Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Old Days on RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Bubba9

Daithi Lacha
    Jackpot (with Terry Wogan)
    SBB with Graine Gleoite
    The Life Of O’Reilly (with Brendan O’Reilly)
    Swallows & Amazons
    Newsbeat
    Lolek & Bolek
    Like Now (RTE’s answer to Top of the Pops)
    Martin Cluxton
    Tombstone Territory
    Jimmy O’Dea telling kids stories by candlelight

Baking program with Darina Allen. Recorded on our VHS Mitsubishi M60 video recorder.

Davis At Large which ran from 84 to 86. First season closed with Derek and some of the crew being attacked by a female wrestler. I've never quite been able to decide if it was staged or not. It's up there in my wishlist of lost footage to turn up.

Nearly 100% sure it wasn’t staged- I remember watching it as it happened.

Someone, possibly Davis himself, put his hand on the woman’s shoulder or quite possibly around her waist, I just can’t remember- nothing untoward as such, just the usual condescending type of act most male presenters would do to female guests back then as they were about to sign off for the end of show- the woman didn’t like this at all and said something like “ get your hands off me”- Davis tried to ignore her as he was focusing on signing off the show and said something like “ don’t worry dear it’s ok” or similar- well, this was like a red rag and next thing he knew, he was getting a good taste of on yer back wrestling :D I think a stage hand or producer ran onto the set saying “ this is a live show” - then it cut.

So, how’s my memory of that event then? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

If the Cap Fits with Niall Tobin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Makes you wonder why Joe elliot would bother ? , Def Lepard were as big as U2 in the late eighties?

They were tax exiles in Ireland, so they had to find something to fill in the days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,581 ✭✭✭✭briany

One thing about the old days on RTE - and this would probably sound to kids like an uphill both ways story - but programming mightn't start until 3 in the afternoon, and it would be pages from Aertel up 'til then. And we had a brutal aerial as well, so there'd be times in the winter when RTE was all we could pick up, so that meant only 2 channels, neither of which broadcast 24 hours of programming. Really sounds like the dark ages now.

I wonder is anyone's parents still in the habit of not putting the TV on until 6 in the evening when the Angelus plays?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Nearly 100% sure it wasn’t staged- I remember watching it as it happened.

Someone, possibly Davis himself, put his hand on the woman’s shoulder or quite possibly around her waist, I just can’t remember- nothing untoward as such, just the usual condescending type of act most male presenters would do to female guests back then as they were about to sign off for the end of show- the woman didn’t like this at all and said something like “ get your hands off me”- Davis tried to ignore her as he was focusing on signing off the show and said something like “ don’t worry dear it’s ok” or similar- well, this was like a red rag and next thing he knew, he was getting a good taste of on yer back wrestling :D I think a stage hand or producer ran onto the set saying “ this is a live show” - then it cut.

So, how’s my memory of that event then? :P

I remember she got him in a headlock and he was down on his knees. The stage hand ran on (he was a small guy with a moustache) and was sort of remonstrating, while trying to get her off Derek. She kept saying "nobody touches me", pushed yer man onto his back and then kicked him( in the head I think) while he was on the ground. I remember just at this moment the camera panned to Derek and he had a handkerchief up to his nose. The camera went back to the stage hand who was trying to remonstrate with yer wan while she was pushing him backwards while she kept saying nobody touches me, then she threw him onto Derek's desk which collapsed (seemed to be made of very flimsy material). It went on for quite a while, the camera kept rolling then Derek said something like "I'll be back next Autumn if I'm still alive" then the credits rolled.

Davis could have leveraged his weight advantage, there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,390 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

When Padraig Flynn crashed and burned live on The Late Late Show.

I remember watching Questions and Answers when Michael O Brien spoke about the abuse he suffered and how the Government seemed powerless to do anything to make the church do the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,915 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Cha and Miah, just goes to show that giving chronically unfunny cnuts their own slot on RTE is not a new phenomenon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

When Padraig Flynn crashed and burned live on The Late Late Show.

I remember watching Questions and Answers when Michael O Brien spoke about the abuse he suffered and how the Government seemed powerless to do anything to make the church do the right thing.

Gay Byrne said in his autobiography that he saw that Padraig was on fire and raring to go beforehand (presumably in the green room) and changed the order of guests so that Padraig came out first! Smart move! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Live Aid 1985

Freddie Mercury was the man of the moment that day.

Midge a close second for Vienna AMAZING

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭bobbyss

There were lots of country and western programmes. The Brendan Shine Show, the Larry Cunningham Show, the Big Tom Show etc.
    They all had the same routine. Brendan would sing two or three songs. Then introduce his 'special guest eg Larry Cunningham. Break. Repeat. Maybe a duet towards the end.
    The Larry Cunningham Show would be exactly the same. The special guest would be .... Brendan Shine.
    A dearth of imagination going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Sunday night at the Olympia + Sunday night at the Gaiety

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Midge a close second for Vienna AMAZING
    I thought status quo as openin act stole the show until fredie and Queen arrived on stage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

bobbyss wrote: »
    There were lots of country and western programmes. The Brendan Shine Show, the Larry Cunningham Show, the Big Tom Show etc.
    They all had the same routine. Brendan would sing two or three songs. Then introduce his 'special guest eg Larry Cunningham. Break. Repeat. Maybe a duet towards the end.
    The Larry Cunningham Show would be exactly the same. The special guest would be .... Brendan Shine.

