Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Old Days on RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

# Prime Example: Quite a good many of the betterWanderly Wagon episodes.

So short sighted after all the effort gone into making it

So short sighted after all the effort gone into making it
    Or internal Politics?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

It was commonplace up to about the late 70s for tapes to be wiped. The BBC did it too, loads of episodes of Dr Who, early Dads Army and other stuff now considered classic was wiped as tapes were very expensive and at the time there wasnt seen to be any long term value in keeping them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Gabriel Byrne as a farmer in Bracken.
    The Live Mike.
    Themla Mansfield and Derek Davis presenting Live at Three.
    Rapid Roulette.
    Mini series about the IRA called The Price.
    Where in the World.
    Debates between Charlie and Garrett on Today Tonight.
    Sports Stadium.
    Know your Sport.

Youngline

Like "$hit, we better produce a series for the teen audience"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The Price is on DVD. Only because it was a Channel 4 co-production.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Various programs presented by Aine O'Connor such as Last House, First House and Summer House, the latter with Vincent Hanley.

Megamix presented by Flo McSweeney and Kevin Sharkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,559 ✭✭✭✭briany

Before Never Mind the Buzzcocks on BBC, RTE had its own music quiz panel show called Number One, featuring Ian Dempsey as host, plus Dave Fanning and Joe Elliot from Def Leppard as team captains.

Gerry Ryan used to do that greeting thing with his hands every single time he was on this, found it really annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

furiousox wrote: »
    Some of the ads were a photograph of a shop/premises with a voice telling you where it is rather than actual video.

If you wanted "proper adverts" you had to switch channel to either UTV or HTV (if you were lucky enough to have either of them), we must be talking early-mid 70s here.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

furiousox wrote: »
    Some of the ads were a photograph of a shop/premises with a voice telling you where it is rather than actual video.

The Apres Match lads absolutely nailed this a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Does anyone know why Nighthawks was cancelled?

I was reading Shay Healy's obituary and was struck that it only ran for 4 years. The show I'd compare it to now is possibly the Tommy Tiernan show in that it appeared to be nothing much, but actually it was completely groundbreaking and was compelling viewing.

And yet only lasted a few years, compared the 10 or 15 years we had of Pat Kenny hosting the Late Late.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Does anyone know why Nighthawks was cancelled?

I was reading Shay Healy's obituary and was struck that it only ran for 4 years. The show I'd compare it to now is possibly the Tommy Tiernan show in that it appeared to be nothing much, but actually it was completely groundbreaking and was compelling viewing.

And yet only lasted a few years, compared the 10 or 15 years we had of Pat Kenny hosting the Late Late.

It may or may not have been due to the controversial interview with Sean Gallagher in January 92, it was cancelled in April of that year. The 1993 end date given here is incorrect.

The Sullivans : Start of programs on RTE 2 at 5.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

Lest we be all carried away with nostalgia, it is interesting how much religion was on RTE in the sixties and early seventies:

This is the schedule for Good Friday 1967:

15:00 The Stations Of The Cross
    15:30 The Story Of The Holy Shroud
    16:00 Combined Protestant Service
    16:30 News and Closedown

That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

cml387 wrote: »
    Lest we be all carried away with nostalgia, it is interesting how much religion was on RTE in the sixties and early seventies:

This is the schedule for Good Friday 1967:

15:00 The Stations Of The Cross
    15:30 The Story Of The Holy Shroud
    16:00 Combined Protestant Service
    16:30 News and Closedown

That's it.

Love that idea!

Love that idea!

Well to be fair there would be multiple denominations.....

It may or may not have been due to the controversial interview with Sean Gallagher in January 92, it was cancelled in April of that year. The 1993 end date given here is incorrect.

Incidentally - regarding what is one of the most seminal moments of Irish broadasting history, isnt it amazing that RTE release a video of the interview - nearly 30 years later - but without the relevant quote (on how Charlie Haughey was aware of the wire tap).

