane, over the Sally gap, over the Shay Elliot and then over Slieve Mann before turning for home and coming back by Blessington.

Despite planning it out still found getting enough fuel in difficult and I became irrationally upset after getting my 2nd puncture of the day at 130km in.

Glad to have done it all the same - nice sense of achievement at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Biggest day out for me ever yesterday. 161km @27km/h with 2150 of climbing. ...
    As a wimpy-distance cyclist: :eek::o
    ... became irrationally upset after getting my 2nd puncture of the day at 130km in.
    Does not compute - unlimited expressions of frustration allowed :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Grand week for me, 260km all in which according to Strava is the best week I've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,069 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Out to enniskerry, round powerscourt, crone woods, up to glencree,featherbeds and back into dublin. 52k in just over 2hrs with 750m of climbing. Calling this a warmup for a very early summer solstice spin i'm planning tmoro...
    Was also passed by multi-kom jolder Aaron O'Donoghue, no wonder he's top of so many leaderboards, lad must have a hidden motor!

https://www.strava.com/activities/5500103410

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... which according to Strava is the best week I've had.
    Is there an easy way of finding that out in Strava?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Just had to scroll back through the 'bar chart' display and load it several times for each year period. I don't think there's a single 'show me my busiest week' option.

Also, it's possible that I may have done more in a week if you define it as simply any seven day period, Strava uses Monday to Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

what a day . forecast as a washout upto yesterday got a dry 80km club spin in. glenties portnoo ardara and home. wrecked now

• Registered Users Posts: 16,657 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Did a road race in Knockderry today, great to be back in the bunch racing again.

No joy but still a great day.

Just had to scroll back through the 'bar chart' display and load it several times for each year period. I don't think there's a single 'show me my busiest week' option...
    I just realised it can easily be displayed on VeloViewer.

71.6km for me today with 429m @25.5k/ph to Dundalk and back to Drogheda.

Stopped half way to roll up my sleeve and get stabbed with a needle.

Lovely day for it and plenty of others out. Wished I'd picked a different route though, when the road is wide and straight it gets boring at times and you can see the ups and downs coming from ages away.

Passing the Valley Inn on the way home, they looked to be doing a roaring trade. No fewer than 3 areas set up for outdoor dining. Great to see. Donegan's in Monasterboice on the other hand was looked up tight :confused:

• Advertisement

I just realised it can easily be displayed on VeloViewer.
    am curious to ask now what your best week is!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

71.6km for me today with 429m @25.5k/ph to Dundalk and back to Drogheda.

Stopped half way to roll up my sleeve and get stabbed with a needle.

Lovely day for it and plenty of others out. Wished I'd picked a different route though, when the road is wide and straight it gets boring at times and you can see the ups and downs coming from ages away.

Passing the Valley Inn on the way home, they looked to be doing a roaring trade. No fewer than 3 areas set up for outdoor dining. Great to see. Donegan's in Monasterboice on the other hand was looked up tight :confused:

Ah yeah Blackrock Clogherhead route be nicer but maybe you chose right if there was lot of seaside traffic about

Ah yeah Blackrock Clogherhead route be nicer but maybe you chose right if there was lot of seaside traffic about

Exactly my thinking, sunny weekend afternoon I figured it would be crazy out that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Nice couple of hours this morning. 50 k . Only to discover my foot said no 'I'm not leaving the pedal ' and bang fell over outside my own house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭secman

I skipped the morning club spin, went solo later but cut the spin short ,felt tired today.
    A mere 35km, avg 29kph, 212 meters.
    Up to , Kilmuckridge, Ballygarrett, Killenagh, Ballycanew, Ballyedmund and home.
    HAPPY fathers day to all the boardsie cycling fathers :)

am curious to ask now what your best week is!
    I thought I did well this week at 648kms but it ranks around 10th. I did 1,006kms one week in July 2015.

madre de dios.
    i typically get out for two to two and a half hours at a time, so generally about 50-70km each, and four times a week is good going for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

...Passing the Valley Inn on the way home, they looked to be doing a roaring trade...
    For years it was the other way around - Donegan's was always the more popular spot.

(I was only in The Valley Inn once but it sticks in my memory for all the wrong reasons as that day in July 1989 6 people were wiped out in a RTA nearby.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭patrickc

I thought I did well this week at 648kms but it ranks around 10th. I did 1,006kms one week in July 2015.

wow just wow.

ps you've too much time on your hands.

I'm lucky to get 200k a week in.

• Advertisement

For years it was the other way around - Donegan's was always the more popular spot.

(I was only in The Valley Inn once but it sticks in my memory for all the wrong reasons as that day in July 1989 6 people were wiped out in a RTA nearby.)

One of the many unfortunate tragedies on that stretch of road. Girl in my year at school among those taken out there in 1997.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Back today cycling with my brother and cousin after a whole year off the bike. My cousin is racing so he was taking it handy today as he's racing mid week with the juniors in his club.Just as well. Did 30km great to be back on the bike again. I missed it. Hung on eventhough my fitness is no where it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Cycled from home (Turloughmore) to Tuam via the 'back road', did a few bits and cycled home.

Out, into the wind- 18.28km, 45.31 mins, 24.1km/h Strava link

Back, with the wind- 35.49 mins, 30.9km/h Strav link

Granted I cycle quicker on the return leg anyway but the wind is a lovely helper!

52k in glorious sunshine for me last night. 26.5kph with 800 up in what was a very leisurely effort.

That spin took me over 3,000 km for the year which is comfortably the most consistent 6 month period I've had since I started cycling two years ago.

Hoping to get over 7,000km for the year.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Myself and two team colleagues met up for the first time since March 2020 in a trip to Tara.
    Met one at Leixlip and we travelled casually to Tara where we met the other. Lovely to catch up over coffee and danishes in the sunshine.

After we went our separate ways I had about 75km under my belt so did another few to get over the 100 mark. It's been a while since I didn't push myself as much as usual and it felt nice.
    In the end: 102km @ 26km/h with 488m
    https://www.strava.com/activities/5512205635

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭secman

Short commute from Inchicore to Cherrytree to meet up, heavy enough traffic from there to parkwest and across to Newcastle. Towards Celbridge, left on Lyons to Ardclough, Boston hill and towards Kill, Punchestown, Blessington, Brittas and home.
    68 km, avg 29.2kph, 427 meters.
    Avg would have been pretty decent taking out Inchicore to Newcastle due to heavy traffic.
    On off spitting rain during the spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭devonp

extended commute , cc to yellow hse then up cruagh to the line , down cunard back over to Tallaght bypass mt seskin and home over mcDonaghs lane to leixlip

on my way out to Rathfarham 2 very fancy ebikes?? passed and left me for dead. man and a lady in the bike lane prob 30kph+ min
    both were pedaling , bikes had leather paniers at the back , pulled in at Rathgar but across the rd...modeled on WWII messanger /courier bikes...nice looking very wide tyres motorbikish width ...any idea of brand type?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

First club road race - got my head kicked in. Im addicted

• Registered Users Posts: 16,657 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Great stuff, sounds enjoyable.

• Advertisement

Was it a "Reality Check" ?????

I'll see myself out :p

Advertisement