Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Old Days on RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    " hair metal " was a derogotary term but at the end of the day metal was a bit of a joke in the late eighties , Def Lepard were less pop orientated when they started out in the early eighties

rock of ages isnt a bad tune , i do have a soft spot for them , id go see them quicker than bon jovi ( if i got a ticket for free ) , sometimes you can accept that a band is sh1t while still sort of like their tunes

Metal was joke in 80s? That’s hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭bobbyss

There was a programme I think on Sunday night about students at an American law school. John Houseman was the professor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users Posts: 28,465 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

bobbyss wrote: »
    There was a programme I think on Sunday night about students at an American law school. John Houseman was the professor.

The Paper Chase? Very earnest stuff.

I remember it being repeated midweek maybe early 90s.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Very little info online about but it this article briefly refers to it and confirms it was an English wrestler called Tina Starr who was involved.

https://www.meathchronicle.ie/2008/08/13/top-wrestlers-book-october-date-in-ratoath/
    The bould Tina is here in the pink leotard, quite a tall athletic lass but yeah Derek was a big guy which is one of the reasons I had my doubts about it being real. I dont remember him fighting back or physically trying to disengage with her. She clearly had a good deal of strength as she sent the male stage hand flying through the air, he wasnt a stuntman either as I remembered previously seeing him on the show directing something involving the audience.

Ah lads this is brilliant :D

I love this thread:)

• Advertisement

adaminho wrote: »

That was a staple on the RTE schedule for many years back in the 70's

Gold

“We was mimin anywoy”

Early-mid 80s kids TV- this will bring a few of ya back in time- of course, brought to you by?????

....the Children's Television Workshop :D

I saw this on tv live and even as a kid I figured out Gary Moore litterally raised the roof , just look at the audience after :)

And Saturday mornings slightly into Saturday afternoon - Salvage 1 with Andy Griffith - great opening theme.

So, REALLY interested to see who remembers this.

When RTE2 first came on the scene, this was one of it's first soaps it showed- I think it was actually the first programme on most evenings (around 6.30pm ) for about a year - Ryan's Hope

Any takers?

I remember one storyline played out over about a week or two, where Richard Thomas, who played John Boy in the Waltons, kidnapped some nurse or doctor he was infatuated with

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

So, REALLY interested to see who remembers this.

When RTE2 first came on the scene, this was one of it's first soaps it showed- I think it was actually the first programme on most evenings (around 6.30pm ) for about a year - Ryan's Hope

Any takers?

I remember one storyline played out over about a week or two, where Richard Thomas, who played John Boy in the Waltons, kidnapped some nurse or doctor he was infatuated with

That vaguely rings a bell.

Early-mid 80s kids TV- this will bring a few of ya back in time- of course, brought to you by?????

....the Children's Television Workshop :D

I see you and raise you the best intro's ever!

Ulysses and cities of gold wow!

Ulysses and cities of gold wow!

See also

Can't remember if this was shown in Ireland but remember it being on for every Spanish holiday I went on in the 80's

• Advertisement

An incomplete List of American tv series imports CHiPs

Dallas
    Star Trek TNG
    The Six million dollar man
    The Fall Guy
    Scarecrow and Mrs King
    JAG
    Cagney & Lacey
    Green Acres
    Dr Strange Island

• Registered Users Posts: 16,387 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Jody was fine.

I was a bit too young to realise it when I was watching first time round :D

Jody was fine.

I was a bit too young to realise it when I was watching first time round :D

Can anyone remember those scratch transfer sets you used to get back in the 80's? I had one for this show!

Dallas
    Star Trek TNG
    The Six million dollar man
    The Fall Guy
    Scarecrow and Mrs King
    JAG
    Cagney & Lacey
    Green Acres
    Dr Strange Island
    You may have solved a life long mystery for me :) I’ll confirm later

I loved ChiPs as a kid and Erik Estrada was was my favourite. One of my Grandmothers best friends was a set dresser in Hollywood and managed to get me an autograph back in the day!

You may have solved a life long mystery for me :) I’ll confirm later

Great. Trivial Things that make me (oh, wait that's another thread)

may favourite

Great. Trivial Things that make me (oh, wait that's another thread)

Ok you were incorrect with dr strange but a quick Google turned up “mystery island “ which left a huge impression in my imagination since I was a kid and rte on anything goes burnt the tapes on air on the lawn :)

Any as a 5 year old these native creatures freaked me out :)

I see you and raise you the best intro's ever!

Rubbish! :P

I see your lame effort and raise you 3 Intro versions of ....The Paper Chase :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Def Leppard are a rock band from Sheffield who initially did better in the US than the UK. They hit the big time in the mid to late 1980s with their album Hysteria - a number of tracks from it were hit singles this side of the world.

Hysteria is the Thriller of hard rock. Released late summer 1987; the hits continued into 1989.

Their previous albums are great too. There was an excellent Early Years box released recently

Advertisement