Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The annual ASTI Easter strike threat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Thank you!

I have taken massive abuse when I've been honest enough to call out bad behaviour, 99.99% of this abuse from my teacher colleagues (in real life & on Boards). Just take a look through my post history.

I simply do not understand the absolute refusal by teachers to admit anything they do is wrong. I cannot understand why lazy colleagues are protected. I don't get the attitude of entitlement to the vaccine. There is a huge amount of bullying and harassment in teaching - I've seen this myself - and if you don't follow the 'official' line you will be attacked and excluded.

I would wager a large amount of money that this post will be reported by most of the teachers on this thread in an attempt to silence me.

Mod:

If you don't want to post about the topic don't post in this thread, this will be your only warning to stop baiting other posters

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Necro wrote: »
    Mod:

If you don't want to post about the topic don't post in this thread, this will be your only warning to stop baiting other posters

Ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

Wow teaching gal was bang on the money with that wager anyway.

I think it's refreshing to see a different viewpoint from someone who is a teacher. But apparently one can only cry teacher bashing if it's by non teachers, fellow teachers are not allowed to call this out when it involves other teachers?

The post is on topic, just demonstrates exactly what she is trying to say. Some posters won't be happy until they're in the echo chamber that they're accustomed to.

Anyway I don't care if I'm banned for saying this, a one sided viewpoint or discussion that lacks diversity is boring.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,695 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Can we get back on topic please

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Seaandwind

Their teaching staff were working most of the year. Ours was at home.

Maybe that had an impact?

Not the case everywhere.

We were at home for 8 weeks, not most of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Notice the silence from the teacher unions yesterday and today.

I suspect that no vote will be held as there's a backlash from union members themselves.

Laughable that the last comment was that action would be taken if vaccines were not administered by the start of the new school year.

That's September.

Everyone in the country who wants a vaccine will have it by then.

Egg in face time for the teacher unions

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Pringles123

Why is this news? The unions haven't even balloted teachers yet. Everytime there is any statement made by any teacher union the newspapers go mad because it's clickbait. They're upsessed with the word "demand" as well. Teachers union seeking a meeting with NPHET is replaced with teachers unions demanding a meeting. Who cares, this is not breaking news if you ask me.
    Teachers union asking for an external report on junior cycle reform is replaced with teachers union demanding external report on JC reform. The latter is something all people should want and is best practice, but of course the newspapers encourage outrage. All click bait!

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/education/teachers-demand-major-review-of-junior-cert-before-further-leaving-cert-reforms-40280870.html

https://www.thejournal.ie/teachers-unions-seek-meeting-government-5404825-Apr2021/
    (2nd paragraph)

Why is this news? The unions haven't even balloted teachers yet. Everytime there is any statement made by any teacher union the newspapers go mad because it's clickbait. They're upsessed with the word "demand" as well. Teachers union seeking a meeting with NPHET is replaced with teachers unions demanding a meeting. Who cares, this is not breaking news if you ask me.
    Teachers union asking for an external report on junior cycle reform is replaced with teachers union demanding external report on JC reform. The latter is something all people should want and is best practice, but of course the newspapers encourage outrage. All click bait!

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/education/teachers-demand-major-review-of-junior-cert-before-further-leaving-cert-reforms-40280870.html

https://www.thejournal.ie/teachers-unions-seek-meeting-government-5404825-Apr2021/
    (2nd paragraph)

What right do they have to demand meetings with NPHET and NIAC? They have no station to interfere with vaccine roll outs.

Meet with the Dept of education by all means but anything else is outside of their remit. Appears they are concerned about their status and the devaluing the of the teaching profession.

They certainly aren't helping in that regard.

"The unions requested that the meeting should include officials from key government departments, the National Immunisation Advisory Committee (NIAC) and the National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET)".

