Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you don't like that everybody else does.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 VertBlue

The 'Reopening'

We have just got a wedding invite and I am dreading it already

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Archeron wrote: »
    The beach in Ireland. Stupid sand gets everywhere, you can't eat in peace, a wind will blind you, sharp stones and shells all the way to the sea which is filled with jellyfish monsters and big sticky seaweed fingers. Even the grass that grows there is sharp enough to cut a toe off.

Eugh this. My childhood was absolutely marred by the beach. Endless summers down in Wexford/ Waterford being forced onto the beach. Sitting behind f*cking "windbreakers" bedded down with rocks, eating sandy boiled egg sandwiches and then having to brave the crab and jellyfish infested waters while my legs turned purple from the cold. Then around 11/ 12 having the added period pains, zero public toilets, trying to make excuses why I didn't want to get in swimming. I actually hate my parents for putting me through all that. Ten f*cking weeks of it. Every. Single. Year. My daughters will never have to go to a beach unless they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

keano_afc wrote: »
    Tea. Yuck.
    Friends. Watched a couple of episodes, didnt find it funny.
    Intermission. Like watching paint dry.

Tea is rank, I’ll never understand the absolute weird obsession with it here..

“Ohhh we’ve won the lotto, 20 million ? But we’ve only got one hour to get it or we loose it ? Ohh great well, get that kettle on and we’ll have a quick cuppa and then we’ll go collect it”

“My cousin John collapsed in the street earlier, taken to hospital ? Jesus ok, well , we better go and see is he ok, here Martin put that kettle on first good man sure we can’t go anywhere or function unless we’ve a tea inside us, they’ll understand, good man,”

“Eugene is here to fix the TV, we’ll leave him at it as he has to rush to another job”
    “Good man Eugene, here will you have a cup of tea ? Sure I’m making one for meself ( unsure why this matters, if I was to cut me own toes off would Eugene be cajoled into doing the same ?)

Friends was good when it came out but for whatever reason it’s aged very poorly. I’ve never had the slightest inclination to rewatch an episode..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Strumms wrote: »
    Tea is rank, I’ll never understand the absolute weird obsession with it here..

There was a box of teabags at the top of the Christmas hamper they kindly sent me last year.

I hate the stuff, and promptly gave the box to the neighbour who had delivered the hamper. He looked at me in sheer utter disbelief.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Apps and associated accounts -

I try and avoid them generally but it is getting more difficult to do so as so much of modern life now involves downloading management interfaces to do things that we used to do for ourselves.

Despite people thinking that it opens up unlimited horizons, I find that it only funnels you down avenues where the app controllers want you to go, all the while they are harvesting as much data from you as they can and are drawing virtual connection lines to profile you everytime you sign up to something new. Everything that you download to your phone wants access to media, contacts, microphone, camera etc.

Part of modern life, but I preferred when I decided what I wanted to do and had to figure out how to do it for myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,726 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Daffodils. Ugly looking weed in my opinion. Tulips - lovely, daffs- awful yet they are everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Tourist resorts. Cultureless Ballymuns On Sea.

Sunbathing. You can read a cheap paperback and doze off just as well at home.

Politics. Bigotry and prejudice dressed up as virtue. It attracts the worst people and brings out the worst in normally decent people. If you are firmly of 'the left' or firmly of 'the right' you are firmly a half wit and you have only yourself to blame. Too many things are politicized these days and we are the worse off for it.

Along the lines of a previous poster re: trad, I find 'the blues' tedious and repetitive very quickly. Any more than 10-15 minutes in a row and I'm looking for the exit. This comes down to 2 minutes in the presence of boring blues guitar solos: here we go up and down and around the same aul scales AGAIN. Argh! Grow up!

High fashion models. Bony, asexual, un-womanly... extremely unattractive.

Gawd, I'm grumpy today. Let's see if posting this helps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

sporina wrote: »
    Dislike all those TV shows - looking for talent, like Pop Stars/Idols etc.. and Dancing with Stars,. etc.. they make me cringe..

Again, I have to keep my mouth shut at work about this though cos on breaks they are often the hot topic of conversation

The thing with these shows is that they should be good and it makes sense why people are into them but they've just been done to death by this point. It's just not that interesting to witness a 9 year old with the voice of Aretha Franklin. They package it in such a way to make us feel a sense of awe, but we've seen it 100 times before. That should astound and amaze you but after 20 years of such shows it just does nothing.

We weren't designed to contend with the mass media.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'd be more inclined to watch those shows if they got rid of the "feels" and the idiots/crap contestants (the ones who are shown because they're so bad). Show me talent, not a back story.

• Advertisement

Taking pride of living a day in the life like clockwork:

"I rise each morning @ 6am sharp. Wash etc between 6 and 6 30.

Breakfast 6.30 to 7 when I always have my favourite bowl of kellogg's frosties........."

Fek off.

