Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The annual ASTI Easter strike threat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Wow cesspit in here. Same characters as usual attacking teachers. I wonder what their motivations are because it's like obsession at this point.

Well when they come out with fair few kids aren't OK etc etc what do you expect?

Or that a fair few parents are poor parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Wow cesspit in here. Same characters as usual attacking teachers. I wonder what their motivations are because it's like obsession at this point.

In fairness, doesn’t help when teachers shout “teacher bashing” at every critical post.

Also call non-teachers the great unwashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

So you're too busy minding your kids to stay on boards yet you judge parents who can't cope because they have to work and mind their kids and home school them?

I should be taken out and shot in the public square.
    We all had to home school too.
    Let's all get on with our lives.
    I'm no longer providing free therapy for deranged posters!.
    Off for a walk. I suggest you all do so too.

In fairness, doesn’t help when teachers shout “teacher bashing” at every critical post.

Also call non-teachers the great unwashed.

You could use a shower..

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I should be taken out and shot in the public square.
    We all had to home school too.
    Let's all get on with our lives.
    I'm no longer providing free therapy for deranged posters!.
    Off for a walk. I suggest you all do so too.

So we’re deranged now!

Teacher bashing!!!

• Advertisement

You could use a shower..

This is a disgusting post.

I'm joking just in case a torrent of abuse heads my way

Get a life teaching gal if you think this is a serious thread. It ain't.

Get a life teaching gal if you think this is a serious thread. It ain't.

Get a life?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I see the classic “i wont continue to debate, i have other things to do” is out in force.

Give it a few posts till the topic changes and itll be back for more pontification and insult throwing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Teachers Unions want teachers to be vaccines ahead of those who are more likely to die of this virus. Presumably they think those in more vulnerable groups should isolate themselves. It's a proposition i have a lot of sympathy with tbh.

The problem is that this will inevitably beg the question as to why we didn't do exactly this from the start (as stipulated for example in the UK Risk Register's plans for such a pandemic) and instead chose to throw the young and the poor under the bus along with education, cancer screenings and large swathes of the economy instead of asking the vulnerable to take responsibility for their own health.

Difficult questions need to be asked when this is over.

Look I made a valid point about poor parenting. Ask any teacher and they if they are honest will say the same.
    If honest.
    It's a large minority but not a majority.
    The strike idea is bull****
    The government flip flops on vaccines bull****.
    But there are people on here who have nothing better ru do than bash teachers.
    Many are jealous of conditions.
    I think all workers deserve better condition. We need more trade unions. Don't buy the government idea of a global economy and thus you have to lump it.
    My apologies if anybody took offence. I took the piss last few posts. But get real people. Nothing changes because of a thread on boards.
    You'd be better employed calling your TD
    Adieu

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Teachers Unions want teachers to be vaccines ahead of those who are more likely to die of this virus. Presumably they think those in more vulnerable groups should isolate themselves. It's a proposition i have a lot of sympathy with tbh.

The problem is that this will inevitably beg the question as to why we didn't do exactly this from the start (as stipulated for example in the UK Risk Register's plans for such a pandemic) and instead chose to throw the young and the poor under the bus along with education, cancer screenings and large swathes of the economy instead of asking the vulnerable to take responsibility for their own health.

Difficult questions need to be asked when this is over.

But theres a mantra tgat the vulnerable wouldnt look after themselves, I see plans for drug addicts, travellers and the homeless to be given priority on the small batch of the johnson and johnson vaccine because its 1 dose and they couldnt be expected to remember to come back for a second. This is the reality we live in, a government that prioritises the wilfully ignorant to save them from themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭briangriffin

Locotastic wrote: »
    Yeah, that ASTI attitude at least you have it nailed.

Those students and parents are technically your customers (and employers) and yet you have such disdain for them, not surprising but I do wonder how anyone can be a good teacher and at the same time hold their students and families in such contempt.

The disdain is coming from you and others here for teachers its plain as the nose on your head. Every year there are one or two parents like you in every class with a chip on their shoulders about teachers. There seems to be a mass gathering of you on these forums. You know mass gatherings are banned dont you??
    Its a waste of time arguing with that mentality. The unions the most powerful in the state so powerful that we have one of the highest Teacher ratios in Europe - it hasnt shifted materially in years, was promised a big reduction this year but wast reneged on it again. The same powerful union which say a 2 tier payscale SEN hours reduced and no investment in capitation grants or education. The same unions that have school prefabs dotted all around the country with your children in them for years on end. The unions the bástards.