Why don't they do everyone a favour and give it a rest now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

(2nd paragraph)

The problem is that for the last 10 years the teachers unions consider that they run the educational system. If anything is proposed they seek reviews after reviews, to stall the process if that fails to happen they threaten strike action. parents and government want reform of the educational system. They pay the piper, but the piper seems to always want to decide on what music they play

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Pringles123

There is a difference between asking for something and demanding something. I hear more about the profession from the newspapers than the department of education and the unions themselves. I feel like the newspapers are inciting hatred towards the profession (yes the unions are not doing great for it either and need to learn when to speak and not to speak). The government have already asked NPHET to discuss covid with unions earlier in the year. I am not saying its right but the government did set a precedent.

In reply to the unions not running our education system I agree. However, Norma Foley technically is and admitted on radio following PISA results last year that the junior cycle is not perfect and is a new system with issues to be ironed out. So a request for a review before leaving cert reform seems perfectly reasonable to me. Apologies for going off topic on this point

• Advertisement

Erm, Asti website https://www.asti.ie/news-campaigns/latest-news/

Their last 2 press releases have the word “demand” in the subject header.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

They should be whipped with their own canes and made work like everyone else. There is more chance of getting the virus working in a shop than in a school.

They should be whipped with their own canes and made work like everyone else. There is more chance of getting the virus working in a shop than in a school.

Whipped with their own canes is a horrible, old fashioned, sweeping statement and I do not think appropriate for the context in which we are discussing or in any context really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,938 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Seaandwind wrote: »
    Whipped with their own canes is a horrible, old fashioned, sweeping statement and I do not think appropriate for the context in which we are discussing or in any context really.

Looking to jump the queue during a medical emergency for no scientific threat reason because of your profession is also horribly old fashioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

I have yet to meet a single person in real-life who supports the ASTI’s motion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

BettyS wrote: »
    I have yet to meet a single person in real-life who supports the ASTI’s motion

Moral hazard. Teachers can threaten and demand with impunity, no risk of losing job or pay. There’s no other job in this country could you behave so appallingly and have no consequences. My wife’s has 3 friends who are teachers, to your face they’re saying they don’t agree with the unions action, but on WhatsApp their all talk about “going sick” until they get the vaccine.

charlie14 wrote: »
    Looking to jump the queue during a medical emergency for no scientific threat reason because of your profession is also horribly old fashioned.

If you do some research and reading of this thread you will note the majority of teachers do not support jumping a queue either. I can’t see how cane violence can be brought into this argument at all.

Valhallapt wrote: »
    on WhatsApp their all talk about “going sick” until they get the vaccine.

And therefore putting huge pressure on their colleagues who do show up to do their jobs, as well as letting down students who are already at a disadvantage.

Its such selfish behaviour, I couldn't look my colleagues in the face if I did something like that.

The unions days of demanding stuff are over, last month the INTO called for compulsory masks for primary and were refused.

Now demands for priority vaccination and they've rightly all been told to kfo. Demanding to meet with NPHET and NIAC, is what appears to be an attempt to lobby health directives.

The desperate grasping for issues during every single break away (and aren't they fairly regular) from school is shockingly predictable.

I'd say the summer will be interesting to see what the unions can pull out of their holes as an excuse for their members not to do what they are paid for.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The "cane" reference was absurd. Drop all comments suggesting (in jest or otherwise) any physical violence

If you do some research and reading of this thread you will note the majority of teachers do not support jumping a queue either. I can’t see how cane violence can be brought into this argument at all.

Research based on the postings of anonymous individuals on an internet forum. Great idea. Maybe we should just do away with elections and do the same to elect a government!
    If the majority do not support this attempt at queue jumping, then why did it not get voted down at congress rather than teachers making a show of themselves in the eyes of the public ?

• Advertisement

Research based on the postings of anonymous individuals on an internet forum. Great idea. Maybe we should just do away with elections and do the same to elect a government!
    If the majority do not support this attempt at queue jumping, then why did it not get voted down at congress rather than teachers making a show of themselves in the eyes of the public ?

Well maybe talk to real life teachers then, simple! Wait and see, there will be no strike before the end of this term.

Well maybe talk to real life teachers then, simple! Wait and see, there will be no strike before the end of this term.

