Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The annual ASTI Easter strike threat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭enricoh

And enter the teacher haters . Can I ask if you all feel the same about SNAs ?

Our kids creche has been open since the start of the new year, all the girls are working away on a fraction of teachers wages.
    Some kids haven't been back to school since crimbo and the teachers unions are threatening to pull the plug already! Let them at it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

At least they are looking into it, what are we doing?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-56175893

This is the equivalent of July provision .

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Larsso30

.42. wrote: »
    The Government should let them strike and continue with the age groups.

100%

No more deserving that the Garda or tesco workers. Shameful carry on

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Isn't it both the secondary teachers' unions fault that a Leaving Cert student who has asthma was prevented from sitting an oral exam even though she had a medical exemption from the mask rule?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/teen-with-asthma-refused-entry-to-school-for-leaving-cert-oral-exam-as-she-was-not-wearing-mask-40274727.html

Her GP refused to
    stand over her “ exemption.”

They should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. What really needs to happen now is for revenue to start doing their job and go after these parasites for all the cash they have been trousering for grinds down through the years.

Here’s a thing . Never did grinds , never would .Report anyone you think has been abusing the system .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

This is not specifically against teachers. It is very much ASTI management who are very millitant and many of the string pullers are retired teachers.

Members are then given a very one sided argument that is very strong on hyperbole and not exactly balanced, thus creating a mood that ensures that whatever bullsh1t proposal is on the table it is guaranteed to pass.

Remember, many retired teachers are still members of ASTI and still hold voting rights

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

The teachers must be the most entitled bunch in Irish society* (only including those in society who work)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Jaysus teachers strike more often than the world ten pin bowling champion.

The teachers must be the most entitled bunch in Irish society* (only including those in society who work)

I wish someone had the balls to come out and face up to teachers. They claim "we're in an enclosed space with 30 kids a day!!!!" yet shop workers are far worse....they actually touch products touched by customers all day long coming into contact with a couple hundred people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭griffin100

If you believe the public health rationale for vaccinating by age, then what teachers are looking to do is to bump those who are more likely to die from Covid down the vaccination waiting list for their own benefit. Classy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Pussyhands wrote: »
    I wish someone had the balls to come out and face up to teachers. They claim "we're in an enclosed space with 30 kids a day!!!!" yet shop workers are far worse....they actually touch products touched by customers all day long coming into contact with a couple hundred people.

Firstly any shop I have been in the shopworjers have gloves. Secondly, It is now recognised as aerosol transmission. Thirdly, supermarkets were also very quick with perspex on cash tills by end of May last year, and carry out the following safety measures; limited numbers instore, sd, handwashing, masks, mechanical ventilation, high ceilings, space, customers dont spend 5 hours instore, perspex at tills, gloves, antigen testing due to start lidl staff.

Schools have hand sanitiser no sd, no masks, no mechanical ventilation. 6000 teachers had to avail of Covid Leave in Sept/Oct last year.
    ONS stats in UK showed teachers have second highest incidence of Long Covid
    https://amp.theguardian.com/society/2021/apr/03/nhs-feels-strain-tens-thousands-staff-long-covid?__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

Do you honestly believe an infant teacher can stay 2 m away for the children?Name another job where people are asked to ignore 2 m social distancing , without masks for hours on end and with up to and beyond30 people in the same space ?

Again supermarket workers. Form them people just ignore it and act like they're not even there. But you're just so much better than them aren;t you?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

If the teachers go on strike, can they have their full salary removed & put on PUP?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭political analyst

Her GP refused to
    stand over her “ exemption.”

The student's mother said the GP, although he has verbally stated he doesn't stand over the exemption, hasn't issued a letter to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

If the teachers go on strike, can they have their full salary removed & put on PUP?

That would be great as is you are not paid if you strike.

cms88 wrote: »
    Again supermarket workers. Form them people just ignore it and act like they're not even there. But you're just so much better than them aren;t you?

Wow, that comes across as very aggressive questioning. As frontline workers they would have been vaccinated along with creche workers teachers, SNAs, gardaí but now they will have to be done by age as you all agree so I think using them as examples is poor taste on this thread since you all are against frontline workers being vaccinated.

