Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Old Days on RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭bobbyss

DeepBlue wrote:
    Michael Lyster was presenting and they had a male reporter (whoever was the Marty Morissey of the time) bringing a report from after a women's match (it could have been a camoige or ladies football match). After the report the lads in the studio make a joke something along the lines about how the reporter wouldn't have minded doing his report from the showers or something similar like that - a tad risque. The panel crack up and get on with the show. The following week Michael Lyster starts the show and his first task is to apologise for the joke from the previous week. He has a big smirk on his face and it's obvious that he thinks it's a bit ridiculous that he has to apologise for what was only a light-hearted bit of banter and his panel also seem to agree. The show goes on. The following week after that Michael again has to apologise - this time for not taking the issue seriously and his half assed apology the week before. This time he's totally serious and all joking and taking the mick has disappeared.

DeepBlue wrote:
    It was an episode of the Sunday Game from probably the mid-eighties I think (plus or minus a few years). I'm pretty sure it would have been around the time that Enda Colleran was one of their main football analysts.

DeepBlue wrote:
    Tbh this is so long ago that I'm vague about the details but the overall gist is what I remember. I'd love to know if anyone else remembers it or just simply to confirm it did happen and I didn't just imagine it.

DeepBlue wrote:
    It was an episode of the Sunday Game from probably the mid-eighties I think (plus or minus a few years). I'm pretty sure it would have been around the time that Enda Colleran was one of their main football analysts.

DeepBlue wrote:
    Michael Lyster was presenting and they had a male reporter (whoever was the Marty Morissey of the time) bringing a report from after a women's match (it could have been a camoige or ladies football match). After the report the lads in the studio make a joke something along the lines about how the reporter wouldn't have minded doing his report from the showers or something similar like that - a tad risque. The panel crack up and get on with the show. The following week Michael Lyster starts the show and his first task is to apologise for the joke from the previous week. He has a big smirk on his face and it's obvious that he thinks it's a bit ridiculous that he has to apologise for what was only a light-hearted bit of banter and his panel also seem to agree. The show goes on. The following week after that Michael again has to apologise - this time for not taking the issue seriously and his half assed apology the week before. This time he's totally serious and all joking and taking the mick has disappeared.

DeepBlue wrote:
    Tbh this is so long ago that I'm vague about the details but the overall gist is what I remember. I'd love to know if anyone else remembers it or just simply to confirm it did happen and I didn't just imagine it.

DeepBlue wrote:

I don't have anything about that I'm afraid. But I would like to know more. It'd be interesting to see if there was anything writren in the papers about it at rhe time. And to know who was on tbe panel. Mick Dunne would have been a commentator back then but not necessarily a reporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,961 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Nearly 100% sure it wasn’t staged- I remember watching it as it happened.

Someone, possibly Davis himself, put his hand on the woman’s shoulder or quite possibly around her waist, I just can’t remember- nothing untoward as such, just the usual condescending type of act most male presenters would do to female guests back then as they were about to sign off for the end of show- the woman didn’t like this at all and said something like “ get your hands off me”- Davis tried to ignore her as he was focusing on signing off the show and said something like “ don’t worry dear it’s ok” or similar- well, this was like a red rag and next thing he knew, he was getting a good taste of on yer back wrestling :D I think a stage hand or producer ran onto the set saying “ this is a live show” - then it cut.

So, how’s my memory of that event then? :P
    I remember she got him in a headlock and he was down on his knees. The stage hand ran on (he was a small guy with a moustache) and was sort of remonstrating, while trying to get her off Derek. She kept saying "nobody touches me", pushed yer man onto his back and then kicked him( in the head I think) while he was on the ground. I remember just at this moment the camera panned to Derek and he had a handkerchief up to his nose. The camera went back to the stage hand who was trying to remonstrate with yer wan while she was pushing him backwards while she kept saying nobody touches me, then she threw him onto Derek's desk which collapsed (seemed to be made of very flimsy material). It went on for quite a while, the camera kept rolling then Derek said something like "I'll be back next Autumn if I'm still alive" then the credits rolled.

