Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

secman wrote: »
    After a good gallop yesterday with Gorey cc touring group..80 km , 30.5kph and 600 meters i decided to help the tourers club csptain out with a new group of newbie tourers. Gorey to Arklow, Woodenbridge, Avoca, Meeting of the waters and stopped in Ballinaclash. Back the exact same route. 70km avg 26kph and 500 meters. Felt like a real recovery spin after yesterday.

Boy am I glad I don't go touring with you!! I work on a 20km/h average for touring. At your speeds I could get around the Iberian peninsula for my next holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭secman

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Boy am I glad I don't go touring with you!! I work on a 20km/h average for touring. At your speeds I could get around the Iberian peninsula for my next holiday

Yeah its a strong touring group, most of them went with the racers yesterday and did about 100km at near enough 30kph and 800 meters.
    4 of us took a group of 4 newbies out yesterday for a 70km spin and the avg was 26kph :)

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

53 km at 23kph with 600 m climbing.
    Didn't feel as warm as it was when I left, but, by jeepers, I sweat bucket loads, so much so that when I went to the chemist to pick up my prescription, I had sweat running down my legs from the chamois in my shorts, I wisely waited outside until it was ready :D
    Drimnagh to Tallaght, ballinascorney, over by Kilbride, manor kilbride, N81, and home again.
    I think I'll pay for it in the morning, but it was worth it to fly down the far side if kilbride at 68ish kph on an auld bohreen lol.
    I remember now why I hate Balinascorney

https://strava.app.link/Kn1CJAQMshb

53k with 700 climbing at 27.3kph for me yesterday evening in glorious conditions. Very hilly spin.

Unusual wind (think it was a northerly) so threw in a few efforts and got a second and two fifths on busyish local climbs. Was very tired going out after a hectic weekend so happy with that.

Missed my long spin Sunday but have some time off this week so hope to have a strong week. The beautiful, warm weather will help.

Kids at the creche, off work, beautiful morning with no wind. Heaven.

60k with 500 up at 32kph. Felt good after a badly needed restorative sleep last night.

At 6ft 4" and nearly 14st, it's amazing how much quicker I can go in calm conditions. Also focused on descents and pushing on on the flats and didn't go mad on the climbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Isot10

plodder wrote: »
    Did the Westportif on Sat, so this should be easy by comparison. Does the ferry not go from Cloughmore though? It looks here like it's going from Corraun...?

hi Plodder,
    the ferry usually goes to Cloughmore and you can go from there if you want the extra spin via achill sound.
    However if you contact clareislandferry.com they will pick you up at currane pier ,its only 4 mins across from cloughmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭plodder

Isot10 wrote: »
    hi Plodder,
    the ferry usually goes to Cloughmore and you can go from there if you want the extra spin via achill sound.
    However if you contact clareislandferry.com they will pick you up at currane pier ,its only 4 mins across from cloughmore.
    Thanks, that makes sense. I'd like to add in the coastal section around Dooega. So, CLoughmore would be better anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

First decent solo spin on the new bike today after work, weather was unreal and hit the old backroads from blanch up to Kilbride and ratoath and then back home through fairyhouse and dunboyne

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't like cycling the fairyhouse road. loads of traffic, fast moving usually.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

i don't like cycling the fairyhouse road. loads of traffic, fast moving usually.

There's nice quiet roads that run near it. Not quite parralel but you can zig zag and twist around them to get back to blanchardstown on a much more pleasant road.

• Advertisement

Yep I had a few close drive bys on it to be honest, was the first time doing them so will explore a bit better next time

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I was travelling it from Rathoath 18 months or 2 years ago with a queue of stationary oncoming traffic (queuing to trun into the racecourse) and the car behind me felt I should have been cycling in the ditch but managed to squeeze between me and the oncoming queue, scream something at me through the passenger window before spitting out the window at me.
    I pulled over and typed his reg into a blank email on my phone. I hadn't realised with the sunlight that autocorrect changed it and I lost it :(
    Obviously uncomfortable travelling that road now.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Im a local and bloody hate the Fairyhouse road, its a disaster (even driving on it, as users seems to think 80 speed limit means that's just a recommendation!!) . Luckily there are many alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I dont just hate Balinascorney, I hate all hills - with a passion, wont stop me trying though.