A poster here has said he did just that with three of his wife`s friends who are teachers. To his face they were all opposed to strike action, yet on social media they were very keen on pulling the Garda equivalent of a blue flu.

If there is no strike before September then I cannot see what reason they would have for doing so then. Other than perhaps them being out of the country when they are due to be vaccinated.
    Either way, they have seriously shot their bolt on this if they are expecting public support at any stage for a strike over vaccinations

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

A poster here has said he did just that with three of his wife`s friends who are teachers. To his face they were all opposed to strike action, yet on social media they were very keen on pulling the Garda equivalent of a blue flu.

If there is no strike before September then I cannot see what reason they would have for doing so then. Other than perhaps them being out of the country when they are due to be vaccinated.
    Either way, they have seriously shot their bolt on this if they are expecting public support at any stage for a strike over vaccinations

Re the text it is hearsay, and more then likely due to anxiety. Teachers dont generally like going sick at the best of times because having other people cover your class is not ideal and they know the pressure other teachers are under already. So even if they are mentioning going sick they wont,its venting and stress

khalessi wrote: »
    Re the text it is hearsay, and more then likely due to anxiety. Teachers dont generally like going sick at the best of times because having other people cover your class is not ideal and they know the pressure other teachers are under already. So even if they are mentioning going sick they wont,its venting and stress

You could view discussions on pulling a blue flu stunt as due to anxiety I suppose, but alternatively you could look on it as conspiracy.

But is it any more hearsay than anonymous teachers posting here saying they do not support strike action ?
    Something one poster seems to believe is a true reflection of the majority of teachers feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

You could view discussions on pulling a blue flu stunt as due to anxiety I suppose, but alternatively you could look on it as conspiracy.

But is it any more hearsay than anonymous teachers posting here saying they do not support strike action ?
    Something one poster seems to believe is a true reflection of the majority of teachers feelings.

Conspiracy, 3 anxious teachers riiiight

But as you said, anonymous posters on the internet.

I am very much against striking before the end of this term and I am genuine in saying that, the teachers I have talked to all say similar. We are only a part of a large group of people but I do throughly believe the strike will be voted against. Again, I’m anonymous from the internet though!

I haven’t ever heard of people calling in sick so flippantly - pathetic if someone is going to call in sick without reason just to wait for their vaccine. To most teachers missing class time creates a lot of work as you still prepare a considerable amount of work to leave for students and then obviously catch up time. I actually think this sounds like a nightmare 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

So you're relaying a story from a guy on the internet who heard a story from his wife about 3 teacher friends who said on a what's-app group (not really social media btw) that they were all going to go fake sick until they got the vaccine.

They'll have to get certified from Medmark for this to work.
    If they're off sick for so long they really shoot themselves in the foot if they get "proper" sick within a 4 year period as they can get quickly be bumped down to half pay. Two teachers in our school were "proper" sick for a total of >183 days within 4 years and got put on half pay.

Either this story is a bit rum , or they're 3 villages short of 3 idiots who haven't a clue what they're spouting.
    I'd advise that wife to find new friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Not the case everywhere.

We were at home for 8 weeks, not most of the year.

The year is April 20 to April 21 the year of covid, not this year.

Vestiapx wrote: »
    The year is April 20 to April 21 the year of covid, not this year.

Interesting, I was referring to this academic year.

I suppose it has been a different case for many countries who could reopen their schools faster. 22 EU countries along with the USA prioritised education workers for vaccination, we can’t just say that we were at home for longer than everyone else and not take Ireland’s situation into consideration- especially post Christmas (which was one of the worst in the world at the time).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Study showing little evidence that schools are a source of transmission https://www.forbes.com/sites/nickmorrison/2021/01/27/schools-are-not-key-drivers-of-covid-19-transmissionif-safety-measures-are-in-place/?sh=42e20dbb184d

Study showing teachers are getting infected at the same rate or slightly below the rate of the rest of the population https://www.bbc.com/news/health-56238468

Advertisement