Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The annual ASTI Easter strike threat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Study showing little evidence that schools are a source of transmission https://www.forbes.com/sites/nickmorrison/2021/01/27/schools-are-not-key-drivers-of-covid-19-transmissionif-safety-measures-are-in-place/?sh=42e20dbb184d

Study showing teachers are getting infected at the same rate or slightly below the rate of the rest of the population https://www.bbc.com/news/health-56238468

Don't be upsetting the teachers narrative with these facts.

Honeslty what are you thinking. We need to get whipped up in the union narrative and give in to all teacher demands.

Or else you're nothing but a teacher basher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Don't be upsetting the teachers narrative with these facts.

Honeslty what are you thinking. We need to get whipped up in the union narrative and give in to all teacher demands.

Or else you're nothing but a teacher basher.

INteresting studies, both using information from term 1, your first study took place between August and October last year. Now we have B117. That study also says there is a caveat, if safety measure are used. We dont have social distancing in Irish schools. Even when the Dept went to all the trouble of getting a draughtsman to draw lovely diagrams they managed 40cm in some diagrams between students, and also had some sitting practically on radiators.

The bbc report uses info from December.

Most recent data from ONS in UK shows teachers second highest profession after HCWs to get Long Covid. 25% of teachers have got Long Covid, which has ongoing neurological, respiratory and cardiac affect amongst other illnesses. Also B117 is showing that is is effecting younger age groups.
    I could suggest you having a look at Dr Deepti Gurdasani epidemiologist in UK who has been on a number of tv and radio in UK since January and the onsalught of B117 discussing the role of schools in transmission.

I could also suggest De. Zoe Hyde epidemiologist

At the moment most epidemiologists are big on ventilation in fighting B117 and air filtering but the Dept of Education does not want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

khalessi wrote: »
    INteresting studies, both using information from term 1, your first study took place between August and October last year. Now we have B117. That study also says there is a caveat, if safety measure are used. We dont have social distancing in Irish schools. Even when the Dept went to all the trouble of getting a draughtsman to draw lovely diagrams they managed 40cm in some diagrams between students, and also had some sitting practically on radiators.

The bbc report uses info from December.

Most recent data from ONS in UK shows teachers second highest profession after HCWs to get Long Covid. 25% of teachers have got Long Covid, which has ongoing neurological, respiratory and cardiac affect amongst other illnesses. Also B117 is showing that is is effecting younger age groups.
    I could suggest you having a look at Dr Deepti Gurdasani epidemiologist in UK who has been on a number of tv and radio in UK since January and the onsalught of B117 discussing the role of schools in transmission.

I could also suggest De. Zoe Hyde epidemiologist

At the moment most epidemiologists are big on ventilation in fighting B117 and air filtering but the Dept of Education does not want to know.

Ok I see now. Covid is teacher bashing, the new variant disproportionately attacks teachers, maybe covid is jealous of all summer holidays and 20 hour weeks? That explains why society at large has been left alone by the new variants, it’s just picking on teachers...

Dr. David Steadson looking at situation in Sweden, where B117 is prevelant strain now and they are up around 6000 cases today. He doesnt see it imporiving until schools go on break and then see it increasing again in Autumn.

But if we like studies about last term Dr. Diego Bassani Italian epidemiologist tweeted this study published April 9th
    REopening Italy's Schools in 2020

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.04.06.21254993v1

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Ok I see now. Covid is teacher bashing, the new variant disproportionately attacks teachers, maybe covid is jealous of all summer holidays and 20 hour weeks? That explains why society at large has been left alone by the new variants, it’s just picking on teachers...

I fail to see the logic in that statement, Covid is a virus and a deadly one. It doesn't see holidays or weekends works right through them and I dont think it is Covid that is jealous of holidays as diseases don't have feelings that we know of yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,938 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Treppen wrote: »
    So you're relaying a story from a guy on the internet who heard a story from his wife about 3 teacher friends who said on a what's-app group (not really social media btw) that they were all going to go fake sick until they got the vaccine.