Very little info online about but it this article briefly refers to it and confirms it was an English wrestler called Tina Starr who was involved.

https://www.meathchronicle.ie/2008/08/13/top-wrestlers-book-october-date-in-ratoath/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

bobbyss wrote: »
    There were lots of country and western programmes. The Brendan Shine Show, the Larry Cunningham Show, the Big Tom Show etc.
    They all had the same routine. Brendan would sing two or three songs. Then introduce his 'special guest eg Larry Cunningham. Break. Repeat. Maybe a duet towards the end.
    The Larry Cunningham Show would be exactly the same. The special guest would be .... Brendan Shine.
    A dearth of imagination going on there.

Tg4 seems to be their home now...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭George White

Cha and Miah, just goes to show that giving chronically unfunny cnuts their own slot on RTE is not a new phenomenon.

One of them was a butler in a really dreadful, chintzy ITV TV movie shot here about the young Charles and Camilla, starring Laurence Fox as Charles.

One of them was a butler in a really dreadful, chintzy ITV TV movie shot here about the young Charles and Camilla, starring Laurence Fox as Charles.

I'm guessing that was Michael Twomey, the tall one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

briany wrote: »
    Yeah, that's what I thought as well. If I had to guess - I've heard he's friends with Dave Fanning, he lives near enough to Donnybrook and was off tour, and maybe they promised him free drink afterward.

Also, they can cut these a series of this type of show in not much time at all, and Elliott may have only done one series, because Gerry Ryan replaced him. It's hard to find much info on this show.

Edit: After more research, it appears he replaced Gerry Ryan.

No , Joe Eilliot replaced Gerry Ryan , at least for a while he did , perhaps Ryan returned ?

i remember it though was not a regular watcher as i was ten or eleven

Nearly 100% sure it wasn’t staged- I remember watching it as it happened.

Someone, possibly Davis himself, put his hand on the woman’s shoulder or quite possibly around her waist, I just can’t remember- nothing untoward as such, just the usual condescending type of act most male presenters would do to female guests back then as they were about to sign off for the end of show- the woman didn’t like this at all and said something like “ get your hands off me”- Davis tried to ignore her as he was focusing on signing off the show and said something like “ don’t worry dear it’s ok” or similar- well, this was like a red rag and next thing he knew, he was getting a good taste of on yer back wrestling :D I think a stage hand or producer ran onto the set saying “ this is a live show” - then it cut.

So, how’s my memory of that event then? :P

she must have had some strength , Davis was a good twenty stone

They were tax exiles in Ireland, so they had to find something to fill in the days.

really ? , i dont remember Denis o Brien or Tony o Reilly featuring on the show

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I'm guessing that was Michael Twomey, the tall one?

I was just looking up some info about him. On Hall's Pictorial Weekly, Michael Twomey was Miah and Frank Duggan was Chah. I wasn't 100% sure on the names of the actors until now. I do remember that they also played some other random characters in the show.

On the subject of Number One, was David Heffernan the original host, and then Ian Dempsey, or was it the other way around? So long ago now!

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    she must have had some strength , Davis was a good twenty stone

The bould Tina is here in the pink leotard, quite a tall athletic lass but yeah Derek was a big guy which is one of the reasons I had my doubts about it being real. I dont remember him fighting back or physically trying to disengage with her. She clearly had a good deal of strength as she sent the male stage hand flying through the air, he wasnt a stuntman either as I remembered previously seeing him on the show directing something involving the audience.

• Advertisement

I never understood this Def Lepard thing. They were an English pop group who lived in Ireland briefly for tax reasons? And they were famous? Never heard of them. Did they do Slane or Glastonbury? I don't know any of their songs .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I never understood this Def Lepard thing. They were an English pop group who lived in Ireland briefly for tax reasons? And they were famous? Never heard of them. Did they do Slane or Glastonbury? I don't know any of their songs .

Never a fan personally, would struggle to name a single song, but i stumbled on a list of the biggest selling all time artists and Def Leppard were in the top 50, just in front of Bob Dylan, so obviously had their appeal.

Def Leppard are a rock band from Sheffield who initially did better in the US than the UK. They hit the big time in the mid to late 1980s with their album Hysteria - a number of tracks from it were hit singles this side of the world.