This sort of thing.

This sort of thing.

Ah Yes. TR Dallas. Margo.

The Rockford Files

cml387 wrote: »
    Lest we be all carried away with nostalgia, it is interesting how much religion was on RTE in the sixties and early seventies:

This is the schedule for Good Friday 1967:

15:00 The Stations Of The Cross
    15:30 The Story Of The Holy Shroud
    16:00 Combined Protestant Service
    16:30 News and Closedown

That's it.

In fairness, back then, if you had any sort of enjoyment on Good Friday you’d be off to hell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

In fairness, back then, if you had any sort of enjoyment on Good Friday you’d be off to hell :D

Yeah, Good Friday in Ireland during the 70s and 80s was grim. Nowhere open aside from petrol stations and the odd corner shop. The church service went on for ages. Fasting - plain food and nothing between meals. The television reflected that sparseness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭applehunter

Yeah, Good Friday in Ireland during the 70s and 80s was grim. Nowhere open aside from petrol stations and the odd corner shop. The church service went on for ages. Fasting - plain food and nothing between meals. The television reflected that sparseness.

Read up on Good Friday.

And the parental pressure was for grimness even though my parents were among the most broad minded of their day.

The 70s and 80s in Ireland were grim in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Can remember when Moncrief and the other comedian fella, name escapes me, used to do this show on weekend nights, a continuity type thing with a bit of tomfoolery thrown in, that I'd often watch after the pub and invariably fall asleep to. Was kind of weird, was it called The End maybe?

On Thursday night naybe 8-9 there was a sports programme and twenty minutes of it was English football.
    Grern Acres ' Darlin. I love you but give me Park Avenue..'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I wonder if anyone else remembers this.

It was an episode of the Sunday Game from probably the mid-eighties I think (plus or minus a few years). I'm pretty sure it would have been around the time that Enda Colleran was one of their main football analysts.

Michael Lyster was presenting and they had a male reporter (whoever was the Marty Morissey of the time) bringing a report from after a women's match (it could have been a camoige or ladies football match).
    After the report the lads in the studio make a joke something along the lines about how the reporter wouldn't have minded doing his report from the showers or something similar like that - a tad risque. The panel crack up and get on with the show.
    The following week Michael Lyster starts the show and his first task is to apologise for the joke from the previous week. He has a big smirk on his face and it's obvious that he thinks it's a bit ridiculous that he has to apologise for what was only a light-hearted bit of banter and his panel also seem to agree. The show goes on.
    The following week after that Michael again has to apologise - this time for not taking the issue seriously and his half assed apology the week before. This time he's totally serious and all joking and taking the mick has disappeared.

Tbh this is so long ago that I'm vague about the details but the overall gist is what I remember. I'd love to know if anyone else remembers it or just simply to confirm it did happen and I didn't just imagine it. :pac:

Can remember when Moncrief and the other comedian fella, name escapes me, used to do this show on weekend nights, a continuity type thing with a bit of tomfoolery thrown in, that I'd often watch after the pub and invariably fall asleep to. Was kind of weird, was it called The End maybe?

Yes, it was indeed called The End. Sean Moncrieff and Barry Murphy (of Apres Match fame). They used to show The Critic and Taxi, among others. The hosts would do bits of skits and take calls from drunk people. Good fun.

What I don't understand is why RTE don't do something like that again. Feck all people are watching RTE after midnight on a weekend anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

briany wrote: »
    Yes, it was indeed called The End. Sean Moncrieff and Barry Murphy (of Apres Match fame). They used to show The Critic and Taxi, among others. The hosts would do bits of skits and take calls from drunk people. Good fun.

What I don't understand is why RTE don't do something like that again. Feck all people are watching RTE after midnight on a weekend anyway.

Barry Murphy was the name i was thinking of. I remember the little skits he used to do between programmes alright and thinking they werent bad, though i was usually well filled up to the gills watching it. Forgot they used to show taxi which remains one of my all time favourite tv shows. That and phil silvers, honestly not convinced comedy shows were ever done better than those two gems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

bobbyss wrote: »

It feels like these kinds of shows - and you're right, there was a whole slew of them, with interchangeable acts welcoming on their old friends - were on 2 or 3 nights a week in the 1980s, slotted in between a gardening programme and some US comedy import.

But, all these years later, the same format show will form the centrepiece of a Friday night, in non-Covid times. Eg, Nathan Carter Show, Imelda May, etc.

Nothing changes really...

• Advertisement

Barry Murphy was the name i was thinking of. I remember the little skits he used to do between programmes alright and thinking they werent bad, though i was usually well filled up to the gills watching it. Forgot they used to show taxi which remains one of my all time favourite tv shows. That and phil silvers, honestly not convinced comedy shows were ever done better than those two gems.

The skits weren't that great, but in fairness it was one person trying to fill a solid hour of air time every weekend with no budget or time to really prepare. But my contention is that someone faffing around in this way is still *infinitely* better than Shortland Street.

Advertisement