Drimnagh, Tallaght, Gunney Hill, Mount Venus, Pine Forest, Stepaside, through to the City Centre, quays, Conyngham Road, and home.
    46 km at 24 kph with 480 m climbing , felt like more.
    Dull looking day, but very warm and humid, I had to hang my gear on the line to dry it off enough to put in the washing bag (only wash gear after 4/5 spins, ie wash 4/5 kits at once)
    Slow going uphill, but this fatboy can move on a downhill lol

https://strava.app.link/Vso37KIOzhb

Had a great spin from blanch to bray this morning, couple of very nice coffees and was about 2kms from home when some biddy in a car turned right across in front of me, I hit both brakes hard but smashed into her passenger door and took the full brunt of it in my shoulders and face! She got a bad fright and a ruined car door but the only damage I got was broken phone holder, I let her go on her way as she was badly shaken but I’m just out of the shower now and can barely lift my arm up to brush my hair so I’m sure I’ll be pretty stiff tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Had a great spin from blanch to bray this morning, couple of very nice coffees and was about 2kms from home when some biddy in a car turned right across in front of me, I hit both brakes hard but smashed into her passenger door and took the full brunt of it in my shoulders and face! She got a bad fright and a ruined car door but the only damage I got was broken phone holder, I let her go on her way as she was badly shaken but I’m just out of the shower now and can barely lift my arm up to brush my hair so I’m sure I’ll be pretty stiff tomorrow
    Hope you're ok. I'm not sure if you are aware but you/her are obliged to report an accident where there has been an injury, to the Gardai. Always best to get the other driver's details or even a registration. Often, with the adrenaline flowing, you may not realise that you have been injured until hours later. You bike may appear fine but you may notice something damaged/not working correctly later. I'd report that accident as soon as possible if I were you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Plus you never know. They might come looking for damages or whatever changing their arm. I'd get it on the record. Gardai will be delighted to hear it's a civil matter, but will still note it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Did Ring of Kerry cycle ..... was lovely to see a good few people doing it ...obviously way way down on previous years.

Day was a bit messy weather wise .... 50% rain throughout.

Was great also local charities getting something this year.

Hopefully all the sportifs will be back next year .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I cycled a grand total of 26k today.
    In the sun in civvies.
    To get my vaccine!!

(Oh 120k of flat to work and back yesterday)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Intended to head out with the club on a 100km spin up towards Tara but just as I was approaching the meeting place and issue I was plagued with on last Saturday's club spin reappeared having not shown it's face all week.
    I replaced my chain and casette before last week's spin and for some reason the chain started comjng off the big ring when changing up or down, climbing hills or even just during normal pedalling. Derailleur adjustment made no difference.
    Anyhow, sure enough this morning it started doing it again having been obedient for about 200km during the week.
    I aborted the club spin but as the LBS wasn't yet open I started wandering about on my own down Strawberry Beds, Phoenix Park and then over to Glasnevin Cemetery.
    In the end I did about 50km before I got to the LBS. This 50km included loads of chain slip and also a puncture on Fr Matthew Bridge in Dublin.

Anyhow the LBS reckoned my 105 large chainring needed replacement. They checked online and reckoned it would be around Christmas before Shimano could deliver a new one to them.

Headed the long way for home and managed another 25km making my weekly target of 250km so a crappy morning out with spitting rain on a total of 73km @ 28.3km/h.

When I got home, I looked around online and eventually spotted a full 50-34 black chainwheel set in CSS. It's 170mm whereas my existing crank is 172.5mm but I can keep the old cranks on the bike.
    The LBS will fit it on Monday and check an ongoing creak that I am fairly sure is coming from the head.