They'll have to get certified from Medmark for this to work.
    If they're off sick for so long they really shoot themselves in the foot if they get "proper" sick within a 4 year period as they can get quickly be bumped down to half pay. Two teachers in our school were "proper" sick for a total of >183 days within 4 years and got put on half pay.

Either this story is a bit rum , or they're 3 villages short of 3 idiots who haven't a clue what they're spouting.
    I'd advise that wife to find new friends.

A poster suggested that I do research based on this tread based on anonymous teachers posts which he/she believed would show that the majority of teacher were apposed to this strike threat.

I simply pointed out what another poster claimed was their experience with three of his wifes friends when it came to face to face, compared to what was said on WhatsApp.(which appears to fulfill the criterion for social media btw).

The post primary school year is 167 days I believe. If anyone working the average 40 hour week was to miss the equivalent of 13 weeks each year for 4 consecutive years, "proper" sick or not, they would in all likelihood be very lucky to be just placed on half pay for a probation period.

The real village idiots in this, (if as some say here they are a majority not in favour of this proposal), are the teachers who allowed this idiotic idea to even get too congress.

charlie14 wrote: »
    A poster suggested that I do research based on this tread based on anonymous teachers posts which he/she believed would show that the majority of teacher were apposed to this strike threat.

I simply pointed out what another poster claimed was their experience with three of his wifes friends when it came to face to face, compared to what was said on WhatsApp.(which appears to fulfill the criterion for social media btw).

The post primary school year is 167 days I believe. If anyone working the average 40 hour week was to miss the equivalent of 13 weeks each year for 4 consecutive years, "proper" sick or not, they would in all likelihood be very lucky to be just placed on half pay for a probation period.

The real village idiots in this, (if as some say here they are a majority not in favour of this proposal), are the teachers who allowed this idiotic idea to even get too congress.

Primary is 183 days.

Conspiracy, 3 anxious teachers riiiight

Conspiracies generally tend to start from a small base though don`t they ?
    Very much the same characteristics as mushrooms in fact.

Primary is 183 days.

The ASTI (as in the title of this thread) represent primary school teachers ?

Seaandwind wrote: »
    But as you said, anonymous posters on the internet.

I am very much against striking before the end of this term and I am genuine in saying that, the teachers I have talked to all say similar. We are only a part of a large group of people but I do throughly believe the strike will be voted against. Again, I’m anonymous from the internet though!

I haven’t ever heard of people calling in sick so flippantly - pathetic if someone is going to call in sick without reason just to wait for their vaccine. To most teachers missing class time creates a lot of work as you still prepare a considerable amount of work to leave for students and then obviously catch up time. I actually think this sounds like a nightmare ��

I agree with much you say, especially on people calling in sick. But I still do not understand if, as you say, this proposed strike will be voted against, why the propsal even got through congress. Perhaps it might be an idea for teachers to be more aware of who is representing them at these congresses where year on year there appears to be a ballot on strike action for whatever reason.
    This continuous hint of a strike in September I do not get either, as in all likelihood teachers will have recieved at least their first shots of vaccine, if not both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

167 days? That is less than 1/2 days per year! Where do I sign up?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The ASTI (as in the title of this thread) represent primary school teachers ?

ASTzI represents post primary

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Dr. David Steadson looking at situation in Sweden, where B117 is prevelant strain now and they are up around 6000 cases today. He doesnt see it imporiving until schools go on break and then see it increasing again in Autumn.

But if we like studies about last term Dr. Diego Bassani Italian epidemiologist tweeted this study published April 9th
    REopening Italy's Schools in 2020

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.04.06.21254993v1

Sweden let COVID run out if control in its attempt to achieve herd Immunity. So any studies and comparisons are not apt to an Irish schools.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Look I'm a proud Asti member. Most parents got over whelmed with their two/three kids so were very glad to get their kids back to school. Avg teacher has about 25 kids but but you can't handle your own half the time.
    The vaccine roll out was badly planned.
    If age based vaccines were the best way... then why was this not the plan from the start?
    The Asti is right to be annoyed but its not a case for a strike. If we ever again it should be on equal pay or the terrible behavior of many teens and the failure of parents to discipline their darlings!