The government have stated their priorities are protect the elderly and vulnerable and keep schools open. Those were stated in that order on numerous occasions. That you cannot see the value in vaccinating teachers to accomplish that is testament to how ingrained your hatred of us is.

The same powerful unions who had agreed to government proposals to send schools back in January when we had a new variant of covid and the highest rate of infection in europe with over 5000 daily cases. Nphet and the department held a webinar on how schools would go back in January their answer to the 1000s of daily cases and community wide transmission was that schools were safe. They were asked what additional measures were be used given the new variant was highy transmissable? open the windows more. Schools are safe the magic fairy dust of the school building is virus proof -

• Registered Users Posts: 18,225 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Look I'm a proud Asti member. Most parents got over whelmed with their two/three kids so were very glad to get their kids back to school. Avg teacher has about 25 kids but but you can't handle your own half the time.
    The vaccine roll out was badly planned.
    If age based vaccines were the best way... then why was this not the plan from the start?
    The Asti is right to be annoyed but its not a case for a strike. If we ever again it should be on equal pay or the terrible behavior of many teens and the failure of parents to discipline their darlings!

This is one of the most patronising posts I came across on this thread. The assumption that parents are overwhelmed by minding there children.....My own children are all-in the there twenties but if this had happened 12-15 years ago it would have caused a huge problem for us. Both would have been working my wife on the real front line not the imaginery one and I in a technical job that would require my presence on the road.

There were many families like that Gardai and Nurses married to each other, people working in factories which could not WFH or even people that could that could. People trying to arrange grandparents who maybe should be concooning to mind there children, try to keep there education up to speed and these people were over f@@king whelmed. They were certainly under pressures that you seem to belittle.

It just shows the self importance you feel and that some teachers feel. Well rewarded for there workload but having a condescending view of those that pay there wages and expect a service in return.

The lack of real debate instaff room leaves some teachers who think that they are hard done by and the lack of contact with reality in a cocoon. They can only see there own perceived stresses not the reality of what other live through.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

If age based vaccines were the best way... then why was this not the plan from the start?
    Because, thankfully, we are following the science and adjusting our approach as we learn more about the virus. If this wasn't the case we'd never have introduced social distancing, wearing masks or even lockdowns.

Look I made a valid point about poor parenting. Ask any teacher and they if they are honest will say the same.
    If honest.
    I think all workers deserve better condition. We need more trade unions. Don't buy the government idea of a global economy and thus you have to lump it.
    My apologies if anybody took offence. I took the piss last few posts. But get real people. Nothing changes because of a thread on boards.
    Adieu

Don't apologize for an honest observation apparently you can say anything if its "your truth"

If honest.
    Adieu

Within the last few posts you’ve accused a fair few parents are poor at raising their kids.

You’ve told me to “get a life”.

You’ve told me I need to take a shower (not sure why, seems like a very strange thing to say).

You’ve called non-teachers “the great unwashed”.

And you are now wondering why posters on here are teacher bashing?????

If honest.
    Adieu

So you were taking the piss. Ya. And now you throw a other few grenade's. The government is not flip flopping on vacination. It is accepting NiAC's recommendation that we move to am age based rollout as it's more efficient and a better way to reduce the impact of the virus on our lives.

Slava Ukrainii

This is one of the most patronising posts I came across on this thread. The assumption that parents are overwhelmed by minding there children.....My on children are all-in the here twenties but if this had happened 12-15 years ago it would have caused a huge problem for us. Both would have been working my wife on the real front line not the imaginery one and I in a tech job that would require my presence on the road.

There were many families line that Gardai and Nurses married to each other, people working in factories which could not WFH or enen people that could that could. People trying to arrange grandparents who maybe should be concooning to mind there children, try to keep there education up to speed and these people were over f@@king whelmed. They were certainly under pressures that you seem to belittle.

It just shows the self importance you feel and that some teachers feel. Well rewarded for there workload but having a condescending view of those that pay there wages and expect a service in return.

The lack of real debate instaff room leaves some teachers who think that they are hard done by and the lack of contact with reality in a cocoon. They can only see there own perceived stresses not the reality of what other live through.

Absolute bullshít you are bashing the cráp out of teachers for posts on end and you trigger a response and are up in arms. If you want to have a reasoned debate do if you want to make snide comments dont expect you wont get some back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

So you're too busy minding your kids to stay on boards yet you judge parents who can't cope because they have to work and mind their kids and home school them?

Judgement applies for the mere peasants only :D same way as vaccines should be given to teachers as a priority.