Seriously.....

briany wrote: »
    Before Never Mind the Buzzcocks on BBC, RTE had its own music quiz panel show called Number One, featuring Ian Dempsey as host, plus Dave Fanning and Joe Elliot from Def Leppard as team captains.

Joe Elliot looked like he was going murder Dave fanning in that :)

• Advertisement

Joe Elliot looked like he was going murder Dave fanning in that :)

I can't believe they got Joe to do the show. I know he's lived in Ireland for a long time, but Leppard were still pretty current when this show first aired and you'd think he'd have took one look at the rinky-dink set and that the audience was apparently made up of 12 years olds, and gone, 'Actually....nah."

Here's another one. Brendan O' Carrol's Hot Milk & Pepper. I can't believe I may have actually looked forward to watching this at one point.

Telethon with Gay Byrne. starting about 1990.

At the climax of the show, Gay auctioned a cool full spec motorbike. The auction kind of went bad though, because Gay tried to get the final 2 bidders to bid more. And then it gave things a bad taste

Telethon with Gay Byrne. starting about 1990.

At the climax of the show, Gay auctioned a cool full spec motorbike. The auction kind of went bad though, because Gay tried to get the final 2 bidders to bid more. And then it gave things a bad taste

I remember those telethons. One year they were going to have this cool 3D segment, and the glasses were available in supermarkets. I got a pair, but they never worked. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Live Aid 1985

Freddie Mercury was the man of the moment that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Various programs presented by Aine O'Connor such as Last House, First House and Summer House, the latter with Vincent Hanley.

Summerhouse. Wasn't that preented by Aine O'Connor and Tom McGurk? I remember McGurk being kept waiting a while for a late Rod Stewart and Tom reminding Rod how long he had been kept waiting.

It was f**ed up

From memory.
    40 coats had a flying sweet/trick shop
    He had two school children sidekicks in their mid 40s. Slightly bonkers and so far so good ?

There was a witch villain who had a puppet cat

All the backdrops were hand drawn

It had a pickarooney who used to say “I’m the pickarooney”
    It was f**ed up

Just a few more memories about Fortycoats that popped into into my head. As well as the Whirlygig Witch and the Pickarooney there were one off villains, though calling them villains is a bit of a stretch as by the end of the episode theyd see the error of their ways and join in a sing song. Can only really remember two, one was a Boadicia type woman who at the end of a sentence would sing her dialogue like an opera singer causing those around her to cover their ears.

The other was a giant who would eat cars. This was conveyed by showing a cardboard mockup of a street with toy dinky cars outside houses and a hand reaching down grabbing them. (No expense was spared on special effects) if I remember correctly he tries to eat the flying tuckshop.

The other was a giant who would eat cars. This was conveyed by showing a cardboard mockup of a street with toy dinky cars outside houses and a hand reaching down grabbing them. (No expense was spared on special effects)

The "Fortycoats" "solution" was that if the cars had reg plates saying "for reg" then the giant could eat them. (In these days, you could drive about for a few weeks while your registration plate proper was issued, in the meantime your new car would have a cardboard "for reg" as substitute.

A segment of the show was this giant singing some stupid song, too. cheap filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

briany wrote: »

Makes you wonder why Joe elliot would bother ? , Def Lepard were as big as U2 in the late eighties?

The "Fortycoats" "solution" was that if the cars had reg plates saying "for reg" then the giant could eat them. (In these days, you could drive about for a few weeks while your registration plate proper was issued, in the meantime your new car would have a cardboard "for reg" as substitute.

A segment of the show was this giant singing some stupid song, too. cheap filler.

Lol, that's right. The giant, when seen in full was a big fat guy in a loincloth.

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Makes you wonder why Joe elliot would bother ? , Def Lepard were as big as U2 in the late eighties?

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. If I had to guess - I've heard he's friends with Dave Fanning, he lives near enough to Donnybrook and was off tour, and maybe they promised him free drink afterward.

Also, they can cut these a series of this type of show in not much time at all, and Elliott may have only done one series, because Gerry Ryan replaced him. It's hard to find much info on this show.

Edit: After more research, it appears he replaced Gerry Ryan.

Advertisement