BettyS wrote: »

You would not last a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

BettyS wrote: »

I know and still never happy with out of touch unions.

Maybe it's time to reform the whole sector and privatise. It'd put a stop to most of the nonsense and would ensure that progressive changes weren't met with obstruction by unions at every turn.

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Look I'm a proud Asti member. Most parents got over whelmed with their two/three kids so were very glad to get their kids back to school. Avg teacher has about 25 kids but but you can't handle your own half the time.
    If age based vaccines were the best way... then why was this not the plan from the start?
    The Asti is right to be annoyed but its not a case for a strike. If we ever again it should be on equal pay or the terrible behavior of many teens and the failure of parents to discipline their darlings!

Yeah, that ASTI attitude at least you have it nailed.

Those students and parents are technically your customers (and employers) and yet you have such disdain for them, not surprising but I do wonder how anyone can be a good teacher and at the same time hold their students and families in such contempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Locotastic wrote: »
    I know and still never happy with out of touch unions.

Maybe it's time to reform the whole sector and privatise. It'd put a stop to most of the nonsense and would ensure that progressive changes weren't met with obstruction by unions at every turn.

Unions ruined or continue to ruin any chance of efficient state or semi state bodies

Locotastic wrote: »
    Yeah, that ASTI attitude at least you have it nailed.

Those students and parents are technically your customers (and employers) and yet you have such disdain for them, not surprising but I do wonder how anyone can be a good teacher and at the same time hold their students and families in such contempt.

I don't have disdain for parents. Kids are not my customers. That's patent bull****. Because if a customer told you to **** off and slammed a door in your face you would not admit that customer again.
    Most kids are fine.
    It's just a lot of people jump on the anti teacher bandwagon without thinking how difficult it is to manage their two kids or to reflect on their poor parenting.
    I'm not saying all parents are poor at raising their kids but a fair few
    God help these kids when they get a job and realise they are not the center of the universe.
    Most kids know they can get away with more in a school than the real world so don't make me laugh with customer analogies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭onrail

You would not last a day.

Nor would a teacher last a day in a profession in which they have no training, skills or experience. There are around 240 of them for most other people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I don't have disdain for parents. Kids are not my customers. That's patent bull****. Because if a customer told you to **** off and slammed a door in your face you would not admit that customer again.
    Most kids are fine.
    It's just a lot of people jump on the anti teacher bandwagon without thinking how difficult it is to manage their two kids or to reflect on their poor parenting.
    God help these kids when they get a job and realise they are not the center of the universe.
    Most kids know they can get away with more in a school than the real world so don't make me laugh with customer analogies!

Seems you made a poor career choice.

Never too late to change.

Most parents got overwhelmed trying to teach and mind their kids while holding down 2 jobs so they could earn money to pay wages for teachers who weren't working from March to September.

Someone had to keep the show on the road.

Most parents got overwhelmed trying to teach and mind their kids while holding down 2 jobs so they could earn money to pay wages for teachers who weren't working from March to September.

God help us. Teachers were working online March to June.
    As to two jobs. That is terrible - but cost of living is a different matter.
    I love the way people who never joined a union or encouraged one in their work places don't see the connection between that and their own working conditions. Trade unions are needed.
    I'm heading off now. But I will be voting no to any ballot.
    The government ****ed up about vaccination but its hardly worth a strike at this point?

I hope there is some serious change driven from what we've learnt this past year. One thing for sure there are sectors who have an ingrained culture to oppose change and are the least agile.

They will need to be looked at closely, education being one that I hope sees some serious reform.

Seems you made a poor career choice.

Never too late to change.
    The money is too good. Great holidays.
    Most kids are OK. But a huge amount of poor parenting out there

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Most kids are fine.

A fair few parents are poor at raising their kids? What % is “a fair few”?

No offence but I got my own kids to look after now.
    Depends on where you teach.
    You will figure it out teaching girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

No figuring out needed really.

I think your post says it all.

So you're too busy minding your kids to stay on boards yet you judge parents who can't cope because they have to work and mind their kids and home school them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Wow cesspit in here. Same characters as usual attacking teachers. I wonder what their motivations are because it's like obsession at this point.

Advertisement