Yeah, this is where ASTI get their member input from, parents and students are an inconvenience at best seems.

The disdain is coming from you and others here for teachers its plain as the nose on your head. Every year there are one or two parents like you in every class with a chip on their shoulders about teachers. There seems to be a mass gathering of you on these forums. You know mass gatherings are banned dont you??
    Its a waste of time arguing with that mentality. The unions the most powerful in the state so powerful that we have one of the highest Teacher ratios in Europe - it hasnt shifted materially in years, was promised a big reduction this year but wast reneged on it again. The same powerful union which say a 2 tier payscale SEN hours reduced and no investment in capitation grants or education. The same unions that have school prefabs dotted all around the country with your children in them for years on end. The unions the bástards.

The government have stated their priorities are protect the elderly and vulnerable and keep schools open. Those were stated in that order on numerous occasions. That you cannot see the value in vaccinating teachers to accomplish that is testament to how ingrained your hatred of us is.

The same powerful unions who had agreed to government proposals to send schools back in January when we had a new variant of covid and the highest rate of infection in europe with over 5000 daily cases. Nphet and the department held a webinar on how schools would go back in January their answer to the 1000s of daily cases and community wide transmission was that schools were safe. They were asked what additional measures were be used given the new variant was highy transmissable? open the windows more. Schools are safe the magic fairy dust of the school building is virus proof -

The reason we have the highest teacher pupil ration is we pay our teachers more than most comparable EU states. In other countries more money goes into schoo capitation and teacher pupil ratio's. As well teaching years are longer with primary school summet holidays about 2 weeks shorter and second level the same and more. As we the school day is often 1-2 hours longer. Are teachers willing to go down that road

Slava Ukrainii

Judgement applies for the mere peasants only :D same way as vaccines should be given to teachers as a priority.

Yeah, this is where ASTI get their member input from, parents and students are an inconvenience at best seems.

Dont you get tired?

Within the last few posts you’ve accused a fair few parents are poor at raising their kids.

You’ve told me to “get a life”.

You’ve told me I need to take a shower (not sure why, seems like a very strange thing to say).

You’ve called non-teachers “the great unwashed”.

And you are now wondering why posters on here are teacher bashing?????

Jaysus you do need to get a, life. I did not call anybody unwashed. I joked about a shower. There is poor patenting out there. Don't be a snowflake

The peasants and great unwashed!

Regarding parents overwhelmed I'm making the point how difficult parents found it to homeschool.
    Yes they were often working too.
    But parents often don't take into account that teachers have 25 plus kids..
    There is poor parenting. Not a majority.
    But to say otherwise is bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

You would not last a day.

You presume to know me or what I do? I have taught in third level. I actually know what it entails. I am not saying it is easy. But tell that to the A&E staff or Gardaí or social workers or criminal solicitors. Do you think that the rest of us just deal with genteel folk, happy to see it

The reason we have the highest teacher pupil ration is we pay our teachers more than most comparable EU states. In other countries more money goes into schoo capitation and teacher pupil ratio's. As well teaching years are longer with primary school summet holidays about 2 weeks shorter and second level the same and more. As we the school day is often 1-2 hours longer. Are teachers willing to go down that road

Lovely could you back that up there with facts and figures. You are saying if im no t reading you wrong that teachers are robbing children of capitation and putting extra kids in our classes because we are a shower of overpaid greedy bástards who dont care about anything but lining our pockets?

I mean don't dress it up lets be straight here

Jaysus you do need to get a, life. I did not call anybody unwashed. I joked about a shower. There is poor patenting out there. Don't be a snowflake

And the personal insults keep flying! Is this how you talk to people in real life? Parents?

You did call non-teachers great unwashed and the post was edited or deleted.

• Advertisement

Absolute bullshít you are bashing the cráp out of teachers for posts on end and you trigger a response and are up in arms. If you want to have a reasoned debate do if you want to make snide comments dont expect you wont get some back.

No I am not I deal with reality. I am one of the many parents that worked hard and paid my taxes. I bit my lip at teacher parent meeting lime many other to get the best outcome for our children.

My youngest child wrote a letter of complaint about a one teacher in school after the principal requested it. The principle then rang me and asked me to get it withdrawn as it created an issue for him. Which I got my son to do.

I am not bashing. A lot of teachers not all teacher's have no understanding of the stresses and reality of those on lower and lower middle incomes especially those with younger children. Te reality of child care costs often equivalent to a second mortgage and paying it for 12-15 years over 2-3 children's early years is often outside there understanding

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement