Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The annual ASTI Easter strike threat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

Just to put this into some context.
    I am a 55 year old teacher, working in a secondary school. I come into contact with approx 100 students per day at the very least.

I was unfortunate to contract covid at work last Christmas, along with three others of my colleagues around the same time. I was very sick, but recovered well enough to continue online teaching a full timetable in January. Two of my colleagues were not so fortunate, and were hospitalised, although they were younger than I.

There is no way I wish to contract this horrible thing again, or any other potentially more harmful variant, as I might not be so lucky the next time, given that I suffer asthma. My husband is a cancer survivor, and miraculously he did not catch it from me on THIS OCCASION. I do not want this again, and I would like to be vaccinated NOW. Enough is enough, and the unions are quite justified in their pursuit of the vaccine for their members. Two metre rules, etc... it just doesn't happen in a real class situation, kids won't wear masks properly, we are sitting ducks, as proven.

So.. back off, please.

supermarket workers have been much more high risk from the very start and still are. You talk about two metre rule etc in schools etc well for a lot of supermarket works people would sooner walk on top of them then stay two meters away. Not including people coming into shops without masks, hand wshing etc.

Teachers are very fast to being up how many people they come in contact with, and i'm not disputing that at all, but it's noting compared to the numbers coming into supermarkets everyday. An average supermarket worker could come into contact with 100 people in an hour let alone in the whole day.

We're hearing how all these groups teachers, nurses etc have been let down yet very few if any have ever said this about supermarket workers. They've had to put up with more **** than they normally have with the last year yet we'll never hear them being called ''heroes'' or the likes. Mostly because some of the supposed heroes wouldn't give them the time of day as some of them will see them as being beneath them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

Treppen wrote: »
    Most people don't teach at least 150 different people a day in an enclosed space, so that's not how everybody works either.

They don't come into contact with hundreds of different people like a supermarket worker either but they've no issues with that do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Just to put this into some context.
    I am a 55 year old teacher, working in a secondary school. I come into contact with approx 100 students per day at the very least.

I was unfortunate to contract covid at work last Christmas, along with three others of my colleagues around the same time. I was very sick, but recovered well enough to continue online teaching a full timetable in January. Two of my colleagues were not so fortunate, and were hospitalised, although they were younger than I.

There is no way I wish to contract this horrible thing again, or any other potentially more harmful variant, as I might not be so lucky the next time, given that I suffer asthma. My husband is a cancer survivor, and miraculously he did not catch it from me on THIS OCCASION. I do not want this again, and I would like to be vaccinated NOW. Enough is enough, and the unions are quite justified in their pursuit of the vaccine for their members. Two metre rules, etc... it just doesn't happen in a real class situation, kids won't wear masks properly, we are sitting ducks, as proven.

So.. back off, please.
    You'll actually be done almost as soon under this new rollout. The argument for it is scientific and some very unfortunate outliers aside we are increasingly less at risk the lower in age we go. This is not a quickly reversible political decision. It is an adoption of the scientific reasoning and will not be changed. People can go on strike if they choose but apart from coming across as somewhat petty it won't achieve anything.

Honestly do these unions even speak for the majority of their members?
    I'm in a particularly high profile union, currently complaining about the change to the vaccine roll out. I'm not one bit put out by the change and neither is one single person I work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Cork Lass wrote: »
    From late May onwards most teachers will be on holidays until September. During that time they are just regular citizens so they should get in the queue like the rest of us.

During that time, using their own criteria as posited here by some, then surely they would fall to the bottom of the queue whether 25 or 55?
    Anyone else who has to come in contact with anyone else as a result of their work would have to be ahead of them in the queue during that period?

Guards now, I'd say they have a reason to be vaccinated. Because, by the very nature of their work, they are often dealing with above average gobshite members of the public

Age is the cleanest way to do it I think. If some have health issues, then of course there should be a mechanism to priortise those.

• Advertisement

You said you wanted supermarket workers done before teachers. Which ones?

Dude, fix your quotes.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Honestly do these unions even speak for the majority of their members?
    I'm in a particularly high profile union, currently complaining about the change to the vaccine roll out. I'm not one bit put out by the change and neither is one single person I work with.

My parents were teachers and more often than no they didn’t agree. The most strident get elected.

I’m not generally into teacher bashing, I think they are pretty good in Ireland, but this is a mistake. There’s no way a 25 year old teacher should be prioritised over a 60 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

@ Cork Lass:

One teacher will come into 200 close contacts daily, five days a week, over seven weeks between April-June.

Neither my colleagues nor I finish in late May. House exams continue into June, and have to be then corrected/marked, and reports, then year -group reports must be written up.

That's 7,000 close contacts in that time-frame. Close contact ranging from anything between 40 minutes to 60 minutes.

Just to clarify.

Nobody but over 70s and vulnerable will get vaccine before mid-May.
    Even if teachers got the Pfizer vaccine, with full immunity not until 2 weeks after 2nd dose, teachers would now not be immune until 3rd week of June. Right around the time they would be going off for the summer.

There is no rational argument for teachers to skip the queue. They wouldn't be in the classroom to benefit from it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,322 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, drop the summer holidays talk. Teachers are going to be subject to the same restrictions as everyone else on travel and suggesting they are expecting to head overseas is inappropriate when none of us have any idea how restrictions will evolve

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Rodin wrote: »
    Nobody but over 70s and vulnerable will get vaccine before mid-May.
    Even if teachers got the Pfizer vaccine, with full immunity not until 2 weeks after 2nd dose, teachers would now not be immune until 3rd week of June. Right around the time they would be going off for the summer.

There is no rational argument for teachers to skip the queue. They wouldn't be in the classroom to benefit from it.