Less grumpy today. The aul venting is great in small doses. :D

I forgot a couple:

The Tommy Tiernan chat show... so much pretentious cooing about it that you'd swear Tiernan and the producers had created a perpetual motion machine or formulated some ingenious unified field theory. A chat show is a chat show is a chat show. This version just happens to have added ignorance (no knowledge of who the guests will be) as a gimmick... Such dramatic tension :rolleyes:

TV in general.

same here - happy with a blue sky, about 23 degrees and a light breeze.. don't like it any hotter.. I don't do sun holidays for that reason either

I’m even weirder. I love hot sun and cool breeze. Like we are getting today.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭boardlady

I'm going to have to agree with a few here - the trad music in pubs and christmas definitely.

My own weird dislike which is almost to the point of being a phobia, is phones. Not a ringing phone, but the sound of someone either talking on speaker, or something else being played - like someone watching a tiktok, or a snapchat video or something on utube. I think it is the complete lack of bass from phone speakers. My skin actually crawls when I hear noise coming from someone's phone and I will snap at family if they turn on a loud video when i'm in the room!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭sporina

boardlady wrote: »
    I'm going to have to agree with a few here - the trad music in pubs and christmas definitely.

My own weird dislike which is almost to the point of being a phobia, is phones. Not a ringing phone, but the sound of someone either talking on speaker, or something else being played - like someone watching a tiktok, or a snapchat video or something on utube. I think it is the complete lack of bass from phone speakers. My skin actually crawls when I hear noise coming from someone's phone and I will snap at family if they turn on a loud video when i'm in the room!

i would agree... and it astonishes me how people don't seem to realise how rude/wrong it is to do this... thats what headphone are for!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Taking pride of living a day in the life like clockwork:

"I rise each morning @ 6am sharp. Wash etc between 6 and 6 30.

Breakfast 6.30 to 7 when I always have my favourite bowl of kellogg's frosties........."

Fek off.

Used to see that on the mums group on FB I vacated. Someone would ask for recipe ideas for weaning and you'd get fifty thousand bored mothers posting their entire smug, sanctimonious mommy Olympics Day. Oh we have a kale smoothie at 6am and then sensory sessions until 7. Brisk jog with the (drop the brand name of expensive jogging buggy) then kippers with breastmilk for lunch. Gack. F*ck off would ya. I often resisted the urge to lie and ruffle them a bit by saying if ours woke at 6 we'd give her calpol and shout at her until she went back to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

i would agree... and it astonishes me how people don't seem to realise how rude/wrong it is to do this... thats what headphone are for!

Hate people , invariably teens, sharing' their sh1tty music on sh1tty phone speakers with everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Shots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭Firblog

Cheese, Tomato (Pizza), Cats, Veg (except in a soup) Mushrooms (in anything)

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Seafood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

The programme Friends

I dislike when there's a thread called "things you don't like that everyone else does" but the majority seem to post about things they just dislike, even though a lot of people dislike them too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

The programme Friends

It used to just kill my mood. I found it so jarring to watch. It's not that I find the jokes insensitive or crass or outdated which you see a lot of online, if anything it was too safe and lame. I don't particularly reminisce fondly on the 90's and Friends epitomises that 90's feel.

I dislike when there's a thread called "things you don't like that everyone else does" but the majority seem to post about things they just dislike, even though a lot of people dislike them too ;)

I don’t think there is anything people could say they disliked and others wouldn’t dislike it too really. People aren’t as unique as they think. Perhaps amongst their friend group or generation or nationality.

It used to just kill my mood. I found it so jarring to watch. It's not that I find the jokes insensitive or crass or outdated which you see a lot of online, if anything it was too safe and lame. I don't particularly reminisce fondly on the 90's and Friends epitomises that 90's feel.

We didn't call it 'Fiends' for no reason

YellowLead wrote: »
    I don’t think there is anything people could say they disliked and others wouldn’t dislike it too really. People aren’t as unique as they think. Perhaps amongst their friend group or generation or nationality.

there are lots of things... eg: some dislike tv, spuds, pubs, sunshine etc... thats uncommon.. however disliking things like pickles, brandy, keffir, etc... not v uncommon! lots of people dislike things such as those.

its as if the title of the thread is "things you dislike. full stop."

there are lots of things... eg: some dislike tv, spuds, pubs, sunshine etc... thats uncommon.. however disliking things like pickles, brandy, keffir, etc... not v uncommon! lots of people dislike things such as those.

I don’t think those things that you listed are rare at all! So it’s all very subjective.

Now that you mention it, I find semi-colons bloody annoying even on the rare occasions they're used correctly.

What's your issue w/ full stops though? :pac:

Now that you mention it, I find semi-colons bloody annoying even on the rare occasions they're used correctly.

What's your issue w/ full stops though? :pac:

they are not semi-colons.. they are inverted commas.. lol...

regarding the "full stop" - I was making a point!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,442 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

People who think spelling and grammar doesn't matter once the message is understood.
    Any reality show, particularly, Love Island, everybody raving about it 2 years ago and I just ignored the whole thing.
    Brennan's bread.
    Spice Bags
    Chicken Fillet Rolls
    Crisp sandwiches. I just don't get it
    Cider
    Stag Parties
    Anything to do with monarchies
    Prioritizing all spending for homeless people

Advertisement