Teachers must wonder, that how often they accuse people of "teacher bashing", why in fact they get so much "bashing" and none of the other public sector workers do?

The reality is, 99% of teachers have spent their life in school/education and don't have experience of the real world.

A couple years ago when they were threatening strikes again over pay, I had a conversation with a family member about graduate teacher pay. I said graduate teachers get good money for being a graduate, 10k more than I got as a graduate. I said they get around 32k which was very good money for a graduate. You know what they said?....."Yeah, but they get taxed on that!"

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

griffin100 wrote: »
    If you believe the public health rationale for vaccinating by age, then what teachers are looking to do is to bump those who are more likely to die from Covid down the vaccination waiting list for their own benefit. Classy.

They've been looking for that all along, they seem to place themselves alongside doctors and nurses and carers in the same par as essential workers.

They have been 'calling for' vaccinations for themselves since we managed to start vaccinating. Little thought given to the people who will need to be bumped down the vaccination roll out to allow this.

Of all the professions in this country they have certainly been shown up this year and last year and painted publicly as lazy and selfish. ASTI does them no favours with the relentless oppositional stance and endless demands.

If it was up to me I'd let them strike rather than be held to demands from the likes of ASTI. See how long they last being paid nothing to sit at home on strike, sure we've managed without them a lot these past 12 months so might as well save a few bob while we're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Teachers must wonder, that how often they accuse people of "teacher bashing", why in fact they get so much "bashing" and none of the other public sector workers do?

The reality is, 99% of teachers have spent their life in school/education and don't have experience of the real world.

A couple years ago when they were threatening strikes again over pay, I had a conversation with a family member about graduate teacher pay. I said graduate teachers get good money for being a graduate, 10k more than I got as a graduate. I said they get around 32k which was very good money for a graduate. You know what they said?....."Yeah, but they get taxed on that!"

Perhaps you chose the wrong career ?

khalessi wrote: »
    Wow, that comes across as very aggressive questioning. As frontline workers they would have been vaccinated along with creche workers teachers, SNAs, gardaí but now they will have to be done by age as you all agree so I think using them as examples is poor taste on this thread since you all are against frontline workers being vaccinated.

Where did anyine say that? It's pretty clear supermarket workers are in a much higher risk environment than teachers, yet they're demanding to be vaccinated before them.

• Advertisement

lulublue22 wrote: »

No, I'm earning good money due to my hard work and skills. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

Schools must be the only 'frontline' workers that managed to stay at home for the guts of the past year.

Teachers are nowhere near frontline when you consider all the healthcare workers and retail staff and countless other professions that managed to keep the show on the road.

Where did anyine say that? It's pretty clear supermarket workers are in a much higher risk environment than teachers, yet they're demanding to be vaccinated before them.

Atually data from ONS reported in The Guardian, teachers are second highest career of risk of Long Term Covid after Health Care workers but continue

Atually data from ONS reported in The Guardian, teachers are second highest career of risk of Long Term Covid after Health Care workers but continue

Any date from Ireland no?

1. Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

No, I'm earning good money due to my hard work and skills. :)

Oh that’s great to hear for a moment I thought you were concerned that you were in the wrong profession as other grads were earning 10k more than you.

2. Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Complete support the teachers on this.

3. Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

lulublue22 wrote: »

Maybe it's the teachers who chose the wrong career. Seeing as they're never happy with anything

4. Posts: 18,749 ✭✭✭✭ [Deleted User]

BanditLuke wrote: »
      Complete support the teachers on this.

Why?
      Do you think they should get vaccines before all the front line workers who were out working all year?
      Or any older people?

5. Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Any date from Ireland no?

Lets see would the fact that 6000+ teachers were put on Covid leave in Sept and Oct last year count, probably not, unless a teacher has died as that is normally what the baying crowds ask for as proof.

1. Advertisement
      2. Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Maybe it's the teachers who chose the wrong career. Seeing as they're never happy with anything

I don’t know I’d never presume to speak for circa 60000 people. Be a bit presumptuous really - kinda arrogant / bit entitled to think I could speak for every teacher in Ireland.

Advertisement