This is exactly my point. Teachers will all be home for the summer just like the rest of us. I would put supermarket workers before teachers - they have worked all through Covid facing hundred of people every day and dealing with hand to hand cash transactions too. I am not a supermarket worker - I am working from home since March 2020 and as anxious as everyone else to get vaccinated. i genuinely agree that age is the best and fairest way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Beasty wrote: »
    OK, drop the summer holidays talk. Teachers are going to be subject to the same restrictions as everyone else on travel and suggesting they are expecting to head overseas is inappropriate when none of us have any idea how restrictions will evolve
    <snip>

This is exactly my point. Teachers will all be home for the summer just like the rest of us. I would put supermarket workers before teachers - they have worked all through Covid facing hundred of people every day and dealing with hand to hand cash transactions too. I am not a supermarket worker - I am working from home since March 2020 and as anxious as everyone else to get vaccinated. i genuinely agree that age is the best and fairest way.

+1 on this.
    Many more at risk groups than teachers that nobody gives a fiddlers about. It’s the sense of entitlement for me that really takes the biscuit. Rolling out by age is more equitable and will be faster but no no, that’s not good enough for some. I’m 30, I work from home and I won’t be vaccinated for a long time. I’m DESPERATE to get a vaccine but I know others need it more than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭paddyirish23

Maybe do a bit of forward thinking here and instead of missing more weeks or months off school from Sept onwards (as Covid looks like it's here too stay and worse in winter) why not bring all schools back 2 or 3 weeks early in Aug and give schools and government a few weeks they can shut them down if needed next winter?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

And enter the teacher haters . Can I ask if you all feel the same about SNAs ?

Maybe do a bit of forward thinking here and instead of missing more weeks or months off school from Sept onwards (as Covid looks like it's here too stay and worse in winter) why not bring all schools back 2 or 3 weeks early in Aug and give schools and government a few weeks they can shut them down if needed next winter?

Can you honestly see any teacher agreeing to go back early - not a hope.

SNA's to be fair should get vaccinated sooner but as the other teachers unions would throw a hiss fit if they were given it I can't see any of them getting it early. Everyone should be done by age is the easiest and quickest way. Older SNA's will get it sooner now too

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

There would be uproar from Unions if teachers were asked to return before the last week of August.
    I would expect it to be shot down staright away,they are talking about industrial action over
    a clearr public health issue with age based vaccine program, imagine the discussion if they were asked to change the holiday period.

i think SNA's that have to have personal contact with students should be vaccinated before teachers but again, like the teachers they will be on holiday for the summer in few weeks.

No chance of it, can't even get the July provision in most schools last few years. Was more of a wishful thought. Did I read England are making their teacher's work into the summer?

I'm not sure when it comes to this it is anything to do with teacher haters, and honestly I stick up for teachers all the time.
    This change is fair.

• Advertisement

No chance of it, can't even get the July provision in most schools last few years. Was more of a wishful thought. Did I read England are making their teacher's work into the summer?

No they are not.
    Holidays in English schools are only 6 weeks long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭political analyst

It hasn't been decided yet.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-longer-school-days-shorter-summer-holidays-and-five-term-years-all-under-consideration-says-education-secretary-12238622

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Pringles123

I would if they wanted to extend the holidays in the winter for covid reasons.

In relation to vaccines I do not think things are going to make a whole lot of difference with supply from here to June/July so it might not make a difference. I do have the expectation that all teachers and students are vaccinated by September. I even think students should be prioritised over adults working from home if children are being vaccinated.

bubblypop wrote: »
    No they are not.
    Holidays in English schools are only 6 weeks long.
    At least they are looking into it, what are we doing?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-56175893

• Registered Users Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The timing of this alongside the Beacon-Gerard story will not do the teachers any favours on the entitlement stakes.
    Teachers will be vaccinated as per age group which is only right and fair. This simple vaccination system will actually make the rollout faster. They have 6 weeks left teaching in secondary and should all be vaccinated by Sept.

The unions have painted the teachers in a bad light since Covid began. The union rep on Drivetime embarrassed himself. He did not listen to or understand the questions and just moaned.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭political analyst

Isn't it both the secondary teachers' unions fault that a Leaving Cert student who has asthma was prevented from sitting an oral exam even though she had a medical exemption from the mask rule?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/teen-with-asthma-refused-entry-to-school-for-leaving-cert-oral-exam-as-she-was-not-wearing-mask-40274727.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

So why do you think teachers are difficult to get for JP?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Darc19 wrote: »
    It was looking like the ASTI would not have their annual teacher strike ballot this Easter...

Then they found a topic.

They want healthy 25 year old teaching staff to be vaccinated before those at far far higher risk.

Easter just wouldn't be Easter without the annual strike threat by exceptionally well paid ASTI teachers.

Someday some government minister will have the guts to pull them down several pegs
    They should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. What really needs to happen now is for revenue to start doing their job and go after these parasites for all the cash they have been trousering for grinds down through the years.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

+1 on this.
    Many more at risk groups than teachers that nobody gives a fiddlers about. It’s the sense of entitlement for me that really takes the biscuit. Rolling out by age is more equitable and will be faster but no no, that’s not good enough for some. I’m 30, I work from home and I won’t be vaccinated for a long time. I’m DESPERATE to get a vaccine but I know others need it more than me.

So you are desperate but safe at home ?When are you available to take over the class of 30 senior infants who can’t socially distance and where ventilation means an open door ?

• Advertisement

i think SNA's that have to have personal contact with students should be vaccinated before teachers but again, like the teachers they will be on holiday for the summer in few weeks.

Do you honestly believe an infant teacher can stay 2 m away for the children?Name another job where people are asked to ignore 2 m social distancing , without masks for hours on end and with up to and beyond30 people in the same space ?

Advertisement