Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Old Days on RTE

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

I remember Derek Davis being battered by the wrestler as well. I figured it was set up as it was the very last item in the final show in the series. Also the desk appeared enormously flimsy so I figured that it was a stand in they kitted up so no serious injury was done.

Post edited by squonk on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Going Strong was also repeated on Sunday mornings. Was on in the late 1970s too.

Not entertaining - for me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

"Living in the Desert: The Adventures of Scrapiron O'Toole" was an obscure low-budget educational documentary made in Texas, that bizarrely ended up being shown primetime on The Den around 1993.

The entire internet seems to have repressed the memory of it, there's barely any evidence it even existed.

Ray Darcy started apologising before each episode because it was so hated. They had a little celebration when the last episode aired.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only person who has any memory of this happening. How or why it ended up on RTE is anyone's guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

Saw the clip on your article. I was in first year of secondary school when that show aired. It was only much later I realised how utterly crap the mud/late 80s was here kind wise, and this was the best they could do? You ready have to wonder. It’s utterly shít that they pretty much recommended expiration in the end. I can it if concede in the mid 90s and was insulated from most of the harsh reality through being a kid, a teenager and college student and thugs had injected vastly by the time I graduated.

• Advertisement

It's mentioned on the Wikipedia entry for Network 2.

I have a vague recollection of something like that. I lived with a guy who would tape The Den and watch it later. Presumably it was dirt cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Couched, comedy sketch show that ran on Network 2 towards the end of 1998 late at night. Some of the Apre Match team were involved in it. As well as regular sketches it used to show snippits from the RTE archives and dub over them. In those pre YouTube days it was a big novelty. I couldn't stop laughing at this particular bit, especially as I'm just about old enough to remember the original (Cathal Dunne, Happy Man. Ireland Eurovision entry 79)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Does anyone remember the week Simon Young stood in on the Den and he and Dustin did a spoof each day of some of the RTE shows of the day like Glenroe? Would love to see those again!

Advertisement