Collected the crank this evening from CSS along with a few other bits and pieces.

https://strava.app.link/fK8fYcSWAhb

• Advertisement

Hope you're ok. I'm not sure if you are aware but you/her are obliged to report an accident where there has been an injury, to the Gardai. Always best to get the other driver's details or even a registration. Often, with the adrenaline flowing, you may not realise that you have been injured until hours later. You bike may appear fine but you may notice something damaged/not working correctly later. I'd report that accident as soon as possible if I were you.

No I I didn’t get her details as I was probably a bit embarrassed/shocked after it happened. Hindsight obviously tells me I should have, bike is only a few days old so I’m praying everything is ok. I’m stiff and sore but nothing that will last more than a few days but I definitely took a nasty chunk out of her door, I went right up on my front wheel so I think it was either my stem or forks that did the damage, luckily it was a tall people carrier which stopped me from going over the roof

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Solid Irish summers day today. Started off dry then got misty which became a fog that quite frankly was scary due to the low level of visibility. When the fog cleared rain got more consistent to ensure I was totally soaked. However my fortunes started to change near Kilmeadan when I turned for a tailwind home. Soon after the sun came out to give me a good end to decent day on the bike.

160km @ 31.8avg for just over 5hours on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭secman

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    No I I didn’t get her details as I was probably a bit embarrassed/shocked after it happened. Hindsight obviously tells me I should have, bike is only a few days old so I’m praying everything is ok. I’m stiff and sore but nothing that will last more than a few days but I definitely took a nasty chunk out of her door, I went right up on my front wheel so I think it was either my stem or forks that did the damage, luckily it was a tall people carrier which stopped me from going over the roof

I'd check the forks and front of bike for any hairline damage, glad you're okayish .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Feeling a bit wrecked this morning but managed a meandering 72k with 1.3k of up in the Wicklow hills taking in the Sally gap, Ballynultagh gap, and back home taking in the Kilbride army camp and Ballinascorny. Lovely until the last hour then the skies opened, though warm summer rain is no hardship. Met an old friend up by Kippure for a welcome natter and feeling way better now than when I set off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

82km 1011m climbing round the backroads only got caught in about 3 albeit heavy showers, but still weather waaay better than forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

A wet & miserable 4hrs, no coffee stop and glad to get home. Hopefully this weekend has given us enough rain for a month or two.

127km @ 31.7 avg with no coffee!!!

Wet roads and some drizzle but avoided all the heavy showers. Bike is filthy again.

80k at 30kph on the nose with 900 climbing. Threw in a few efforts on a few climbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Got a nice dirty shower going out the door this morning but I was well geared up for it. Within 10 km it had cleared and I was back to just my jersey. Did the next 70 km in nice dry weather and just 3 or 4 km from home it opened the heavens again.
    Longwood, Clonard, Enfield, Kilcock. Maynooth, Dunboyne, Summerhill , Rathmolyon, Longwood
    92km, 31.2 kmh
    https://strava.app.link/e5JMj18VChb

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭WOT

215km / 1611m / 24.7km/h

My 1st 200km audax route, even if it was just an old one from 2019. Probably had a little more in the tank but grateful there weren’t many more hills. Tried to make sure I didn’t blow up either.
    I’d need slicker navigation to justify pushing harder. Next time.

This was the route which starts in Dublin and takes in Ardee, kingscourt, kells, athboy and finishes in Dublin.

https://www.audaxireland.org/events-calendar/gazetteer/200km-events/dying-light-200/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Leaving work last night, and I was cursing Wet Eireann, as I was geared up for rain. Instead, glorious sunshine! However, just as I turned onto Balheary Ave, it started, which made me feel a bit better about my choice of gear. Anyway, 31km long spin home. I'm also trialling a new route to work, one which keeps me away from the "L3132" from the roundabout on the Naul road past Keelings, as it was a tad stressful even at 6.15am. The new route is 3km further but stress free.

Advertisement