Def Leppard are a rock band from Sheffield who initially did better in the US than the UK. They hit the big time in the mid to late 1980s with their album Hysteria - a number of tracks from it were hit singles this side of the world.

The older brother was a big fan of then around this time. People who were into Bon Jovi were generally also fans of Def Leppard. Personally hated them but they were very big for a while.

The older brother was a big fan of then around this time. People who were into Bon Jovi were generally also fans of Def Leppard. Personally hated them but they were very big for a while.

i would not have been a fan myself but they were not as sh1t as Bon Jovi

one of the better hair metal acts which isnt saying much

they were extremely successful however and as big as U2 for about two years circa 1987 to 1989

i would not have been a fan myself but they were not as sh1t as Bon Jovi

one of the better hair metal acts which isnt saying much

they were extremely successful however and as big as U2 for about two years circa 1987 to 1989

Yeah, I read a description of them online recently that said they were metal for people who wernt really Into metal. They faded from the public consciousness in the early 90s like a lot of the hair metal groups.

Yeah, I read a description of them online recently that said they were metal for people who wernt really Into metal. They faded from the public consciousness in the early 90s like a lot of the hair metal groups.

I would never have considered Def Leppard a heavy metal band. To me, they were a fairly mainstream rock band that, on occasions, overlapped with heavy rock. I suppose, to be fair, "hair metal" was a phrase coined to describe the hairstyle of certain bands more so than their actual music.

Anybody remember Leave it To Mrs O'Brien...or should that be anybody forget? :(

I would never have considered Def Leppard a heavy metal band. To me, they were a fairly mainstream rock band that, on occasions, overlapped with heavy rock. I suppose, to be fair, "hair metal" was a phrase coined to describe the hairstyle of certain bands more so than their actual music.

" hair metal " was a derogotary term but at the end of the day metal was a bit of a joke in the late eighties , Def Lepard were less pop orientated when they started out in the early eighties

rock of ages isnt a bad tune , i do have a soft spot for them , id go see them quicker than bon jovi ( if i got a ticket for free ) , sometimes you can accept that a band is sh1t while still sort of like their tunes

" hair metal " was a derogotary term but at the end of the day metal was a bit of a joke in the late eighties , Def Lepard were less pop orientated when they started out in the early eighties

rock of ages isnt a bad tune , i do have a soft spot for them , id go see them quicker than bon jovi ( if i got a ticket for free ) , sometimes you can accept that a band is sh1t while still sort of like their tunes

I liked about three songs by Bon Jovi but more songs by Def Leppard, including Rock of Ages. I saw Def Leppard live on the tv and they do put in a good live performance. I don't think there as bad as some are painting. If Bon Jovi were dodgy, the solo stuff by Jon Bon Jovi was horrendous, except for one Christmas cover that gets played every year!

• Advertisement

Anybody remember Leave it To Mrs O'Brien...or should that be anybody forget? :(

Complete laugh free zone unless you count the canned laughter. Was popular with older set, my Grandmother liked it.

Then there was Rin Tin Tin. An Alsatian now a GSD. Can't remember exactly what it was about except a boy saying 'Rinty'.
    Was Flipper some kind of police dolphin solving crimes from the sea? Flipper would make his noises and they would say: 'And where did they go Flipper?' But that might have been Lassie?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Then there was Rin Tin Tin. An Alsatian now a GSD. Can't remember exactly what it was about except a boy saying 'Rinty'.
    Was Flipper some kind of police dolphin solving crimes from the sea? Flipper would make his noises and they would say: 'And where did they go Flipper?' But that might have been Lassie?

I remember Katts and Dog. A uniformed cop with a dog... might have been called Rinty.
    It was another Canadian import, late 80s to early 90s on RTE.

ALIBI are airing a very similar series right now, Hudson & Rex, this time Hudson is a detective. Also Canadian.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

On the subject of transmission times, unless some special event intervened, for years RTE opened at 5:30 pm in winter (always with a children's programme) and 6:00 pm in summer when it was assumed I suppose that all the children were out in the wild heather.

Closedown was nearly always before midnight, again unless somehing special was happening.

Don't forget Skippy - The Bush Kangaroo

Don't forget Skippy - The Bush Kangaroo

One of my favourite shows as a kid

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Advertisement

Advertisement